For Tim!
  • Help

Thread: For Tim!

Default For Tim!

Hi Tim, I was about to send you a private message and then discovered I could not insert a picture that will be of interest to you. So here it is in public space for you to enjoy and hopefully some others may also find it interesting. The white car is well known to you and belonged to Les Turner. I think you may also recognise the second car. The photo was taken out side the Wattle Park Chalet around 1971. I forget the name of the happy couple. They approached CCCV for cars and Les and I got the job.
    Cheers Gerry

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Tim!-kah-hry.jpg  

just lovely....
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Icon14

Tres cool. I hope the couple are doing well.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Wow Gerry.

Harriet the first and KAH! So I took over custodianship of Les' car about a dozen years after this photo. And there are the bumper mounted marchals! The hole for them remained and I always wondered about what had been there - legend suggested those old lamps but they were nowhere to be found. Young and impetuous, I fitted hella driving lights! That was the most beautiful car - some of them just run...magically....Kept Her for 6 years and did regular weekend jaunts Melbourne to Mildura to see Kathy whose first job after uni was with NSW Dept of Ag. Sold Harriet because I needed cash for post-grad study...regretted immediately and looked intensively to find identical car - which I did a year later in Harriet the second. Harriet the first is now a restored WA car but with a colour change - ironically to coral colour of Harriet the second! Ted Cross owned Harriet the Ist briefly before she crossed the Nullabor. He offered her back to me first, but I had just completed a nut and bolt all original parts engine rebuild on Harriet the second with nothing left to chance - she was the car I was now 'wedded to'. So passed up the offer. Short-sighted alas...but probably a good decision at the time Harriet the second was also a dream car for years to come...

I haven't had the same pangs of regret with the recent sale of Harriet the second. It's not because I don't miss her...I just am very pleased about the level of care she has, that she is passionately cared for. Between those two '62 ID 19s I met my wife, raised two children to their teenage years and chalked up 31 years of fully registered, daily and holiday driving across three Australian states. We have the memories and we are ready to graduate...a new chapter. Strangely the whole mythology started with my father's 61 Id that he owned for a mere 5 years before buying a cortina!

So Gerry and Les' cars are photographed at a stylish and classy looking couple's wedding in '71...fast forward 41 years...my son Darcy takes his first driving lesson in an 11BL and wistfully eyes off the donor chassis for KAH. The legend continues, while in warmer climes Harriet 11 is embraced by another eager family. Ah the wonder of it....call me romantic and you'd be right!

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 22nd February 2012 at 09:11 PM.

So you do have a donor chassis for KAH ? May I reserve first right of a ride in her when she is finished????? PLEASE!!!!!!
    Cheers Gerry
    PS She was AC 108a Palladium gris (plus fonce ) as opposed th AC 108b Palladium gris (plus claire) and had a pale silver roof.
    Make sure you get those Pallas 165x400 stainless wheel trims from Donat

Gerry yours will be the first DRIVE. And you will be driving me. And it will be a good drive. On a highway. KAH will always be 'Gerry's car'. And we will pay one Jason a visit! Donat's bagged the trims for us. Our fate is sealed. This dignified colour is one of the many details I hope you can continue assist with...I'm lucky.

Tim
    Last edited by Middlemoon.1; 22nd February 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Many thanks for that Tim. You will be a better custodian for it than I ever was. I became frightened of the rust and although it drove magnificently I wanted to sell it and cut my liabilities. Dad loved it so much that he bought it from me for the sum for which I purchased it, and kept it until his death in 1976. The will stated that it must be sold as Dad wisely realised that I was not in a position to replace the chassis and do the other attendant work required.
    Cheers Gerry

Yes well the poor old girl was only put off the road because the eager and perhaps slightly eccentric continental style lady owner ran a red light, was pulled over by Mr Plod, and the car given a yellow canary for rust....

She was of course a NATO car in Germany, but I'll leave that story to you. Tantalising documents in German in glove box...tinker, tailor...etc

Tim

Thread Information