C5 remote key got wet
  • Help

Default C5 remote key got wet

Hi folks my 2003 C5 key was left in my pocket when I went surfing. It worked first try after and I thought it would be OK. But no. I pulled it apart and dried all the bits but still doesn't work. Does anyone know how I go about getting a replacement/repair/second hand key and reprogramming it?
    cheers
    Tony

Advertisement

You will loose nothing so try this. Rinse thoroughly in fresh water and dry in the sun. Salt water is a conductor so there is probably residual salt on the board that is shorting something out. Hopefully no permanent damage has been done
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

Try the rinse method first and even blow it dry with compressed air if possible. Since you've still got the key blade, you should be able to get a used circuit board and have it coded to the car. I'd expect it will require the security codes for the car, which a dealer would be able to obtain if you don't have them.

1000+ Posts

In keeping with the above:

Remove the battery. If the salt has operated as a conductor it may well have discharged by now.

Flush and soak in demineralised/distilled water for a couple of hours. Blow dry with compressed air and dry. Try wrapping it in a tea towel and leaving on a mild heat source, eg the top of an espresso machine for a couple of hours.

Replace the battery with a new one, reassemble and give a shot
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    You will loose nothing so try this. Rinse thoroughly in fresh water and dry in the sun. Salt water is a conductor so there is probably residual salt on the board that is shorting something out. Hopefully no permanent damage has been done
    That worked when I dropped my short wave radio into the salt water pool! Straight under the tap - I was immobilised otherwise with shock and bad language.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

Citroën CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

For water affected equipment (phones, computers etc) I recently heard an ABC Radio electronics boffin suggest..

- don't turn it on!
    - drain out what you can.
    - flush in demineralised water if salt-affected.
    - disassemble as much as practicable, place in a box and cover everything with (highly absorbent) rice.
    - replenish with fresh rice, as needed, after vacuuming soggy old rice away with a soft bristle attachment.
    - leave it as above for a full week, before your first attempt.

He exampled a flood-affected I-Pad, with water literally pouring out of it, functioned perfectly after the above procedure.

Go through the flushing process but don't put it on a mild heat source....stick it in a bowl of rice. The rice will draw out the moisture.

Fellow Frogger

Place it in a sealed container/bag with a dessicant product like Damp-Rid would be another way to dry it out.

Default source of key circuit board for C5

thanks everyone.

I did dry it thoroughly and replace the battery, but I think the mistake I made was using it a couple of times and of course pushing the button to try it again and again. If it was wet when I did this it probably shorted out. So I think what I will need is a new/used circuit board to try to reprogram to suit my car. Despite living with cars for years with just a key I have got used to the convenience of pushing the button and I loved the window button to close or open the windows when not in the car. So I feel the loss.
    Anyway can anyone suggest a source of a circuit board, new or used?

cheers

Tony

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    thanks everyone.

I did dry it thoroughly and replace the battery, but I think the mistake I made was using it a couple of times and of course pushing the button to try it again and again. If it was wet when I did this it probably shorted out. So I think what I will need is a new/used circuit board to try to reprogram to suit my car. Despite living with cars for years with just a key I have got used to the convenience of pushing the button and I loved the window button to close or open the windows when not in the car. So I feel the loss.
    Anyway can anyone suggest a source of a circuit board, new or used?

cheers

Tony
    Check ebay UK, a quick search turned up this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XS...item3cc40483ff

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

thanks Chris,
    I just bought a key on ebay for less than $20 including postage. Does anyone know what is involved in reprogramming it so it works in my key case? I noticed the local key cutter advertising this service. What numbers are needed etc.
    cheers Tony
    Last edited by deesse; 10th April 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information