CX Turbo fuel economy
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default CX Turbo fuel economy

Hi all
    I was wondering if anone could help me on this isue.My car gets about 150 miles to a tank of fuel, can i set the fuel - air mix for low and high speed driving and can i set the idle mix without any special equipment for theres no spesialists in the area.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It must be blowing huge clouds of black smoke out the back to use that much fuel Your not towing road trains with the poor car are you I did once have that problem, the fuel regulator had died and it was running immense fuel pressure (obviously the running was very poor).

Mine gets about 8.3L/100km with gentle highway driving ..... down to 18+L/100kms towing a caravan/car trailer. heavy urban usage should return around around 12.8L/100 (or a lot more if your in a hurry ).

I found they get much better fuel economy than all the non turbo petrol CX's. The worst of the lot is obviously the CX slugomatic.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: 150miles to a tank of fuel in about 11MPG .... 25.7L/100kms. I would have thought that sort of fuel usage would almost be impossible!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by HarmSouthAfrica View Post
    Hi all
    I was wondering if anone could help me on this isue.My car gets about 150 miles to a tank of fuel, can i set the fuel - air mix for low and high speed driving and can i set the idle mix without any special equipment for theres no spesialists in the area.
    What do you mean "a tank of fuel" ? Do you run it until completely empty or refill when the fuel guage gets low? I believe your car has a capacity of 68lts (approx 15gals). As a starting point record the mileage between fills and record the fuel needed to re-fill. You can then calculate the actual fuel consumption.

In any case, the first thing to do is replace the air filter and check the ignition system. New plugs and a filter can have a major effect.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    heavy urban usage should return around around 12.8L/100 (or a lot more if your in a hurry ).
    I've been getting that consistently with the 2400 carby 5 speed with mixed urban/highway driving and I feel quite proud of myself.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Hi Harm

Is the mileometer not maby dodgy? (that is if you didn't use the GPS?) You replaced the fuel pressure regulator with the new one?

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Tadpole

Hi
    I have replaced the fuel presure regulator.No not a mistake, about 20L / 100Km in town and about 15l /100Km on the open raod. I would like to know if there are any baseline setting that i can work from.Settings of the unit on top of the throttle body, air screw in throttle body and large screw near inlet manifold.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Have you checked the temperature sensors and the wiring to them Check there measurements *at the computer* so as to take into account the wiring to them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Thanx Shane
    Will check when i have time again.

When I was running my turbo as an everyday car, I was getting an average of about 200 miles to a tank full. This was a mixture of urban, and high speed driving.

To be honest, I couldn't afford to run a car that thirsty anymore, because that was back in 2006, and petrol prices have gone crazy since then!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Strange that the do not have any Air//fuel mixture setting screw I know the later DS efi had a potentiometer on the ECU where you possibly could have altered the Air fuel mixture setting.

Shane don't they have any Air fuel setting screw or potentiometer on the airflow meter box? Surely they do have? Or are they a fixed system where you can't alter the settings and just check the input sensors like the water sensors for any faulty readings?

70 - 75 MPH cruising speed on the highway you surely can be able to get at least 12l/100km? 15l/100 on the highway you must be doing 100+MPH constantly??? or you are towing a trailer all of the time,

Do the CX airflow meters use a hotwire system or what, if they used a hotwire sensor I would have suggested to clean the sensor itself (Audi uses a hotwire sensor on certain models) the dust particles through years of usage acummilates onto the hotwire giving a faulty reading telling the computer to give more gas.

Cheers
    Corne

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Crickey,

I hope that the turbo will get better fuel economy than that when I get it back together. I bought it as my daily driver?

Laurie

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wyjasn

Thread Information