Xantia power drain
  • Help

Icon5 Xantia power drain

Got a constant 5-10 w drain from battery when turned of and nothing on any ideas as this is killing the battery over 24 hours and it is giving me the sh**s

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

UFO

Have you recently fitted a new CD player or something and did like I did with the CX some time ago and connected the switched power to constant supply?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon11 done nothing honest govner

I have not touched the car and it gets driven every second day and its got a new battery cause I thought that could be the problem to no avail Checking circuits seems to be the clock fuse 25 and 30 so difficult to follow the wiring on this car compared with the oldies??
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger

Could the glovebox light unit have fallen out and is staying on??? Just a longshot idea.

Hi Archy,

Has it always done this? Mine will certainly flatten its battery if left undriven for about 4 days and it has a high capacity Supercharge battery.

Do your window motor and radio steering wheel controls glow dimly at night like mine do?

I just replaced the radio in my Series 2 Xantia and to get the steering wheel controls to work reliably, I had to connect them to the permanent 12 volt line to the radio rather then the switched 12 volt line.

Are you sure you are not measuring the current going to the 'keep the suspension soft' solenoids that hum for about a minute after you unlock the car or open a door?

Cheers,

Ken W

JBN

I likewise changed my battery (an NRMA one but with the same size negative and positive battery posts so the original earth lead fitted snuggly). It died even though I was doing a few long trips Sydney - Melbourne. I always drive with headlights on in the daytime (its a silver car and camouflages well with worn bitumen).

Ended up getting a Supercharge one, which was a tight fit and had the Australian large positive post and smaller negative post. The battery light has come on momentarily at times and once I couldn't start the car - dead battery?

Since my battery charger had also died (I sparked it by mistake), I bought another one from Jaycar - $89 for a smart charger. Hooked it up, let it charge and was surprised that it was fully charged after about 30 minutes. I don't think the battery was a problem. I do think that electrics and Citroen are always a problem.

The good thing about the Jaycar chargers is that you can leave them hooked up for indefinate periods and they will cycle the battery. Great for cars that are seldom used.

Since my aircon switch doesn't work (or maybe the switch is OK but everything else isn't) and since the blower fan doesn't work, I reckon the fact that the car starts and runs is fairly good. As a bonus, all the electric windows also work so I get speed related cooling. If it is a mild winter, I can live without heating.

John

Icon11 Discharge is key out battery across negative

I do not know whether the hydraactive system could have failed a bit of a grumble coming from the rear on park up and have not listened for the diode hum lately too busy trying to find a battery with charge to start the bi**h of a car well there is always the old reliable ute or I could pump the tires up on one of the gs's or put the new starter motor in the D,or put the radiator back in the SM,or finish putting the drive shafts in the ID,or re gass the A/C in the16V
    bugger it it's bedtime think about it tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Hi

Has it always done this? Mine will certainly flatten its battery if left undriven for about 4 days and it has a high capacity Supercharge battery.

Do your window motor and radio steering wheel controls glow dimly at night like mine do?

I just replaced the radio in my Series 2 Xantia and to get the steering wheel controls to work reliably, I had to connect them to the permanent 12 volt line to the radio rather then the switched 12 volt line.

Are eyou sure you are not measuring the current going to the 'keep the suspension soft' solenoids that hum for about a minute after you unlock the car or open a door?

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    I do not know whether the hydraactive system could have failed a bit of a grumble coming from the rear on park up and have not listened for the diode hum lately too busy trying to find a battery with charge to start the bi**h of a car well there is always the old reliable ute or I could pump the tires up on one of the gs's or put the new starter motor in the D,or put the radiator back in the SM,or finish putting the drive shafts in the ID,or re gass the A/C in the16V
    bugger it it's bedtime think about it tomorrow
    Hahaha I just had such a laugh, so glad to see that I'm not the only one with almost finished projects!!
    Remember Rome wasn't built in one day

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Could the glovebox light unit have fallen out and is staying on??? Just a longshot idea.
    Not such a long shot. I've seen stupider stuff than this kill a battery.

Archrival, if you have access to an analog multimeter, there is a test you can run to see if you can pipoint the problem circuit. It's very simple, really. Set the meter to DC volts. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Connect the meter in series with the cable and the battery post- positive lead to post, negative lead to cable. Your draw should show up on the meter. Begin pulling fuses one at a time, and note the needle movement. If no needle movement by the time you get to the end of the box, the problem is probably on a battery fed unit, like the alternator or the starter. If you have access , check the ignition switch, too. MIND THE AIRBAGS.

Make sure you get all fuseboxes and accessory fuses (I.E., aftermarket radio and lights)- this is where a lot of problems pop up.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Just a thought. I've got a feeling that there's a fuse you can move into one of two positions, switched or continuous supply.

I seem to recall that if this fuse is in the continuous position it feeds the little globes in the window switches and others as mentioned above.

If a previous owner has not wanted the radio to be switched via the accessory switch, then they may have selected this option.

5-10W would sort of line up with this kind of load.

Worth checking anyway.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Got a constant 5-10 w drain from battery when turned of and nothing on any ideas as this is killing the battery over 24 hours and it is giving me the sh**s
    Hi
    Disconnect the bat+ from the alternator before taking a battery discharge reading . If it's zero, you have a diode leakage in the alternator. Common problem.
    Cheers.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'm going to buy one of those "disconnnect" battery terminals for my cars. The CX will flatten it's battery dead in a week if it's not driven (which seriously p!$$es you off if you need it on the spur of the moment). I've taken to lifting the earth terminal everytime it gets parked in the shed.

I've also noticed the XM will flatten it's battery over a few weeks if not driven too... I wouldnt' be surprised if it's the alarm there both fitted with.... I'll look someday

Just pull a fuse one at a time until the current drain goes away. Then figure out what they fuse runs. This should start to narrow down your problem.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I can accept a week or 2 but this happened over 24hours with a new battery and I have done nothing to the car other than drive it . Will look at the obvious ie glove box and trunk light but as said before it seems to be draining from the clock-temp circuit and I think this is linked in to the coded key factory immobiliser system .the other thing is that it may bethe new calcium battery with all this super circuits why doesn't it act like the Cadillac any power drain for more than 10minutes with key out and the car goes into isolated power saving mode

JBN

Can you start the Caddy and run it into the Xantia. The offspring of this mating might end up being your perfect car....or the bastard from hell.

John

Default The missus would have no trouble

If the cars were within 100m of each other she would find away but it would be a very gentle tap as 40kph is as fast as she drives
    Discovered the fault stuck trunk switch and dodgy new battery

Fellow Frogger!

Had a similar problem with a Renault years ago, the micro switch on the boot light had failed so the boot light stayed on with the boot shut, the power drain is about right for that, give it a check even tho it is a long shot.

Regards

agd123

If the cars were within 100m of each other she would find away but it would be a very gentle tap as 40kph is as fast as she drives
    Discovered the fault stuck trunk switch and dodgy new battery
    New batteries aren't always fully charged either, so if there's a leak, the first night can be enough.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information