decent replacement tyres for '02 c5
  • Help

Default decent replacement tyres for '02 c5

i need 2 rear tyres, and will likely buy 4 tyres, as the fronts are a cheap chinese tyre(perform and are wearing fine, but still) that the dealer fitted before selling.

Advertisement

what are decent, but relatively budget tyre for this car. i know it is a different size than usual 215/55/16 i'm hoping to get out of it for under $800.

You can use a 60series aspect ratio tyre.
    The result is a 3% inrease in rolling diameter.
    Simply put, when the speedo is reading 100kph, you will be 3kph quicker than that.

If your speedo is 100% accurate at 100kph that is!

Right, that bit's over, now you can look at 215/60/16, I'm using Bridgestone Turanza (Serenity - the new tread pattern). Beautifully quiet, excellent grip and handling, it is a top of the line Bridgestone and you'll buy them for below your budget.

Should you feel you need the #55 series aspect ratio, you might still sneak in.

This is my second set of this exact tyre on a C5. We also have them on a late model VW Golf, my wifes car. You could say I'm sold on them.

Hope this helps provide an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    I'm using Bridgestone Turanza (Serenity - the new tread pattern). Beautifully quiet, excellent grip and handling, it is a top of the line Bridgestone and you'll buy them for below your budget.
    +1

I have been using Bridgestone Turanza for a while now. All the tyres I have tried, except Turanza, started loosing the edge in the wet after about 10K, Turanza would do the same but after about 30K.

I used to have steep up hill intersection with traffic lights near my home and it was a challenge to avoid wheel spin in the wet with anything but Turanza after the first 10K.

thanks. is that the er300 on the bridgestone site?

edit: what are the legalities of going from w to v in speed rating, from an insurance pov? and actually, what about 205 vs 215 width, to keep the diameter the same?

Go and see or phone a dealer Simon, they're more reliable than the website with regard to stock. I bought from the Bridgestone store in Hobart.
    Ring your insurance company and ask.

If you get caught doing more than 210kph, I don't think insurance is going to save you ;-)

Fellow Frogger!

Simon,

Do an Ebay search for that size. I have just bought a set of Kumho KU 27 ( 215/55/16 97 W rated, that is even higher spec than the 93 W demanded by the door sticker These things are rated with a 600 treadwear life too ) for $120 a piece plus delivery which amounted to $35 per pair.... ex Sydney... to Brisbane .. add a local fitting charge and you are still way ahead...especially when the RRP is approaching $300 each. ( $320 for the Michelin " equivalent " ) There is a Pirelli P6 alternative and a Cinturato pattern on offer too.
    There are many Chinese sourced tyres available in that size at frankly unbelievable prices .. too good to be true ??? I am yet to risk it.

Toyo Teo Plus have proven to be good, beautifully quiet, but are only V rated in the 215/55/16 size.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    edit: what are the legalities of going from w to v in speed rating, from an insurance pov? and actually, what about 205 vs 215 width, to keep the diameter the same?
    Speed rating, no drama having under spec, as long as you dont go too low, like retreads in which case you may need to have a sticker warning drivers of crap tyres.

Load rating on the other must be equal or better than what is on the door placard.

205 to 215 is within the general owner specified modifications limit. Off the top of my head its around 20mm wider or narrower.
    It might also vary from state to state.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Simon,

Do an Ebay search for that size. I have just bought a set of Kumho KU 27 ( 215/55/16 97 W rated, that is even higher spec than the 93 W demanded by the door sticker
    Its worthing noting as general advice that if you up the tyre load rating, comfort may suffer if the sidewall has less flex than a lower rated tyre might have.
    I dont mind doing so as I find the under stressed tyre works well when at the ragged edge, and also takes longer to warm up and cook, but for 'normal' driving, thats probably not a huge consideration compared to the added pothole protection they offer.

Jo

Thread Information