Does anyone know the formula for AC104 Gris Sable?
  • Help

Default Does anyone know the formula for AC104 Gris Sable?

I need to get some paint mixed up for my Safari and AC104 Gris Sable (from 1963) is what I want.

It's not on the system that paint shops in this country use, but the local paint shop only needs the exact tint formula to be able to produce it.

I've tried googling to find it, but I imagine my inability to speak or understand French might be one of the reasons I can't find it.

Can anyone help me to find the formula?

(I know that there are squillions of other colours that are very close that I could choose from, but I want AC104, nothing else)

Advertisement

OK...

I ve spoken to my supplier

NOMIX tech department came back to me with this formula for AC 104 GRIS SABLE
    Only available in 2PAC 600 range...

I asked for the formula to make 1 LITRE

results are as follows (kinda like eurovision as she had an accent)

633 467.6 gm

631 640.5 gm

601 45.1 gm

603 10.4 gm

I d suggest your supplier either speaks to "their supplier" or the technical department at NOMIX

http://conceptpaints.com.au/contact_us/

dino

ps... do not for one second assume above formula is correct... I am only passing info onwards and upwards ... please make sure your supplier consults and confirms formula first... I d advise sample mix as well to confirm.
    Last edited by dino; 16th March 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Default Wow, thanks

Brilliant, thanks Dino. Will try to get a sample and see what it looks like before ordering 4 litres.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Dino,

have you ever tried that nomix paint. I googled it and the (very few) references I could find were very positive ..... Hmmm.... it's cheap too.

http://www.sedl.com.au/catalog/index...h=81_88&page=3

As for the colour code bit .... I'd be surprised if it's the exact colour. I found they only had the acrylic colour codes in the past with PPG, so what they did was lookup the colour chips for the colour. Then grab the urethane colour chips.... and compare them, it wasn't difficult to find a pretty much identical colour in the other paint system, then mix to the recipe of that colour (if that makes sense).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

yeahhh I ve tried it... for small repairs... havent used it for bigger jobs... last big job I did was with chem-tech... and the black they mixed for me came up very nice...
    The nomix stuff seems good and we have supplied it to both backyarders and panels shops... ohhh I just remembered we used it on my brothers golf... painter thought it was pretty good... but admittedly he wasnt that great so.... in one ear and out the other regarding his advice...

When I get to painting the D I m going to hunt for industry "best"... I dont know who that is at the moment... nowhere near that stage...

dino

Fellow Frogger

What about 'Rusty Green' Dino?

Hi-Chem probably has it listed by the colour code and name too. The formulations is going to vary from one manufacturer to another though.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    What about 'Rusty Green' Dino?

Hi-Chem probably has it listed by the colour code and name too. The formulations is going to vary from one manufacturer to another though.
    ohhh I think I ll just get them to mix me some " citroen green"... The "rusty" part of the formula I already have plenty of...

dino

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    OK...

I ve spoken to my supplier

NOMIX tech department came back to me with this formula for AC 104 GRIS SABLE
    Only available in 2PAC 600 range...

I asked for the formula to make 1 LITRE

results are as follows (kinda like eurovision as she had an accent)

633 467.6 ml

631 640.5 ml

601 45.1 ml

603 10.4 ml

I d suggest your supplier either speaks to "their supplier" or the technical department at NOMIX

http://conceptpaints.com.au/contact_us/

dino

ps... do not for one second assume above formula is correct... I am only passing info onwards and upwards ... please make sure your supplier consults and confirms formula first... I d advise sample mix as well to confirm.
    But surely this adds up to more than 1 litre? Unless you allow for 163 ml evaporation...

Cheers,

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by bernardrubingh View Post
    But surely this adds up to more than 1 litre? Unless you allow for 163 ml evaporation...

Cheers,

Bernard
    different paints have different weights... I ve made the correction to grams instead of mls....
    Above is a reasonably simple paint... some formulas require a minimum weight for the formula to be effective depending on the mixing ratio... most paints are mixed within 2 decimal points in terms of weight (up to 100 of a gram for small touch up containers)...

dino

Hi Dino,

Well, it goes to show my complete ignorance here... Learned something again!

Cheers,

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofaus View Post
    What a website !!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

DS

For wheels I really wouldn't bother going to so much effort. There are lots of DS in Sydney with fresh painted wheels in nothing more than "light grey" and I've not seen anyone think it looks wrong. Its so close its seems silly to be so true to original. My ID19 wheels were powder coated many years ago and still look great.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Default Not for wheels!

Gris Sable is not for the wheels, it's for the panels.

That glasurit website gives me no information about the content of AC104, or am I missing something??

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    For wheels I really wouldn't bother going to so much effort. There are lots of DS in Sydney with fresh painted wheels in nothing more than "light grey" and I've not seen anyone think it looks wrong. Its so close its seems silly to be so true to original. My ID19 wheels were powder coated many years ago and still look great.

I think I like that colour

http://www.nuancierds.fr/AC%20104%20Gris%20Sable.htm

I found a good way to find an exact colour to match, is to remove a door trim, behind these is several vinyl patches glued to the door. Peal these off and have a look at the paint beneath. This would be an ideal place to do some colour matching.

My kids saw me looking through all the colours and want me to paint the car here this colour:

"but it must sparkle like the car in the picture does ... " They must know what a half @rsed job I do of everything

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

that blue would have to be my favourite colour outside of Gris tholonet. noyce!

Quote Originally Posted by bgbiteme View Post
    That glasurit website gives me no information about the content of AC104, or am I missing something??
    Nope - for some reason the Gris Sable doesn't appear to have a recipe - sorry - didn't check before I posted.

JBN

When I wanted Jaune Mimosa paint for Daffy Duck, they got the formula from some mob in Adelaide, but it was only as a 2 pac formula.

I wanted it as acrylic as it was for a bush car and I anticipated some touch up work. They then had to fudge the 2 pac formula to arrive at an acrylic formula. Not bad for a colour that was never originally in 2 pac. I think 2CVs were painted originally in acrylic (or more likely water colour).

Unfortunately the magic formula has been lost, but I guess the process can be repeated if I need more.

John

Thread Information