Buttercup Bob's Bike Rack - photos anyone?
  • Help
    UFO

Default Buttercup Bob's Bike Rack - photos anyone?

Some may recall photos some years ago of the rear of Bob's DS19 (aka Buttercup) with a custom made (by Bob) bike rack on the rear that straddled the boot.

Someone on the UK club forum is trying to work out the best way to mount bikes on his DS and I mentioned Bob's rack, but I cannot find my photos of it.

Advertisement

Does anyone else have some, and if so could you please post them here?

thanks
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I was at Bob's place only a week ago. Had I known of this need I could have snapped away and obtained any photos needed. If Bob was able to find the bike rack.

Here is a description from memory.

It fits over the rear window of a D sedan.

The upper member is tubing, shaped to fit snugly in the curved section above the rear window and below the roof. (incidentally, this section, painted black, is the only part of the structure of a D sedan visible to an observer standing outside the car: everything else is covered by something removable.)

The lower section has a lip that fits under the upper boot lid seal and over the lower part of the rear window. I suspect this lip is not full length but has a couple of short sections.

There is a lower member that joins the two lip sections, and a pair of members that join the upper and lower members. The are arched a little to keep the structure away from the rear window.

Attached somewhere toward the top of the thing, I think to each vertical-ish member, are a pair of front wheel clamp axles. It might be possible to make a version for more than two bikes.

To mount the rack, raise the boot lid, insert the top of the rack in its mounting area and place the bottom of the rack on the rear window. Close the boot lid over the lips in the rack.

To mount the bikes, remove the front wheels, clamp the front forks in the rack and allow the rear wheels to sit on the boot lid. Carry the front wheels of the bikes in the car.

Advantages:

One piece, relatively compact and flat to store.

Quick, easy mounting of bikes.

Bikes are held securely.

Carries more than one bike.

Bike wheels are held and cannot turn.

Bikes and rack do not add to the height of the car.

If this is not enougn help, call Bob directly and ask him for a photo. If you don'thave his number, PM me.

Roger

PS Buttercup is under cover, awaiting seal replacement. I provided subtle encouragement.

DS

The best I can do is a pic I took here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/2734851722/ Shows you how low bikes sit.
    It really was a simple device and I love the way it uses the rear window curved channel as a resting point.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

UFO

Thanks All! Rather than repost all the useful info I have linked the thread.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Do you mean like this????

I knew I had these pics, they were taken at Cit-In 2006, at the homestead Dubbo I think...

john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

In fact scrub that, it wasn't the homestead, it was Dubbo Zoo.

john s

Good work, Smiffy. It looks as though I got everything right in my description except for the lack of a lower crossbar. And the fact the bikes stick up higher than I implied.

I note a couple of dodgy characters in those photos, especially the bloke in the hat.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Good work, Smiffy. It looks as though I got everything right in my description except for the lack of a lower crossbar. And the fact the bikes stick up higher than I implied.

I note a couple of dodgy characters in those photos, especially the bloke in the hat.

Roger
    Funny you should mention that Roger, I'm sure I've seen him someplace too....

I really must try harder to sort out my affairs, it's been too long since I was last down under!

UFO

Thanks Smiffy - yes that is the zoo, and you've also given me a reference point to go looking for further pics. Your compatriots should be please that you have found the pics!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks Guys, That's fantastic... I posted my original question on the UK CCC web site, but the response here has been excellent thanks to Craig.

If I can fabricate something that'll take 4 mountain bikes, I might just be able to convince the family to ditch the Volvo XC90 and take the DS to France for our annual holiday. Failing that we'll definitely have it rigged up for the ICCCR in Harrogate in August.

Once I've got it finished, I'll post details here
    Last edited by achammer; 8th April 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information