AX gear linkage
  • Help

Thread: AX gear linkage

Default AX gear linkage

Hello All,
    I wonder if any Cit/Pug cross dressers out there could advise me if there is any similarity to the gear linkages on an AX to, say a Peugeot 205.

The gearbox end of the lower link ends in a large ring which is filled with some mastic to hold the socket in place. This socket engages with the ball on the gearbox operating arm. Some 18 months ago the mastic compound was worn out on mine and I rebuilt it using some Sikaflex. On Friday, that linkage failed again in the underground carpark in Tuggeranong, resulting in a call to NRMA, then getting towed out of the carpark onto the street to await a towtruck.

I can rebuild the socket again, but would prefer a factory product, unable to locate a listing for the linkage on any of the usual OS sites.

So my question is, do Peugeot use a similar arrangement, and if so, are replacements available, will be knocking on Louis' door at Alpine motors if they are.

Off to the coast on Tuesday to mess about in boats, actually antifouling, so not all fun. Will tackle the AX as soon as I get back.

Cheers
    Richard

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by R Procter View Post
    Hello All,
    I wonder if any Cit/Pug cross dressers out there could advise me if there is any similarity to the gear linkages on an AX to, say a Peugeot 205.
    Cheers
    Richard
    I honestly don't know but wasn't the AX the same as the Peugeot 106?

I'd head for the internet and the OS parts people myself, but with luck someone may know better. Why not phone David Cavanagh, who might have seen both an AX and a 205?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Off the top of my head the 205 xs is the same but not the gti models.

Fellow Frogger!

Default ax

Richard,
    the Berlingo has the same block and MA box so i would begin there

there is a bloke who advertises s/h Berlingo stuff in this forum (Melb)

cheers
    Colin

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Commonality of bitz mate...

Quote Originally Posted by R Procter View Post
    Hello All,

The gearbox end of the lower link ends in a large ring which is filled with some mastic to hold the socket in place. This socket engages with the ball on the gearbox operating arm. Some 18 months ago the mastic compound was worn out on mine and I rebuilt it using some Sikaflex. On Friday, that linkage failed again in the underground carpark in Tuggeranong, resulting in a call to NRMA, then getting towed out of the carpark onto the street to await a towtruck.

I can rebuild the socket again, but would prefer a factory product, unable to locate a listing for the linkage on any of the usual OS sites.

So my question is, do Peugeot use a similar arrangement, and if so, are replacements available, will be knocking on Louis' door at Alpine motors if they are.

Off to the coast on Tuesday to mess about in boats, actually antifouling, so not all fun. Will tackle the AX as soon as I get back.

Cheers
    Richard
    This sounds a bit like the system in Pug 405s too. The rubber falls out making the gears very sloppy, but the car can still be driven. worth a look?

Forgot to add if you speak to miles off psooc and 205 gti drivers, I am sure he will be able to hook you up with new linkage rose jointed jobbies..

Default Martin Bray is your friend

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Thought that I should reply to all the helpful suggestions.

What I did initially was to rebuild the joint using high strength Sikaflex (277 I think) and installed the linkage. Worked fine, but was still uncomfortable about the possibility of another failure. Eventually contacted Martin Bray who had previously supplied some AX components. Turns out that he had a box of various second hand linkages, including some of the 'rose jointed' type. He posted me a good one, so now have confidence in the longevity of the system.

Cheers
    Richard

Excellent

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Richard

this link might be worth a look

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...60#post1049760

Tadpole

the ax linkages are the same as

citroen saxo

someone put a link up to the constella linkages. They are quite good and if you set them right they tighten the gearchange up lovely.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Richard,
    the Berlingo has the same block and MA box so i would begin there

there is a bloke who advertises s/h Berlingo stuff in this forum (Melb)

cheers
    Colin
    is the berlingo box like the c2 boxes and hydaulic clutch and cable change rather than rod change???

Thread Information