Colour codes for Citroen ID21F 1971 model
  • Help

Default Colour codes for Citroen ID21F 1971 model

Just about to order paint for resto of my Safari, a 1971 model ID21F.

Can anyone confirm the correct colour codes for wheels/under bonnet and for the tailgate/roof/body?

Advertisement

I believe it's meant to be AC140 Gris for wheels and under bonnet and AC136 for roof, tailgate and body (excluding bolt-on panels obviously). Is this correct?

Also, any recommendations for where to order 2-pack paint from, on the north side of town? I'm not sure whether these colour codes will still be in most auto paint mixers' catalogues, so if anyone in Melbourne has had a paint shop mix up these colours recently, I'm probably safer going to them for my paint.

Oh and one other question re what are the correct hubcaps that would have been sold with this late 1971 model ID21F, can anyone upload a photo of exactly what they look like? (My car had GS hubcaps but I'm currently in the process of sourcing the correct ones, just need to know exactly what they look like)

Thanks

Default la belle colour

Indeed, your colour codings are correct: AC 136 Gris Rose (light grey with a hint of red) for all that bodywork, with the exception of wings, doors and bonnet. Wheels are a simple light grey - AC 140.

I took a small bit of panelling with the old gris rose on the reverse (for instance one of the small flaps in the luggage area or one of those sidepanels adjacent to the rear seat) and took it to a local paint factor. They did a good job in getting the right shade of grey. After a couple of coats of 2 pack primer, I used 2 coats of 2 pack gris rose all over (roof, twin rear tailgate, chassis and all those bits which make up the rear floor and the rear seat. As these parts are always in view, I had all the parts sandblasted to clean metal, filled in the small dents and primed. After 2 packing, I found the luggage area too glossy (personal taste...) and after a light sanding, I applied two coats of cellulose (another batch of gris rose made up by the same paint factor) and had them add little matting agent. The result is a neat satin look to the floor, back of rear seat, small side panels and the panelling underneath the side windows.

The wheels I had powdercoated and simply selected a light grey from a colour chart.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Bernard

Default AC140 for wheels and under bonnet?

Thanks Bernard.

Just to clarify, is AC140 the colour for the engine bay as well as the wheels, or is AC140 only for the wheels?? i.e. should engine bay be AC136?

Also still looking for a photo of what the hubcaps should look like, if anyone can help.

Same as what WERE fitted to my car when you saw it last. Any photos of my car show them.
    I've fitted the correct DS covers to mine now.

The engine bay should be Gris Rose.

Hope this helps

Morning,

AC 136 'gris rose' is also for the engine bay. In other words, the whole chassis is gris rose. Wheels were painted AC 140 (plain grey) between '68-'75.

The hubcaps for a '71 french market car would have been the small, half-size type. However, export models often have the full size DS caps, so I think you have a choice! I need to scan a sample pic and fwd you within the next day or two.

Cheers,

Bernard

Default And for good measure

a picture from the press release of 1971 models (I think)
    of the ID21F. From my collection.

Default These ones?

Thanks Richo and Bernard.

So I take it that these ones (on French ebay) the correct type? (they look a little different in the photo, but hard to tell)

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:X:RTQ:FR:1123

Quote Originally Posted by bernardrubingh View Post
    Morning,

AC 136 'gris rose' is also for the engine bay. In other words, the whole chassis is gris rose. Wheels were painted AC 140 (plain grey) between '68-'75.

The hubcaps for a '71 french market car would have been the small, half-size type. However, export models often have the full size DS caps, so I think you have a choice! I need to scan a sample pic and fwd you within the next day or two.

Cheers,

Bernard
    I am led to believe that late model D cars delivered in Oz had full wheel covers, not the domestic half covers.

Having said that I dont bother with the full wheel covers anymore (only on special occassions) - they fall off too often thanks to our bad road surfaces.

I prefer the little lip present on the GS style hub-caps and they are easier to replace when needed.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Default big or sdm

I agree with the previous comment. I have large caps and they've always looked a bit ott.

oops! premature release of the previous note!

Our Safari always had big caps, but in my opion, half size caps look better. At least it will show off more of those freshly painted wheels, which otherwise would have been 99% covered. I was sorry to read about your other thread re doorframes. I think you've made the right decision to order a new set. These folks from Staines are pretty good. I looked at the ebay link of the small caps advertised and I am sure with a bit of spit and polish (ref Shane's polishing), they'll shine like a mirror. Otherwise you may wish to enquire with the Staines folks, as they may be able to source small caps for your voiture. Once you get over the pain of all that frame fitting work, another suggestion is to put all your window/door frame rubbers/the long inside roof rubber in a pillow case (well, a couple of pillow cases), add a few scoops of washing powder and put the lot into the washing machine for a gentle wash. They'll come up like new!

Cheers,

Bernard

Thread Information