Under tray 2003 C5.
  • Help

Default Under tray 2003 C5.

My old C5, (Odebt) has lost her engine undertray. The front screws came loose and the tray dragged on the road, destroying the front of the tray. The cause, we assume is that the trays fixing screws failed.
    Has anyone experienced this? A new tray has been ordered + screws.
    The question is--Did the screws pull through whatever they fix the tray to or were they not secured properly after the last service? Should the new tray be fitted using the new 1/4 turn screws, or by some other means? Bearing in mind that the tray must be easily removed for servicing and their fixing points could be damaged.

Advertisement

Any advice is welcome before the new tray arrives ( next week).

Allan.

Fellow Frogger

There are three large white plastic clips that tie the bottom of the bumper on and these also act to locate the front of the undertray. They may be broken, so have a look as you may need them too.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    My old C5, (Odebt) has lost her engine undertray. The front screws came loose and the tray dragged on the road, destroying the front of the tray. The cause, we assume is that the trays fixing screws failed.
    Has anyone experienced this? A new tray has been ordered + screws.
    The question is--Did the screws pull through whatever they fix the tray to or were they not secured properly after the last service? Should the new tray be fitted using the new 1/4 turn screws, or by some other means? Bearing in mind that the tray must be easily removed for servicing and their fixing points could be damaged.

Any advice is welcome before the new tray arrives ( next week).

Allan.
    Forget those pathetic lock screws. Rubbish they are. Use self tapper screws and flat washers, they will screw into the original speed nuts mounted in those white plastic blocks and hold more securely. Pick the right size and diameter and they can be tightened to hold the tray more securely. Make sure they're not too long although there is a fair amount of leeway. I made a large flat washer from 3mm plastic sheet for the center screw. Works for me.

Thanks Shanadoo

Thread Information