Ignition Switch problem
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Ignition Switch problem

My D spec has just developed an unusual problem.When I turn off the Ignition the starter motor gets a very short pulse Its very annoying ,and probably damaging so I willhave to fix it soon.Has anyone had this issue?
    Woody

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    My D spec has just developed an unusual problem.When I turn off the Ignition the starter motor gets a very short pulse Its very annoying ,and probably damaging so I willhave to fix it soon.Has anyone had this issue?
    Woody
    What year D, Woody? I'm assuming late 3rd nose (3-dial dash), manual trans.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Ign Switch

Its a 1975 4s Manual
    Woody

Had the same happen with our 2CV It has a steering wheel lock /ignition/starter combined .I was concerned something was sticking inside it. A squirt of WD 40 into the key slot seems to have fixed it.
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

It sounds like the seating cups for the contacts have worn. Try Bobsie's suggestion first (do not use graphite- it's conductive and will cause all sorts of heartburn). If that doesn't do it, you can try a simple test. Start the car, with the instrument cluster out. This should give you access to the ignition switch wiring. You will find two wires that go into the ignition switch that are separate of the 6-pin block connector. The color code sleeves are brown and white respectively. Pull one of those two wires loose from the switch (they're 4mm pins), then shut the car off. If you have no more grinding, you've found the problem. Attach a length of wire (that has had male bullet connectors added) to both the brown and the white sleeved wires. Attach the other end to a starter button switch. Both wires will go to the switch. Take care to ensure the added wires are attached to the harness side, not the ignition switch side of the brown and white terminals, or else nothing will start. Insulate the button switch terminals well. It will be up to you if you want to mount the button somehow, or just leave it loose until you can repair or replace the ignition switch.

To start the car, simply turn the ignition switch to ignition, then push the start button. Take care that the anti-repeat function will also be disabled if you do this. This "fix" should bypass the problem you're having.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Also, if you wind up replacing the ignition switch, remember that there are two different switches for the 3-dial dashes- one for the BVM, one for the BVH. The BVH switch does not have those two additional wires because the start function is through a remote switch at the gear lever. You can use a BVH switch in a pinch, but you would have to retain the push button to start.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your helpful comments HRE,as I dont feel inclined to replace the Ign switch at the moment I have bypassed the problem as you ariginaly proposed . To do this I have combined the output from the Ign S with a signal from the LHS fan using a relay which in turn operates the Starter, I just have to remember to turn off the fan!It also doubles as an antitheft device,
    Woody

Excellent. That should work nicely.

Thread Information