'02 c5 brake piston winding
  • Help

Default '02 c5 brake piston winding

is there an easier way to do this? currently i'm winding in the drivers front piston. i'm making very slow progress and soon i think my dodgy job of using a ratchet driver in the centre hole is starting to get to the end of it's usefullness.

i'm doing it with the brake fluid cap off in the engine bay. is it easier to just crack the bleed nipple and clamp off the main hose though?

i gave up for the night as it was taking too long. will continue in the morning.

also, i managed to knock off the suspension fluid hose that sits behind the strut. it isnt pressurised, but the wierd clamp is being a b%^& to re-attach. i cable tied it back on to prevent anything bad happening overnight. is there a special tool i need to get the clamp to re-clamp?

cheers.

Advertisement

Simon, you have to push and turn to wind the piston back. You don't need to undo any hydraulic parts as when the brakes or off fluid can return (otherwise how would the brakes release).

I presume it is similar to the Xantia and BX system, I use a screwdriver across the slots in the piston. A mongrel of a job but worth it as you don't have to adjust the handbrakes every service like you do on a CX
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I cut a bit of steel plate the thickness of the slot. It slides into the slot and you turn until it hits the caliper, then you slid it in and turn from the other end.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger

Consider Buying a set of piston turning tools. They are not expensive and usually come with adapters for many cars. One side has a left hand thread and that will become obvious if not already!

The strut return pipe must be securely located or you will have a significant loss of LDS when you drive the car. Replace both return pipes if the rubber is not supple - same part as for Xantia and XM, but not BX. You should be able to fit the clamp to it's first notch by hand and then use a pair of pliers to tighten it to the next one. If the clamp fell off easily, then it may have been damaged anyway. The clamp is surprisingly expensive, so you could remove the pad from the band and secure it with a large hose clamp. The pad spreads the load so that it seals properly against the strut.
    Last edited by David S; 18th March 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks asalways David, and also to Gerry and Fred.

i had already thought about buying a hose clamp for the return pipe. i'll also look for the piston turner. would regular automotive shops sell them? (supercheap auto and the like?)

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    Thanks asalways David, and also to Gerry and Fred.

i had already thought about buying a hose clamp for the return pipe. i'll also look for the piston turner. would regular automotive shops sell them? (supercheap auto and the like?)
    Yes but don't tell them you're working on a Citroen because they'll make up some bull story about how it won't work blah blah blah......
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

late notice, but i rode my bike to the local sprint auto parts and bought one of those cube tools and various hose clamps. the tool worked great and job was done in only a few minutes. one of the hose clamps was the perfect size and solved that issue too.

Thread Information