DS Wheel bearing :(
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default DS Wheel bearing :(

At an educated guess I would say my RH rear wheel bearing is kaput...

It makes a grinding, scraping type sound that is disassociated with applying the brakes...

I raised the wheels and there is no excess play.
    I adjusted the drum brakes.
    I noticed the RH drum was easier to spin CCW.
    I removed the drum, the brakes are in serviceable condition, but the hub is awkward to rotate CW.
    I can't see any grease nipples...

I had better consult my manual and give Gricey a call in the morning...

Am I on the money?

Cheers,

Harley

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

It looks like a closer inspection is warranted,WARNING be very careful when removeing the dust cover as it can easily be damaged!
    Woody

The ball cage on one of the bearings is probably starting to come apart, and catching.

When I replaced a pair of rear wheel bearings on a DS a few years ago I tried to obtain new bearings and could not. In the end I used good second hand ones. I have heard rumours of new ones being available now but have not confirmed it for myself.

DS rear wheel bearing assemblies are designed the opposite way from normal cars. The housing is attached to the car and the spindle is attached to the wheel. Pull the cap off the inside, carefully. The nut is 35mm and you need a socket to undo it. The way some slack is achieved is different from everything else, too. The two bearings are held slightly apart by a conical spacer, and the nut is fully tightened. The book says you need to adjust the thickness of shims between the spacer and one of the bearings to set it, but in practice I have never heard of this being done, nor have I seen any shims. There only ever seems to be the spacer.

I found the hardest part of the whole job was pressing the old bearing off the spindle. In the end I used a gas axe.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    The ball cage on one of the bearings is probably starting to come apart, and catching.

When I replaced a pair of rear wheel bearings on a DS a few years ago I tried to obtain new bearings and could not. In the end I used good second hand ones. I have heard rumours of new ones being available now but have not confirmed it for myself.

DS rear wheel bearing assemblies are designed the opposite way from normal cars. The housing is attached to the car and the spindle is attached to the wheel. Pull the cap off the inside, carefully. The nut is 35mm and you need a socket to undo it. The way some slack is achieved is different from everything else, too. The two bearings are held slightly apart by a conical spacer, and the nut is fully tightened. The book says you need to adjust the thickness of shims between the spacer and one of the bearings to set it, but in practice I have never heard of this being done, nor have I seen any shims. There only ever seems to be the spacer.

I found the hardest part of the whole job was pressing the old bearing off the spindle. In the end I used a gas axe.

Roger
    Hi Roger,

Those bearings are standard metric bearings - we can get them here in the US.

The 25x62x17 is a 6305 bearing, the 40x80x18 is a 6208 bearing.

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Gricey saves the day!

The screaching became constant and loud today. I got in touch with Gricey, quick fix. Drilled a 4mm hole in the end cap and pumped it with oil. He said its good for a few more thousand k's until I have time to replace it.
    Win!

Harley

Thread Information