Separating DS motor from auto gearbox
  • Help

Default Separating DS motor from auto gearbox

Am trying to separate a '73 DS engine block from a BW auto gearbox from a scrapped car.
    Have removed the plugs and starter motor and tried to turn the fly wheel (the engine has not turned over for a year though kept under wraps) but it won't budge.
    Any ideas, gentlemen?
    regards
    Lou

NOUKPUT SYDHCQF

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Assuming there is nothing mechanical stopping it moving ... Pour some lubricant down the bores, let it soak a while, refit the starter and try getting that to free it. Look for the little strap from the starter terminal to the solenoid terminal to see if it was designed for use with a remote solenoid or not.

What are you trying to save here? The engine or the gearbox? The crank on the auto apparently differs from the one used on manual versions, so don't assume it will bolt up to a flywheel/manual gearbox, should that be your plan.

Transmission in Park position?
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Transmission in Park position?
    That shouldn't stop the converter turning to get at the drive plate bolts, which would presumably be his problem.

Thanks gentlemen for your replies. The motor/gearbox is out of the car on a dolly. I want the motor to rebuild for a manual car and I am aware that the cranshaft is different ( I have a manual c/s but no engine block). The gearbox is destined to an acqquaintance.
    Will pour some lube in and wait a while. The gearbox outputs on l and r sides turn freely.
    I'm in no hurry.
    Regards
    Lou

NOUKPUT SYDHCQF

Quote Originally Posted by Loudel View Post
    ..............."I'm in no hurry." Regards Lou NOUKPUT SYDHCQF
    Sounds like the best approach if something is stuck! Good luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Still in no hurry though yesterday being sunny (for once) I located the starter motor with remote button and re-attached it. Connected the jump starter, pushed the button - just clicked away. The starter motor worked on the bench without load. So feel that something is seized inside. The head has to come off anyway and eventually the sump and crankshaft. I'll bide my time letting oil in the cylinders work its way around.
    Ta all

Lou

NOUKPUT SYDHCQF

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Separation degrees of...

The torque convertor should pull out of the front of the gearbox without damage if the bell housing bolts are removed. This usually isn't done, as the TC then glurps a couple of litres of ATF on the floor and the seal would need replacing before it goes back in. The TC can be a problem to put back in, but this may not be your problem.

Block the motor and gearbox so they can be slid apart without angle or side load on the TC shaft. Once apart the drive plate to TC bolts may be accessible. If not, pull the crank out complete with TC fitted.

What are you planning to do with the auto? I know someone who might be able to make use of it.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudel View Post
    Still in no hurry though yesterday being sunny (for once) I located the starter motor with remote button and re-attached it. Connected the jump starter, pushed the button - just clicked away. The starter motor worked on the bench without load. So feel that something is seized inside. The head has to come off anyway and eventually the sump and crankshaft. I'll bide my time letting oil in the cylinders work its way around.
    Ta all

Lou

NOUKPUT SYDHCQF

Separated! As today was beaut, Michaelr popped around and with his guidance and muscles we managed to successfully separate them. No fluid spilt. Just needed muscle and a sprinkling of colourful words. Thanks to all who contributed. what a wonderful forum we have. Now to plan restoring my '72 DS21....
    Lou

NOUKPUT SYDHCQF

Thread Information