What's your daily?
  • Help
    mnm

Default What's your daily?

Hi all

My partner just asked me if many of you drove your DS daily. I'm guessing not but thought it might be an interesting topic. My DecidedlySpecial is my only car so takes me everywhere.. So cough up y'all. Pics would be good!

Matthew

PS This was my daily driver for 12 yrs before I bought the DSpecial.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your daily?-100_0117.jpg   What's your daily?-100_0124.jpg  
    Last edited by mnm; 24th February 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

"So cough up, y'all"

OK! Urrrrrkhackgaggagsnnnnnnnnnnnoooooorrrrrrrrrrrrkkk ....

Daily POS is a '99 Mercury Sable wagon. Think Ford Taurus with slightly more plastic wood and a nose vaguely like a '70 D from 1000 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your daily?-96-99_mercury_sable_wagon.jpg  
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Default Profilers look away now..............

Unfortunately I am still saddled with the need to participate in gainful employment so I drive a Falcon BF ute when I would so much rather be driving my old Floride.

Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

We denied ourselves hydropneumatic suspension as a daily comfort option 4 years ago when we sold my much loved Xantia and bought a new Holden Viva wagon. Automatic and white no less. Any wonder we called him 'Westinghouse'

Soon to be replaced by a new Skoda Superb TDi wagon in lava blue and to be called Laurin

BUT, I will get to drive D'Lovely June much of March and all of April.....

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Unfortunately I am still saddled with the need to participate in gainful employment so I drive a Falcon BF ute when I would so much rather be driving my old Floride.

First pic I've seen of the Floride outdoors, looking very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post

BUT, I will get to drive D'Lovely June much of March and all of April.....
    How is June, last pics had her getting some surgery, is she now back on the road?

This is my daily and has been for the last couple of years (the blue Xsara) the D had been for about five years prior to being taken off the road for some TLC.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

June is coming along nicely and is in the capable hands of Jason who's getting dirty with her....

I feel like such a pimp...

my daily - December 1974 DS 23 Pallas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your daily?-photo.jpg  

What's your daily?
    ...is this the car I drive every day?

dino

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    ...is this the car I drive every day?

dino
    A car?... oops....

I don't drive every day, try to avoid it.
    The Safari does service with a Honda CRV or whatever else comes along. The Safari is on full registration.
    The Safari has outlasted about 8 other secondary cars in 6 years.
    Last edited by richo; 25th February 2012 at 10:59 AM.

At the moment, my CX 2400 is my daily driver. [note the missing Delta wheel caps - if anyone has four, I'd love to hear from you!]

In the past I have driven D's as daily drivers - from a 1962 ID 19 to a 1974 DSpécial and various DS 21's in between.

I don't drive one of my GSs as I am about to sell it, and the other two - well, they're more weekend cars because where I work at the moment, there's no secure, garaged parking. And adding to that point, they're far too pretty for car parks and being kissed by shopping trolleys and the like.

I've always enjoyed CXs as daily drivers, especially when they're fitted with town and country horns because for some reason I'm always confronted by idiots who cut in front of me and make me slow down. I guess not everyone has a drummer's sense of timing.

I wouldn't hesitate in driving a DS as a daily driver again. I just have this thing about not leaving classics out in the weather. Which I'm sure is understandable to many.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Donat ... that's the only nice looking CX I have ever seen with a metalic paint. The paint on every other CX I've seen has been really shitty to say the least. I've never liked gold on a car, but that one looks fantastic!

My daily driver for the last decade has obviously been the mighty CX. These days I mostly work from home ... So the CX has been relegated to limited use registration ... I mostly drive my wifes C4 for the short trips around town. This does have a positive though..... After 20years of driving CX's, you realise what a bloody incredible car they are if you drive the C4 for a week, then jump back into the CX. The CX is soooo much nicer to drive!

GB's going to get a hell of a surprise at how nice the 'D' is after driving a Xsara for an extended period too

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say, Shane. Without blowing my FIAMM trumpet, the paint on it is quite exceptional in comparison to most CXs with the yellow drum speedo.

My dad had one the same colour in the mid-80s, so it's got a sentimental thing going on for me.

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

'74 DSpecial on LPG, I drive it everyday, everywhere, recently Melbourne to Coffs and Melbs to Adelaide with many trips between Melb Sydney/Canberra

My other car is a 2cv currently in resto. Hopefully these will be the only two cars I ever need

Harley

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi all

My partner just asked me if many of you drove your DS daily. I'm guessing not but thought it might be an interesting topic. My DecidedlySpecial is my only car so takes me everywhere.. So cough up y'all. Pics would be good!

Matthew

PS This was my daily driver for 12 yrs before I bought the DSpecial.
    Hello Matthew,

From 63 to 91 the only cars I owned with Cit D's and 1 SM. Given that Cit abandoned us in 72 it was, at times, a bit of struggle. Since 2003 my daily driver is my 72 DS that I salvaged just about an hour from a 'crushing' death. Until last summer when I acquired a 69.5 Safari, it was my only car. The 72 just crossed a total of 608,000 miles (111,000 ) of them mine.

JBN

Donat, I agree with Shane - that really is a nice CX. I liked the bronze, light green and light blue metallics on the early series 1 CX (late 70's). Mine was light green in two pack Glasurit. The metallic silver was better on the 25IE rather than the earlier ones.

My daily drive is a 1995 Xantia VSX.

Yesterday, I took a bus to the hospital to drive a neighbour home in her car (which was parked at the uni next door). Her car was a Camry with the works - leather seats, electric adjustment in all directions, no key, just a start/stop button. What a bloody nightmare!

Typical woman, had the seat so far forward that the airbag would be useless. First, how to get the seat back so I could get into the car? Eventually, I realised that the multi-function switch needed to be pushed backwards for the electric motor to eventually motorise the seat in that direction. This was after banging my head on the ceiling by accidently pulling the switch up; losing visibility through the windscreen after pushing the switch down; being thrown backwards when I inadvertently found the backrest knob then being pitched off the seat when another knob dropped the front of the seat and had me on my knees. Jeez, I just wanted to move the seat backwards so I could get in. I had no intention of wanting to adjust everything to suit me.

I started the car. Push the start/stop button after discarding the remote into a rubbish bin on the side of the console put there for that purpose. No key, no ignition switch. Brilliant while the battery is ok, cactus at all other times.

Got it into gear (automatic), couldn't find the parking brake. Finally felt another pedal under the dash and that did the trick. I wonder if they have a foot operated parking brake on a manual car? Be a real bugger on a steep hillclimb. Somewhere I played with the gearlever too much and ended up in Sport setting, so the car was automatic up to 3rd gear and then just held it. The real gripe was using the brakes. I kept hitting my knee on the steering wheel to get my leg high enough to push on the brake pedal. On the Xantia/BX/CX it is just slid across sideways. Why do you need to be a hurdler to brake a car? Thats a split second lost in an emergency. At least you get your moneys worth for the airbag deployment.

The drivers side mirror has been designed to show the whole queue of vehicle behind you, rather than being an aid in changing lanes. I normally change lanes (Sydney driving) using the mirror (on the Xantia it shows actual distance) by accelerating and slipping across. Being the generous bastard that I am, a metre is enough room. The convex mirrors don't have the accuracy for that sort of driving. I really don't need to know about the rest of the world when I am only trying to miss the front of one car.

I am glad I have a Xantia. I hope it lasts for the rest of my life, because these days cars are made for gadget freaks that don't drive. My wife sells Kids With Cancer tickets at shopping centres where they display different new cars that one could win.

On a Monday, I get to drive the car one foot to place it on carpet squares. If its a convertable, the hood goes down (once you work out how this "obvious" function works). The Minis are good once you identify where the switch is. The VW is excellent in getting the hood down, but one has to realise the you put upward pressure on the switch to bring it back up. The switch is in a completely different location. The HSV Clubsports are the worst. Out of a sample of two, one brand new and never registered, the other a current model but registered, I have yet to determine how the remote works. The normal "lock", "unlock", "unlock boot" icons (which need reading glasses to decipher) work in a reverse Polish notation type of logic. If you are lucky enough to unlock the car, putting the key into the ignition and trying to start it sets the burglar alarm off. When you then switch off, exit the car and lock it, it determines that you are indeed the burglar and from then on nothing works.

Who designs this shit? And for whom? And why?

I think a while ago, there was a fork in the road. The drivers and cars that were fun to drive went down one fork, which currently has the appearance of a dead end. The other fork was for those that don't drive, want everything done by pushing a button and pay to go to a gym to get rid of the excess weight. To stop those people dying on our roads, we have automated cameras to slow them down, but I wonder how many accidents are caused by hitting the wrong button or playing with the miriad of buttons on current cars.

I will admit the Japanese cars have good electrics. I just wish the aircon and blower fans would work on the Xantia. Still, the speed related cooling with all windows down isn't bad and justifies the fun I have driving a quickly (only to stay cool of course).

John

My DS has become my daily driver. Just a pleasant car to be in and I am slowly controlling the heat soak problem.

I even use it for trips to "the mall" for essential supplies. I think the guys in this store think I am crazy. Maybe they are right.

The guy peering in the car was telling his boy "Great grand dad had one just like this!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your daily?-daily-driver.jpg  
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Hello Matthew,

From 63 to 91 the only cars I owned with Cit D's and 1 SM. Given that Cit abandoned us in 72 it was, at times, a bit of struggle. Since 2003 my daily driver is my 72 DS that I salvaged just about an hour from a 'crushing' death. Until last summer when I acquired a 69.5 Safari, it was my only car. The 72 just crossed a total of 608,000 miles (111,000 ) of them mine.
    Hi Steve. Your DS,seems to be a Euro import,because it has the glass covers over the Marchal or Cibie hedalights, and just like the DSs,imported into Australia,it has the vented slots on the bumper bar,presumably for the purpose of an Air con installation. Remarkably it has done well over 600,000 miles,and yet still looks fresh and good for another 600,000 miles,obviously your maintenance schedule for this DS is very good. Cheers. Joe
    1975 Citroen DS 23 Pallas

Icon6

G'day,
    I am back to driving the 18E at weekends only. To commute work I use one of these...and at work.. hi Nigel, did you notice I went quiet at the BBQ when we were at your front gate ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your daily?-page006.jpg  
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

This is my daily drive, has been since 1997

It had a rest around 2001 when I drove a GS for about a year this GS

then bought this and drove it for about a year before giving it to the younger daughter

It then had a another rest for a year in 2005 when I bought a red BX19TRi drove it and then gave to the older daughter. Don't have a photo of it though. To busy working on it I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your daily?-cx-grass-800.jpg   What's your daily?-bx16trs1.jpg  
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Amopallas View Post
    Hi Steve. Your DS,seems to be a Euro import,because it has the glass covers over the Marchal or Cibie hedalights, and just like the DSs,imported into Australia,it has the vented slots on the bumper bar,presumably for the purpose of an Air con installation. Remarkably it has done well over 600,000 miles,and yet still looks fresh and good for another 600,000 miles,obviously your maintenance schedule for this DS is very good. Cheers. Joe

Hi Joe,

No - car was a US import (notice the US front turn signals). A few number of US owners, myself included, have installed the Euro lights and covers. One of the reasons, I suspect, that those parts are becoming a bit hard to find these days. It has the US mandated (Lucas) rear turn signal/brake and tail lights. The car, for its age, had been reasonably trouble free. The only real major problems I have had in the 10 years I have owned it was the BVH taking out the 2nd gear synchro when a clutch plate toggle broke inbetween a rapid 1st to 2nd shift . That and the water pump manifold fracturing on a cross country trip to NY from LA due to metal fatigue. The engine is finally starting to show its age just a bit (at 107,000 miles) after its rebuild, but only at over 5500 rmp in 3rd gear .

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 27th February 2012 at 01:35 AM.

Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post

Daily POS .

At the moment my... our (family business) daily driver is a Volkswagen Amarok pickup truck which for it's size (just about 2 tonnes) still manages 9L per 100km, it's a 2 liter twinturbo diesel, great lowdown torque so we drive around at 1600rpms in 4th gear, going to 6th would let the engine stall because our speedlimit is 60km/h in town

The picture was taken last year when we just got the pickup, I have to say it's the nicest newly bought car/pickup we ever had!

We also have an Audi 1993 100CS 2.8 V6 similar to the one in the picture (don't have a picture of our car with me now) only difference is our has got the "clear corner" indicator lenses, even after 400 000 Km the car still gives a great comfortable ride. I personally enjoy this car as much as my DS!! Will always be an Audi fan too

As I said, our car looks similar only the indicator lenses differ

Cheers
    Corne
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Not to threadjack, but hey Corne-
    You never did say how the trip went. I'm assuming that you and your family had a nice holiday?

That Amarok would likely sell very well here.

Audi sold the hell out of the 100 and 200 here. I had one of the Avant wagons for a brief time- I rather liked it until a front drive axle disintegrated. To be fair, that car had a lot of miles on it well before I had it, and I got it dirt cheap.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The most driven vehicles in the past for me have been:
    1989 - 1999 = DSpecial.
    2000 - 2006 = DS23 Safari
    2006 - to date = C2.
    (I still have the cars and all can be driven daily, the DS's go to work with me on average once a week)

I live in Sydney and the reason I chose to drive a new car regularly to work and not a DS is/was:
    1. It has climate control A/C that works.
    2. It was easier to drive in grid lock Sydney traffic.
    3. It does not get hot and bothered in Sydney grid-lock traffic.
    4. I did not end up a heat exhausted wreck by the time I got to work in the mornings or home in the evenings - especially in summer especially in a DS, especially in traffic....
    5. A C2 parks in almost any parking space in the city, where as a DS these days is near on impossible, and
    6. The straw that broke the camels back in 2006 was having too many drivers of toyotas and various SUV's damage my DS's by driving into them in Sydney traffic.

It also reminds me how great driving a DS is.

There ends the lesson.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Thread Information