Urgent help - Sydney
  • Help

Icon2 Urgent help - Sydney

A friend of ours has driven to Sydney in a '98 Xantia 2ltr Injection.

The car whilst fully serviced before the trip with special mention of the alternator is in need of a replacement alternator for the drive back to Brisbane. The intention was to leave for home today.

Advertisement

If anyone can help with a new or good secondhand replacement or may be able to offer any assistance please leave a message here.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    A friend of ours has driven to Sydney in a '98 Xantia 2ltr Injection.

The car whilst fully serviced before the trip with special mention of the alternator is in need of a replacement alternator for the drive back to Brisbane. The intention was to leave for home today.

If anyone can help with a new or good secondhand replacement or may be able to offer any assistance please call Rod on 0417 345 550

Cheers
    Chris
    Today is out, but if he gets hold of one and needs to fit it, tomorrow is good for me.

Jo

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Today is out, but if he gets hold of one and needs to fit it, tomorrow is good for me.

Jo
    Wow, thanks Jo, Rod has no tools with him so your offer could be his best option - just needs to get hold of an alternator today

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Wow, thanks Jo, Rod has no tools with him so your offer could be his best option - just needs to get hold of an alternator today

Cheers
    Chris
    Where is he located???

NRMA battery service vans replace alternators also, but I'd assume that would be at a premium price. They offer a fixed price quote though.

Jo

Where is he located???

NRMA battery service vans replace alternators also, but I'd assume that would be at a premium price. They offer a fixed price quote though.

Jo
    He has premium cover with RACQ but it seems it is still limited to towing the car to an appropriate service centre. Which would have him in Sydney until Tuesday...

He did tell me where he is located but I didn't pay much attention - eastern beach blah blah

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Chris, I just spoke to rod on the phone, and reiterated my offer to him.

With some luck he can get this sorted and be on his way. On the other hand, sydney is turning on the good weather today so there are worse places to be stuck.

Jo

Fellow Frogger

So, it sounds like he's making some progress with it. I'd agree that NRMA's service may be one of his few quick options this particular weekend. They come to the car too, whereas all other options are probably going to involve a drive across town and back. In terms of auto electricians, Tibby Rose comes to mind, but I couldn't even say if they are still around, let alone open today.

Who diagnosed the alternator? I had a cell die in the XM's battery last week and the indicator was still green, so you wouldn't necessarily trust that alone. He should have a reciprocal deal with RACQ / NRMA, so it would save a bit.

Could it just need a set of brushes? Can he pull the brushbox out?

I don't think this good weather is going to last Jo!

Tadpole

Thanks guys. We've been making calls all morning and the big problem is sourcing the part. We've tried the NRMA battery and alternator service and they don't have the part either. The crook alternator is marked as a Mitsubishi part with number 9619333280. The number doesn't seem to match in anyone's parts register. We'll keep trying for the part then we will certainly be happy to accept the generous offers of help. We'll keep you posted. Rod and Megan

Icon3

Chris, I just spoke to rod on the phone, and reiterated my offer to him.

With some luck he can get this sorted and be on his way. On the other hand, sydney is turning on the good weather today so there are worse places to be stuck.

Jo
    Thanks Jo, sometimes all it takes is some moral support, I know you and Rod would get on well - even if the car remained off the road until Tuesday - you'd find you and he have much in common

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    So, it sounds like he's making some progress with it. I'd agree that NRMA's service may be one of his few quick options this particular weekend. They come to the car too, whereas all other options are probably going to involve a drive across town and back. In terms of auto electricians, Tibby Rose comes to mind, but I couldn't even say if they are still around, let alone open today.

Who diagnosed the alternator? I had a cell die in the XM's battery last week and the indicator was still green, so you wouldn't necessarily trust that alone. He should have a reciprocal deal with RACQ / NRMA, so it would save a bit.

Could it just need a set of brushes? Can he pull the brushbox out?

I don't think this good weather is going to last Jo!
    David, I think NRMA did the diagnosis, Rod has spoken to Jason Hantos (thanks Craig ) who seems to confirm saying it's not un-common for oil (I guess LHM) to leak onto the alternator bringing about their early demise?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

We're checking for Tibby Rose. He's in Ryde.

Fellow Frogger

That 96... number is probably the Citroen reference number, not Mitsubishi's model number. There could be a few different alternators used and it would be common to some Pugs and other Citroens. Here's the parts page for a Xantia I, 2.0 8 valve with A/C (correct??), which seems to show the manufacturer's model numbers too. I would think you should also be able to fit a Valeo or Bosh alternative.

Leaking LHM from the pump is the common culprit. If it's oily, perhaps, try a can of something like 'Brakleen'? It washes the oil away and then evaporates. It may resurrect it, hopefully before Sunday morning!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urgent help - Sydney-xa_1_2.0_alt.jpg  

Tadpole

All avenues have closed for finding the part now...until Tuesday, so we'll try the Brakleen suggestion, thanks.

UFO

I just spoke with Dragan to see if he had a spare and no he doesn't. He DID however say that using brakeleen would be too strong. He suggested carby cleaner and/or WD40 and this will clean LHM etc out and may resurrect the alternator.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Crc 2.26 ???
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Thanks for advice - will try tomorrow
    Rod

Tadpole

Hi David - Thanks for the alternator ref. nos - will be very useful
    Cheers Rod

Hi.
    I have a mitsubishi alternator sitting around.
    It isn't the same as the one shown in the book up further on this post.
    Its a 4 pin plug.
    80mm between the bottom bolt flanges and 150mm overall excluding the pulley.
    The pulley on this is a normal fan belt.
    It is probably off a late 70's Mazda.

It may be no use to you, but if it is your welcome to it.
    My problem is that I'm out on family affair till this evening. Leave a reply or PM to this if its any help and I'll check it as soon as I walk in the door.
    I'm on the lower northern beaches.
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications. becoming a retirement project).
    BMW 530i M-sport Touring - 2003 (current drive car).
    Suzuki SX4 - 2009 (great car for the daughter).
    Mitsubishi ASX - 2018 (for the wife).
    Toyota Rav 4 - 1996 (Never say die. Service and tow vehicle. just keeps on going).

Icon6 Thanks to all who responded :>)

I received a text from Rod this afternoon, the car is back in service thanks to Jason Hantos.

Thank you to all who offered help and information. Rod will no doubt reply here once he has access to an internet connection

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Tadpole

Default Xantia in Sydney

Just a short note to thank all involved in getting us back on the road after the Easter break. Contacted Jason Hantos in Hornsby Heights, (thanks Chris), and what a contact he turned out to be! After limping from Bondi through the Sydney traffic, battery light glowing, we made it to Jason's workshop. He had the replacement alternator waiting and kindly loaned us his C5 to use while he repaired the car. We arrived home last night - the car ran faultlessly. Rod and Meg

Go jh!
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by essence403 View Post
    Just a short note to thank all involved in getting us back on the road after the Easter break. Contacted Jason Hantos in Hornsby Heights, (thanks Chris), and what a contact he turned out to be! After limping from Bondi through the Sydney traffic, battery light glowing, we made it to Jason's workshop. He had the replacement alternator waiting and kindly loaned us his C5 to use while he repaired the car. We arrived home last night - the car ran faultlessly. Rod and Meg
    You'd be ready for a nice cup of Earl Grey and a Ginger Nut

Your thanks for Jason's after hours phone number goes to UFO (Craig)

I know you had more offers of help other than those posted here, under the circumstances special thanks to Jo Proffi who volunteered his time and tools on an Easter Sunday

Sometimes Aussiefrogs gives you that warm fuzzy feeling

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information