Using a Lexia - how long?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Using a Lexia - how long?

Default Using a Lexia - how long?

Suspect I've been taken for a ride again...

Is 1.5 hours labour an appropriate charge to connect a lexia, confirm the software version and pull some transmission fault codes?

Advertisement

I took it in there with the instruction to clear the software and reload a fresh install (to eliminate a glitch in the software). Got it back with nothing done but a fault code extraction.

They tell me now (after they took my money for not undertaking this request...) that its impossible to wipe and reload a current software install on engine and transmission ECUs - anyone got a comment on that...?

Welcome to Hobart! Self reliance is the best approach in this part of the world...

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

I've been warned about Motors before, but they're the only dealer and downloads is a dealer only task...

Am very miffed. Took it in there saying "wipe and reload a fresh install", got charged $190 and told it was all up to date.

Now I go back and say I really do need it wiped and reloaded as per initial request and they say its impossible. Might have been nice if they said that before taking my money for that same request.

Hmmm,

Well, it depends what they have done. Even though it is a 'high speed' connection, it doesn't work that fast.

First you have to log in the type of car, its VIN and/or RPO number and then it gives you a menu asking what you want to do. If you went straight to the Auto Transmission to download codes, it would not take too long but the more usual way it likes to work is to interrogate all the ECUs and see if there are any fault codes sitting there. This can take quite a bit of thumb twiddling while it sequentially steps through the multitude of ECU in the newer cars. I have found it a bit mistake to look at the BSI fault log as this has a record of each fault code logged since the car was made until the internal memory is full and can take 15 minutes or so with no method of interruption.

The software is not that great ( about Beta test quality) and you can end up in places you don't want to be with no way of going back. So you then have to pull the plug and start the application again.

The software upgrade capability looks for any ECU that it has a software upgrade for, and then gives you instructions to follow when doing it if you want to go ahead. If all the software version are up to date, it won't let you do anything else. I have heard that doing software upgrades can be a pretty dicy exercise and that you should have a good quality charger on the battery to make sure the ECU concerned has lots of volts to work with.

So I guess the time taken would depend a bit on the experience of the user and how much overhead and admin time they are also booking to the job and also what the labour rate is.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I've been warned about Motors before, but they're the only dealer and downloads is a dealer only task...

Am very miffed. Took it in there saying "wipe and reload a fresh install", got charged $190 and told it was all up to date.

Now I go back and say I really do need it wiped and reloaded as per initial request and they say its impossible. Might have been nice if they said that before taking my money for that same request.
    Try asking them for a copy of the "log file" . Most diagnostics systems do a dump of all events to a text file for later examination.

The log file should also list operator actions and connection time.

Did you put the request in writing?

Best of luck- trained mechanics are not always computer literate and nor are car dealers/repiarers always honest.

My son recently had the come-back from a Honda tech "the computer tells me to change the ABS pump"
    We fixed the problem by cleaning the wheel sensors. Most of these so called "technicians" are parts jockeys with no fault finding desire or experience.

Thanks Ken.

My biggest gripe is I now accept that it wont let you re install a current version, but that's what I asked for and paid to have done.

Had they explained this is not possible, I clearly would not have paid $190 to have nothing done.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    My son recently had the come-back from a Honda tech "the computer tells me to change the ABS pump"
    We fixed the problem by cleaning the wheel sensors.
    Our reliance on computer generated fault analysis reached new heights for me today. Yesterday morning I got a call from a lady that lives in our complex to take her to hospital as she has been suffering from arterial fibrillation (AF) of the heart.

After picking up her daughters from school today, I took them to visit her in hospital. She said that there was a discussion between cardiologists as to whether her condition actually was AF. One had listened to her heart using a stethoscope and heard something that made them think that it wasn't AF, probably explaining why the stronger dosage of medicine she had been taking had done nothing. The other said, "No, it is AF, see the computer has diagnosed it as AF", pointing at the screen.

Scary. Plenty of room for healthy scepticism to query whether the computer is telling the truth.

John

Just imagine what the diagnostic's are doing to a complex aircraft like a B777 or an Airbus 380 --- all fly by wire with computer controlled engines and flight controls !!!!!!
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

1000+ Posts

The cardiac diagnosis is from the wave forms of the ECG. The computer is only providing a monitor. They are programmed to recognise a range of malformed waves and provide an alert, but cardiologists can see the problem at sight.

Back to cars, I have had the software in my C5 completely replaced (not merely updated). It took about 40 minutes online. Unfortunately the server only talks to dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Our reliance on computer generated fault analysis reached new heights for me today. Yesterday morning I got a call from a lady that lives in our complex to take her to hospital as she has been suffering from arterial fibrillation (AF) of the heart.

After picking up her daughters from school today, I took them to visit her in hospital. She said that there was a discussion between cardiologists as to whether her condition actually was AF. One had listened to her heart using a stethoscope and heard something that made them think that it wasn't AF, probably explaining why the stronger dosage of medicine she had been taking had done nothing. The other said, "No, it is AF, see the computer has diagnosed it as AF", pointing at the screen.

Scary. Plenty of room for healthy scepticism to query whether the computer is telling the truth.

John

Did they use a Lexia and if so where's the diagnostic plug located?

The firmware cannot be erased, so far as I understand from some of the UK contacts I've discussed this with.

It can only be overwritten with what is tagged as a superseding version; I suppose if you cracked an earlier one you could give it a later version number than the resident file.

What do plumbers charge to turn up, put an electric eel down the pipe, declare it OK, then pack up and leave? I'd wager damn near the same, or more.

Fellow Frogger!

Bill McNamee pulled the fault codes off my Coupe in maybe 15 mins - by the time we were done shooting the breeze and talking about a few other issues I wouldn't have taken up more than about 40 minutes of his time.
    '92 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '93 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '01 406 Coupe 3.0L V6 Manual

Blue collar workers need to accept they are obligated to provide charitable rates for their skills and equipment.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Thanks Ken.

My biggest gripe is I now accept that it wont let you re install a current version, but that's what I asked for and paid to have done.

Had they explained this is not possible, I clearly would not have paid $190 to have nothing done.
    According to Brisbane prices I'd say you got out of it cheap. Dealers here are famous for doing nothing and charging you for the privilege. Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    The firmware cannot be erased, so far as I understand from some of the UK contacts I've discussed this with.

It can only be overwritten with what is tagged as a superseding version; I suppose if you cracked an earlier one you could give it a later version number than the resident file.

What do plumbers charge to turn up, put an electric eel down the pipe, declare it OK, then pack up and leave? I'd wager damn near the same, or more.
    But plumbers usually fix the problem and don't charge if they have to come back and have another go. Usually.

Thread Information