ESP/ASR Not Functioning
  • Help
    mod
    Tadpole

Default ESP/ASR Not Functioning

My 2003 C5 Exclusive V6 (116,000 km) has refused to start intermittently recently. The first time it happened I called the RAA and the serviceman read the fault as a crankshaft position fault (paraphrased). The local agent replaced the sensor and all seemed well for a number of weeks.
    2nd time - called the RAA again, but when the serviceman arrived the car started!
    Next 2 or 3 times it happened I just waited a while, and the car started OK. It has happened again today - twice, both times after the car had been standing for more than an hour. The second time today was after dark, and I noticed that the message I have used as the title of this post appeared on the trip computer display, several seconds after I had attempted to start. I had left the key in the on position long enough for it to appear.
    The car eventually started and I drove home with the 'engine' and the 'Service' warnings illuminated. After restarting a couple of times "Anti Pollution fault" was displayed. After another restart that disappeared, as did the 'engine' and the 'Service' warning lights.
    Has anyone else had this fault? Or know what the fix is?
    Thanks

Advertisement

The litany of faults you describe may not be related.
    A diagnostic reading is in order to see what faults are recorded before clearing.

It could be as simple as a blocked catalytic converter or a fauled Oxygen/Lambda sensor.

Is it a case for giving the car a thrash up to the Flinders Ranges or Ceduna to clear out the system. I the car a town car?

mod
    Tadpole

Thanks for the replies.
    I'll take it to the agents tor fault reading tomorrow.
    Yes, it is a town car, but it has had a run up to the Flinders about a month ago. With the 110 limit here, even a country run doesn't 'thrash' the car. But even in town it gets the occasional full throttle to slot into traffic.

Fellow Frogger

Changed tyres recently? If you fit odd tyres on one end or even the same type, but one being relatively very worn, it can sometimes confuse the ABS due to the different rolling diameters. Check that. Also, how old is the battery? Get it checked and replace it if it's at all suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by mod View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'll take it to the agents tor fault reading tomorrow.
    Yes, it is a town car, but it has had a run up to the Flinders about a month ago. With the 110 limit here, even a country run doesn't 'thrash' the car. But even in town it gets the occasional full throttle to slot into traffic.
    Depends what gear you use......... The Mount Barker Road used to cure a few tuning problems!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information