Considering buying a Citroen Berlingo....
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Considering buying a Citroen Berlingo....

Hi,
    I am thinking about buying a 2005 Berlingo and my main concern is the cost of repairs...
    I was wondering if you can buy aftermarket parts, etc?
    Is it more expensive to have general services done on it than a more common Ford/Holden/etc?
    We have only ever owned Ford, Mazda, Toyota over the years, so I'm a bit worried that the upkeep/repair costs will cost a fortune.
    Hopefully someone can give me some advice....
    Thanks,
    Susan

BTW....Great place to find out info!!

Advertisement

Default berlingo

berlingos would have to be the cheapest citroen to service and very easy to do yourself
    i did mine until it had done 300,000 kms blew head gsket so we threw it away
    it was very reliable and great ride for a small comercial
    genuine parts should be to dear but shop around we use wesco filters and semi synthetic fuchs oil

Tadpole

Default Do it

We have a 06 Berlingo - great van - v reliable - parts are common with a long line of pug/Cit vehicles for mechanicals. The stuff u can cart about is unreal. General servicing is quite affordable.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi
    I had a '00 Berlingo till recently.

Great vehicle and doesn't have the complicated mechanicals / suspension / engine that you associate with Citroen. Any mechanic should be able to do the basic services.
    Also the Berlingos have been a popular seller for Citroen and there are enough around. Look on ebay etc and you'll see the odd wreck available for spares.

regards,
    Glenn

Fellow Frogger

Generally, they are reliable, but do make sure the gearbox is quiet and gears change easily. Clutch cables can become a bit gritty with age and are not expensive, but don't confuse this with a bad clutch. If a noisy gearbox is simply ignored for too long, it can end badly. Drivers as opposed to owners often try to ram them into reverse gear and that can damage the gear linkages. If treated well, they are certainly capable of very high mileages. There are both Haynes and Russek manuals available for the Berlingo.

DS

I have a 2005 Berlingo. Great thing for running around town in. I think it can take a bigger payload than a Holden ute!
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

I have a 2005 Berlingo. It's been cheap enough to own, though I really wouldn't want to own one in rural QLD.

If you load it up it has a nice ride, and the air conditioning is handy. They are the only two redeeming points though. It's terrible to drive otherwise and has a woeful driving position.

Tadpole

Thanks everyone for your opinions and I think it will be the way to go for us....
    brenno.....thanks for that....though I only need it for a bit of a town 'runabout' and mainly to have on hand to take our giant breed dogs to a few dogshows. We were thinking about getting a ute with canopy, or a sedan with a dog trailer, but I think a small van will suit our purpose well.....we were mostly worried about the running costs. As for smooth rides....it couldn't be much worse than the little Suzuki Jimny I am driving now

Tadpole

I also had a 2004 berlingo probabley the best van ive had! Couldnt fault it, make sure if you get one the timing belt has been done or will be done on time!!

Thread Information