2CV/ Meharis
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 2CV/ Meharis

mnm

Default 2CV/ Meharis

Hi all

Advertisement

my borther is Gandia, Spain took these pics for me down in the village.. there 2CV Grand National is coming up this April. We've bought tickets in the first prize... a gorgeous Black and White 2CV.. hee hee!

Matthew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV/ Meharis-2cv.jpg   2CV/ Meharis-mehari-2.jpg   2CV/ Meharis-mehari.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi all

my borther is Gandia, Spain took these pics for me down in the village.. there 2CV Grand National is coming up this April. We've bought tickets in the first prize... a gorgeous Black and White 2CV.. hee hee!

Matthew
    Great van!

Trust me.
    You really want a Mehari.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default I'm going to be mean here...

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Trust me.
    I've looked at Meharis, and 2CV and ridden in a 2CV and I'd sum the cars up like this;

The 2CV is what happens when one leaves a ride -on mower and a magic carpet in a garden shed for long enough for mischief to happen...

The Mehari is what happens when said magic carpet and ride-on mower are left in the pergola instead...

What makes the 2CV special in my mind is the contrast, how can something so crude ride so well? I know the technical answer, it is the aesthetic one that eludes me.

What puts me off the Mehari is that it looks too like a mini Moke.

I'll stick with real hydralic cars and leave to others these artifacts of French industrial parsimony.

Bruce.

JBN

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you are not into Piccaso, you won't like the look of a 2CV. The 2CV isn't called the ugly duck for nothing.

But the 2CV is fun. Helter skelter is the way to drive them. Right foot flat to the floor and use the steering wheel to dodge the accidents. DON'T TOUCH THE BRAKES. Your gap recognition skills will reach a new level. In traffic you do more weaving than they did to produce the Bayeaux Tapestry.

All the time you are comforted by the knowledge that the 602cc of unleashed fury driving the front wheels, ensconsed in a 570kg "safety cage" made out of 0.5mm tin plate, is capable of propelling you to the heights of driving pleasure, certain that when the end comes, death will be quick and clean.

It is the manic grin on the death mask that sets a 2CV driver apart.

John
    Last edited by JBN; 16th March 2012 at 10:31 AM.

Trust me.
    No, I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    I've looked at Meharis, and 2CV and ridden in a 2CV and I'd sum the cars up like this;

The 2CV is what happens when one leaves a ride -on mower and a magic carpet in a garden shed for long enough for mischief to happen...

The Mehari is what happens when said magic carpet and ride-on mower are left in the pergola instead...

What makes the 2CV special in my mind is the contrast, how can something so crude ride so well? I know the technical answer, it is the aesthetic one that eludes me.

What puts me off the Mehari is that it looks too like a mini Moke.

I'll stick with real hydralic cars and leave to others these artifacts of French industrial parsimony.

Bruce.
    I would never call the 2CV crude. A well preserved 2CV is a joy to drive and to look at. If you want to see a real crude car, have a look at the Australian build Zeta Lightburn.

Bruce.
    That is your choice of course, but the 2CV possesses one quality that the hydraulically suspended cars can never claim,--------------- brilliance of engineering simplicity-----------the ultimate automotive expression of the KISS principle.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    No, I do not.
    Are you sure about that?

I hope you didn't have a bad experience that makes you say that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2CV/ Meharis-aaaaaaaa.jpg  

JBN

Gee Daffyduck, I am amazed that with the superb all round visibility from the Mehari, you failed to see the bend in the road and you ended up in the boonies.

John

[QUOTE=The 2CV is what happens when one leaves a ride -on mower and a magic carpet in a garden shed for long enough for mischief to happen...

Bruce.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant. Love your work, Bruce.
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

Are you sure about that?

I hope you didn't have a bad experience that makes you say that.
    Nice colour. Did it crawl up there all by its self?

Sorry i didnt mean to hurt your feelings and it is really a cute vehicle, I did had a drive in one once years ago and to me it felt so low to the ground like if in a canoe with wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    That is your choice of course, but the 2CV possesses one quality that the hydraulically suspended cars can never claim,--------------- brilliance of engineering simplicity-----------the ultimate automotive expression of the KISS principle.
    Cheers Gerry
    I could not have said it better my self, thank you.

Sorry i didnt mean to hurt your feelings and it is really a cute vehicle, I did had a drive in one once years ago and to me it felt so low to the ground like if in a canoe with wheels!
    Actually I would love to have one of these. Back in 1972 My Light 15 was displayed at the Royal Melbourne Motor Show on the CCCV Club Stand alongside a new Mehari. It really caught my eye!
    Cheers Gerry

It did. Probably 1000 times. It also goes up and down stairs without complaint.
    Somebody painted it that color, and I happen to like it.
    For such a rare year and model, there is another one about 300 miles away, painted the same color. Can't hardly tell the two cars apart when they are side by side.

That's why you turn the front suspension rods all the way in to stretch the springs!
    One of my wagon friends calls the Mehari a rolling garbage can. She is right. It is every bit of that.

I call it a little boat that runs on land. No water necessary. And way more fun than a real boat when you live in a desert.

Fellow Frogger!

That's why you turn the front suspension rods all the way in to stretch the springs!
    One of my wagon friends calls the Mehari a rolling garbage can. She is right. It is every bit of that.

I call it a little boat that runs on land. No water necessary. And way more fun than a real boat when you live in a desert.

At our West Coast Rendezvous (Ventura, CA) 2 years ago we had an impromptu vote on which Citroen was the ultimate beer hauler. The Mehari came in first - due to its ability to take a sufficient quantity of a beer (for at least 10 dedicated Cit owners) from a beer run to a second story motel room, so long as it had a straight shot at the stairs - no bend in the middle - or anywhere on the motel grounds that were accessible by walking. Really a great feature at 2am........

Steve

JBN

Well. since Mehari is Bedouin for camel and a camel is referred to as the "ship of the desert", you have a valid point here.

Although they look more like a desert vehicle than the 2CV, they let in a hell of a lot more dust, particularly when you are passing a road train in Western Australia. But they are in a class of their own when it comes to a mobile platform for rabbit shooting.

John

say what you like about the Méhari, the market is voting with its cheque book. There very common around here, a beach resort. Since we have been living here the price has gone up from around 3000 euros to now 15,000 for a reasonable example and still rising. The parts industry for them is thriving and even the ABS panelling is available.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 18th March 2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: and another typo
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Well. since Mehari is Bedouin for camel and a camel is referred to as the "ship of the desert", you have a valid point here.

Although they look more like a desert vehicle than the 2CV, they let in a hell of a lot more dust, particularly when you are passing a road train in Western Australia. But they are in a class of their own when it comes to a mobile platform for rabbit shooting.

John
    A Mehari can carry 4 guys, a cooler, and a whole bunch of plinking devices. The rabbits hate us out in the forbidden zone.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    say what you like about the Méhari, the marking is voting with its cheque book. There very common around here, a beach resort. Since we have been living here the price has gone up from around 3000 euros to now 15,000 for a reasonable example and still rising. The parts industry for them is thriving and even the ABS panelling is available.
    The same qualities that make the Mehari a terrific mobile rabbit shooting platform (unobstructed all round visibilty) also makes them a superb perving platform for beach bunnies.

It seems that the going price for the Mehari has shot up like an erection.

John

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Yer wrong mate, sorry...

I would never call the 2CV crude. A well preserved 2CV is a joy to drive and to look at. If you want to see a real crude car, have a look at the Australian build Zeta Lightburn.
    The lightburn Zeta was only a car by reference to the definition in the traffic act- Like everything else built by lightburns it was the actually a cement mixer with delusions of grandeur. I met one of the engineers who worked on it, who was less than complimentary about the compromises he had to make at managements' insistance.

The lightburn Zeta was only a car by reference to the definition in the traffic act- Like everything else built by lightburns it was the actually a cement mixer with delusions of grandeur. I met one of the engineers who worked on it, who was less than complimentary about the compromises he had to make at managements' insistance.
    Ok, so it is an crude concrete mixer!

passing road trains with enough je ne sequois to note the ingress of dust?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information