Richo's carb fitting and other carburettor issues
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Richo's carb fitting and other carburettor issues

I decided yesterday to wake my '57 (not '56) DS19 from it's long slumber down in the farm shed. A new pump suction hose, reconnect some errant wires, put the workshop battery on charge, and turn attention to the carburettor. First job was to fit one of Richo's carburettor inlet fittings so off with the carb top and attempt to remove the brass tube.
    Some minutes later, after successively brutal attempts to remove said tube, it was obvious that this was the one that went against common wisdom. I had to set the carb top up in the vertical mill and (very) carefully drill out the tube. Once that was done it was a breeze to tap out the boss and fit Richo's fitting.
    All was not done however. When I went to re-attach the pivot pin for the float, I managed to break one of the pivot pin lugs - combination of 50 year old zinc alloy and lack of care on my part. Oh, merde. This is probably the only early DS part that I dont have a spare.
    After I recovered some composure I set about making and fitting a brass support piece for the broken lug and this appears to be a working solution.
    However I would like to get hold of a replacement carb top or complete carburettor - it's a Weber 24/30 DCJC. I know it's a long shot, but anyone out have one?
    roger

Advertisement

Sorry Roger, mine is a Zenith. I have a Plan B, though. I'll be at Buttercup Bob's place on the weekend and could ask him if you wish. If I manage to obtain one from him I'll drop it in on my way through on on Wednesday afternoon.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Sorry Roger, mine is a Zenith. I have a Plan B, though. I'll be at Buttercup Bob's place on the weekend and could ask him if you wish. If I manage to obtain one from him I'll drop it in on my way through on on Wednesday afternoon.

Roger
    Sounds good, Roger. I should be here on wed am, look forward to catching up.
    roger

Wednesday afternoon. Next week.

No guarantees, but I will try.

Is the pivot lug part of the carb top?

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

that's interesting, i thought I'd try hunting around to see if I could find that carby on any other types of car ... The only reference google finds to "Weber DCJC" is this thread here. Is the model number of the carby right?

If Bob can't help, the DS lists could be worth a try? Can you post a piccie of the carby. If it's similar to the later DS carbies I can help.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi there . You could try Steve Hammond of Citroenfan. he is based in Sylmar,Los Angeles.California. I do know he does Weber carb overhauls for Citroen ID/DS cars,he was very helpful in sourcing a choke rod clip for me. His email address is steve@citraulics.com his website is www. citraulics.com Good luck and cheers. Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    that's interesting, i thought I'd try hunting around to see if I could find that carby on any other types of car ... The only reference google finds to "Weber DCJC" is this thread here. Is the model number of the carby right?

If Bob can't help, the DS lists could be worth a try? Can you post a piccie of the carby. If it's similar to the later DS carbies I can help.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Seems I'm dyslexic. The model number is 24/30 DCLC. The nameplate is on the rocker cover side of the carburettor, and I had to use a mirror to read it. I transposed the L to a J. The pre-62 DS19 workshop manual refers to either a Weber 24/30 DCZCI or 24/30 DCLC.
    Attached are a couple of photos.
    roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richo's carb fitting and other carburettor issues-weber2430dclc_1.jpg   Richo's carb fitting and other carburettor issues-weber2430dclc_2.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Wednesday afternoon. Next week.

No guarantees, but I will try.

Is the pivot lug part of the carb top?

Roger
    Thanks Roger. The pivot lug is an integral part of the top casting.
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    ... The only reference google finds to "Weber DCJC" is this thread here.....
    Totally OT, but I've googled DS stuff myself to come right back to the aussiefrog thread I was tracking. Twilight Zone stuff! The light at the end of the tunnel might not be a freight train, but rather a mirror reflecting back your own flashlight......

Quote Originally Posted by wiley_coyote View Post
    Totally OT,
    Twilight Zone stuff!
    Even more OT, but my greatest internet Twilight Zone experience was googling Cheviot sheep (I breed them) to find a page on the University of Oklahoma website using word for word a description I had written myself several years earlier for publicity use in Australia. Now it has an official university imprimateur and has even been quoted in the Wikipedia entry on Cheviot sheep. Sometimes it does not take much to turn a rough guess, hearsay or even PR puffery into "truth".

Here on Aussiefrogs, however, I try to share only knowledge. Where I choose to share guesses or hearsay I try to label them as such.

Roger

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Even more OT, but my greatest internet Twilight Zone experience was googling Cheviot sheep (I breed them) to find a page on the University of Oklahoma website using word for word a description I had written myself several years earlier for publicity use in Australia. Now it has an official university imprimateur and has even been quoted in the Wikipedia entry on Cheviot sheep. Sometimes it does not take much to turn a rough guess, hearsay or even PR puffery into "truth".

Here on Aussiefrogs, however, I try to share only knowledge. Where I choose to share guesses or hearsay I try to label them as such.

Roger
    That seems a bit of a conundrum- do you ask them to take it down because it's your work without proper accredation, or do you leave it up because it's your work, even if it hasn't been properly credited? That's a tad egregious, the UoO using your work without so much as a by-your-leave.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

It's not that egregious. U of O does refer to the Cheviot Sheepbreeders Association of Australia in its list of references, which is the body that published the information leaflet I wrote. I was Vice President of it at the time. I think that it adequate attribution. The leaflet does not have an author's byline. I imagine U of O contacted all livestock breeder organisations they could find, asking them for information. The bit that freaked me out was seeing the first couple of lines in the google search output, and recognising them as my own!

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vergaser-W...-/360392568218

This is all I found. I'll look more later
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

It's not that egregious. U of O does refer to the Cheviot Sheepbreeders Association of Australia in its list of references, which is the body that published the information leaflet I wrote. I was Vice President of it at the time. I think that it adequate attribution. The leaflet does not have an author's byline. I imagine U of O contacted all livestock breeder organisations they could find, asking them for information. The bit that freaked me out was seeing the first couple of lines in the google search output, and recognising them as my own!

Roger
    OK, I gotcha now. The way that first read to me, they had simply ripped your work off- absolutely not cool. You say they did credit you, so everything is back to right. Sorry to jump so suddenly, I just don't like seeing someone's work wronged like that.

The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    I decided yesterday to wake my '57 (not '56) DS19 from it's long slumber down in the farm shed. A new pump suction hose, reconnect some errant wires, put the workshop battery on charge, and turn attention to the carburettor. First job was to fit one of Richo's carburettor inlet fittings so off with the carb top and attempt to remove the brass tube.

However I would like to get hold of a replacement carb top or complete carburettor - it's a Weber 24/30 DCJC. I know it's a long shot, but anyone out have one?
    roger
    Roger, I can ask around and see what I come up with here. It may be a while, though. '57 Ds are pretty rare here, too. I #might# be able to get Area 52 to cough one up, but that won't be for a couple of months. You might try PMing Steve (Citroenfan), see if he can help.

Fellow Frogger!

I use to have a complete one - but that was some time ago. It got cleaned, rebuilt, and is now on an early D in Canada.

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Roger, I can ask around and see what I come up with here. It may be a while, though. '57 Ds are pretty rare here, too. I #might# be able to get Area 52 to cough one up, but that won't be for a couple of months. You might try PMing Steve (Citroenfan), see if he can help.
    Thanks for your interest. The repair I made to the existing top should be long lasting but I would like to source a complete carburettor in the longer term.
    regards,
    roger

I'm now at Bob's place. We will have a look tomorrow morning.

Roger

Thread Information