C5 Dual Zone Climate Control Fault
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 Dual Zone Climate Control Fault

Hi

We have a problem with our 2005 (early 2005 so its the same as a 2004) C5. The dual zone climate control is blowing hot air out at maximum fan speed on the passenger side regardless of what setting its on.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Regards

Alan

Advertisement

The problem is no doubt the flap control motor/gearbox. This may not have failed but the pinion from the gearbox may have spread the plastic socket it fits into. There has been a lot of information on this problem on this forum. You should be able to access the remedy from someone like GREENBLOOD. It requires you to remove the glovebox to access the flap motor.
    /Users/allan/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/cit air con/IMG_4341.JPG

I tried to load a diagram. Maybe I could email it to you?

Fellow Frogger

You can buy a new flap motor, which will have a longer drive peg. If the motor still works (often the case) and you have the time to fiddle, double the length of the peg with the same profile. The original length of the peg was about 1/2 inch. It's a reduction gear unit, so there is fairly high torque involved and you need to secure any extension to the peg with more than superglue - i.e. fit a pin. If you get a used motor, only accept one with the longer drive peg.

Item 2 on the lower left is the one to look at

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks

Tasie 5 and David S

Thanks very much.

So there is two items 2's, one on each side. When they fail the fan goes to full speed on heat cycle?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Alan

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by 120L View Post
    Tasie 5 and David S

Thanks very much.

So there is two items 2's, one on each side. When they fail the fan goes to full speed on heat cycle?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Alan
    As I understand it the motors control a flap which essentially mixes available hot and cold air to give the required temperature.

The motor that controls the passenger side is the uppermost seen when you gain access via the (removed) glovebox.

This shows the new and old flap motors and as David has pointed out the longer drive shaft on the new motor.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Dual Zone Climate Control Fault-new-motor.jpeg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Default Blowing hot and cold !

Hi,
    If you do not wish to spend a lot on the revised motor with the long pin, there is an allmost no cost method as put up on the British forum. It involves glueing the pin to the broken socket. Worked for me and continues to do so several years later.
    I will see if I can find the printout if you are interested and email it.

As has been said the interior temperature is controlled by mixing the cold air and the hot air by a dual flap. The flap drive socket fails and it falls to the fully hot position. The temperature of the hot air and the cold air is not controlled but both run flat out. "Brilliant design" and used by lots of cars. That particular flap drive fails because it is near the hot water and the plastic weakens over time.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Default Cost Effective Solution

Jaahn

Thanks for your post.

If you could find the description of the cost effective fix I'd be very happy to give it a try.

Regards

Alan

1000+ Posts

Default Have found the fix

Hi,
    I have PM'd you so I can email you the pages.
    In anyone else wants it please do the same.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks

I'd like to thank you all for all the help you've given me, particularly Jaahn, Tassie C5 and Green Blood.

I was ready to get going on Saturday morning when I was told by my wife that the problem dissappeared on Friday and everything was working well.

What the problem was I'm not sure but I guess its something I don't need to deal with at the moment.

The good thing is that if it comes back and doesn't go away I now know what to do thanks to you guys.

Regards

Alan

Icon12

I'd like to thank you all for all the help you've given me, particularly Jaahn, Tassie C5 and Green Blood.

I was ready to get going on Saturday morning when I was told by my wife that the problem dissappeared on Friday and everything was working well.

What the problem was I'm not sure but I guess its something I don't need to deal with at the moment.

The good thing is that if it comes back and doesn't go away I now know what to do thanks to you guys.

Regards

Alan
    Hi Alan,

You can get lucky

Ours has played up on a couple of occasions, on each I have set the passenger side to minimum then maximum and back to our ideal 22 degrees. This has somehow allowed the cogs to mesh sufficiently to continue working.

I tell my wife to leave the temp control alone, if you are comfortable with 22 degrees in winter you will comfortable in summer. So far I have not had to apply a more permanent fix...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Regards
    Alan
    Hi Alan,
    I hate to say it but thats the way it goes. The bits lock back in a fashion and work for a while. Then on the worst day they fail again and the passenger is NOT HAPPY.

Fix it asap and harmony will reign. I think it's realistic to say it is not an unknown random fault that may not come back. The problem as we have described is so well known that even Citroen has produced a fix to sell you. This from a company that consistently refuses to admit there are problems at all.

Jaahn

I agree with Jaahn. Fix it soon.

Tadpole

Default c5 aircon flap

A couple of things that will help. I assume the interior is similar to a 2002 c5

The glove box screw located against the passenger side is very difficult to get out. The fix is to leave it there and just break it off.

The flap motor is the lower of the 2 motors (the top one just directs the air to feet, windscreen etc) The bottom screw is difficult to remove or to refit. The fix is to drill a 3/8 inch hole thru the plastic trim and then use an extension on the socket screwdriver to get at it. Getting it back, just use a bit of glue in the socket to hold the screw.

The english fix does work, Mine has been working pretty well for a couple of years.

Regards

Thread Information