DS Sydney rain
  • Help

Thread: DS Sydney rain

mnm

Default DS Sydney rain

Hi everyone

was anyone unfortunate enough to be driving in the rain in Sydney yesterday morning?? I was woken at 0630 to be called off stand by for a flight so I didn't have a choice. A trip to the jet base normally takes about 20 minutes.. but yesterday the DecidedlySpecial and I successfully navigated through three flooded streets and two road accidents to arrive at the base two hours later!! The flight had been delayed thank goodness but was waiting for my arrival before it could depart.. and we still left with a minimum of 12 crew.. that's one per door on a jumbo!

Advertisement

Anyway the most thrilling part of the whole day was jacking up the car to traverse the flooded roads.. and they were seriously deep.. it was tooorrrrential!

The most boring part of the day was my cabin fan spluttering its last breath... I had to resort to the good ol' tissue windscreen demister... ugh!! Happily a replacement motor is already on its way.

Of course today is gorgeous sunny blue sky weather that Australia does best.

Cheers

Matthew

Had a rather SPECIAL day in the CX yesterday, demister worked, carby was another story
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post

The most boring part of the day was my cabin fan spluttering its last breath... I had to resort to the good ol' tissue windscreen demister... ugh!! Happily a replacement motor is already on its way.

Matthew

They just dont make those jumbos the way they used to... be glad you had a tissue demister on hand...

dino

UFO

There is that special feeling we all get when we approach water, raise the car and tip toe through - to the disgust of others!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Of course the air intake on a DS23 Efi auto is very low below the spare tyre resting bar (and headlights link bar) across the engine bay. I did hear that at least one DS23 has sucked in water and killed the engine regardless of raised suspension. As they say don't enter flood water..... or in a Cit proceed with caution?

JBN

During in flood times, when normally suspended cars are floating all over the place, my advice to hydraulically suspended Citroens is to find a high bit of ground to park on and then watch in fascination the antics of others as they come to grips with fluid suspension.

John

Hmm so we should expect sales of citroens to go up! Especially diesel powered ones, as long as we waterproof the electrics.

Fellow Frogger

Don't drive a diesel car into a puddle unless you are planning on a new engine. A gulp of water can easily hydraulically lock the engine and bend the rods.

Yes, I found myself in the rain yesterday morning and it was an absolute deluge for a several km stretch south of Top Ryde. I've been in downpours before, but the size and intensity of this one was quite unusual. Anyway, it fined up in the afternoon and today was a lovely sunny day!

Icon6

G'day,
    woke to the sound of falling rain. Rode to the work house on the works Honda, 4Ĺ mins, at 0530 there are ****heads driving their cars without lights. That is, in the rain, before sunrise, in the dark, without ****ing lights.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Icon6

G'day,
    I will work around the text censor ...
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Don't drive a diesel car into a puddle unless you are planning on a new engine. A gulp of water can easily hydraulically lock the engine and bend the rods.
    Some years ago I fought a battle to get the TAFE campus I was at a 19 seat bus. We eventually got it. A Mazda diesel. A few months later a teacher managed to drive it through a small stream on a farm and the airfilter was low under the front bumper. It sucked up a gutful of water and stuffed the engine. The repairs to the engine were expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    woke to the sound of falling rain. Rode to the work house on the works Honda, 4Ĺ mins, at 0530 there are ****heads driving their cars without lights. That is, in the rain, before sunrise, in the dark, without ****ing lights.
    These are likely to be the same nobs that then later drive with their fog lights on - when it isn't!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    I also woke up to the sound of falling rain, heavy falling rain. So I rolled over, pulled up the bed clothes and went back to sleep.

One of the few, inexpensive joys of being retired (and lazy to boot).

John

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post

Yes, I found myself in the rain yesterday morning and it was an absolute deluge for a several km stretch south of Top Ryde. I've been in downpours before, but the size and intensity of this one was quite unusual. Anyway, it fined up in the afternoon and today was a lovely sunny day!
    As a boy we had a diesel golf and jetta and we used to laugh at all the people stuck in their petrol powered cars in knee deep water around athens. Guess the air intake was up high on these.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Some years ago I fought a battle to get the TAFE campus I was at a 19 seat bus. We eventually got it. A Mazda diesel. A few months later a teacher managed to drive it through a small stream on a farm and the airfilter was low under the front bumper. It sucked up a gutful of water and stuffed the engine. The repairs to the engine were expensive.

These are likely to be the same nobs that then later drive with their fog lights on - when it isn't!
    Ah memories?
    years ago the driver of a light tuck [which would be about 4 tonne now a days] drove through a flooded road and stuffed the engine. The air cleaner was mounted low on the chassis behind the cab. He came back and tried to claim warranty. No way buddy.
    He took the manufacturer to court claiming the air cleaner was too low preventing the vehicle going through what would be a normal occurrence on most roads here in Au after a stormy downpour.
    I kid you not, he won. Judge ruling design fault. We supplied a new engine. Wonder if that could work for C5 drivers.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

Ah memories?
    years ago the driver of a light tuck [which would be about 4 tonne now a days] drove through a flooded road and stuffed the engine. The air cleaner was mounted low on the chassis behind the cab. He came back and tried to claim warranty. No way buddy.
    He took the manufacturer to court claiming the air cleaner was too low preventing the vehicle going through what would be a normal occurrence on most roads here in Au after a stormy downpour.
    I kid you not, he won. Judge ruling design fault. We supplied a new engine. Wonder if that could work for C5 drivers.
    Re light trucks:
    For those who didn't catch it on the news (recent Melbourne floods) this one minute youtube is well worth the download.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCm66l0FSNQ

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Slush depth

From memory the maximum standing water depth (or snow depth as an equivalent in melt water) for a jumbo is 15mm, or the #$@@! thing won't accellerate fast enough.

Just goes to show that the michelins on the D are better than the goodyears on the jumbo?

Thread Information