DSpecial Driveshaft dilemma
  • Help

Default DSpecial Driveshaft dilemma

Awhile back I had the D up on the hoist and ran it ( in neutral) for some reason and discovered the left front wheel rotating. Not good was my immediate reaction, I previously bought a driveshaft off Ian Steele as I had come to the conclusion the outside joints were worn, clacking in lock signifcantly on left side, I haven't got around to putting it in yet as I haven't been compelled to use the car, the little list of must do's is growing ( after three I reckon you're in trouble!) but what would be causing the drive to engage on that side in neutral as such?

Advertisement

I am stuffing around with an R4 but the D is going to get my attention shortly, like in about 3 months!

probably. Well it might happen

All gurus focus!

Cheers

Steven
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 9th March 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: not making enough sense.

In my experience all cars do that... just the drag in the gear box even though it is in neutral. It is not just the left being driven of course... if you held the left wheel you would find the differential would transfer the rotation to the right hand side.

Nothing to worry about.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Outer joint unlikely to be worn, more like dry through neglect over time. If worn out, consider yourelf unlucky or slack on maintenance.

They (both inner and outer joints) require grease. Often, that dreaded clack will miraculously disappear with the application of grease. Try it, before you replace the shaft, you might be surprised at the result.

The double Hooke joint is a very strong thing. So too is the inner triaxe.

What is it they say, the squeaky wheel scores the most grease, I guess this is the practical application!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Awhile back I had the D up on the hoist and ran it ( in neutral) for some reason and discovered the left front wheel rotating. Not good was my immediate reaction, I previously bought a driveshaft off Ian Steele as I had come to the conclusion the outside joints were worn, clacking in lock signifcantly on left side, I haven't got around to putting it in yet as I haven't been compelled to use the car, the little list of must do's is growing ( after three I reckon you're in trouble!) but what would be causing the drive to engage on that side in neutral as such?

I am stuffing around with an R4 but the D is going to get my attention shortly, like in about 3 months!

probably. Well it might happen

All gurus focus!

Cheers

Steven
    If you run a car on the hoist in neutral the diff will often still turn due to the drag in the transmission. This is nothing to worry about. Often one wheel will rotate and the other remains stationary. This is just the differential action.
    It does not mean that your drive shafts are faulty.
    Other symptoms like clicking on lock while under driving load and excessive play in the joints are more accurate indicators of wear.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

Agree with previous comments. Different issues. The turning wheel in neutral is not restricted to a DS and you'll see it on most cars. Those double Hooke joints used for the outer joints on a D can be fairly sloppy and still work well.

You might also check that your tyres are not rubbing on full lock. The limit is controlled by the caps on the end of the rack.

UFO

Mine does the wheel rotate in neutral too. A novelty act.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Not so novel Craig ----most cars will do it. Possibly not cars with limited slip diffs?????
    Cheers Gerry

Grease hmm haven't seen that stuff before I'll give it a go!

Thanks gents for enlightening me

Cheers
    Steven

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Not so novel Craig ----most cars will do it. Possibly not cars with limited slip diffs?????
    Cheers Gerry
    It's a novelty to others who have not seen it. IIRC even our XM used to do it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information