CX Comfort Spheres
  • Help

Default CX Comfort Spheres

I'm sniffing around on Ebay (as one does) and I came across this ad (which I've taken the courtesy of putting it through a German to English translator) http://translate.google.com/translat...69b6ab&act=url

It says...

You are bidding on a complete set of spring ball for all Citroen CX. The set consists of five balls including seals. Either with the normal absorption of voting as provided seinerseit Citroen, or the Comfort version with slightly softer spring balls. The Citroen Fan's "float" to the love usually take the Comfort balls. These balls "swallow" potholes, etc. better off. What balls you want to share with me after the sale. All balls are tested and T‹V type approved. The balls are 2-year warranty, you will receive an invoice including VAT

Has anyone tried these, or similar? Bouncing the corners of my car is soft and to my knowledge, there's certainly plenty of gas in them. But the ride is nothing compared to my ID or the CX Reflex (which rmac now has) and I'd like to get that ride in a CX sedan if at all possible.

Advertisement

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

... and I'm not going to share my balls in order to ensure a soft ride.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default CX spheres.

The 80' Cmatic has softer ride than the manual for some reason..

Fellow Frogger!

Though we never 'officially' got the CX's here in the US I have, over the years, re-gassed more than a few of them for local owners and have modified CX units that were put on D's mistakenly. The main difference I have seen between the various CX spheres has been the size of the by-pass hole (hole in the center of the integrated shock body). 'Normal' CX spheres have a 1.6/1.4mm hole F/R. 'Comfort' spheres have a 1.8/1.6mm hole (same as on the welded D spheres). 'Tubro' spheres are 1.45/1.25mm (the same as SM's).

The by-pass hole is what controls the suspensions reaction to sharp or very quick movements of the wheels. The smaller that hole the 'harsher' those types of bumps are felt. The shimming discs control large movements of the wheels such as encountered over speed bumps and large irregularities in the road surface.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you increase the internal pressure by 50 to 80 psi the ride becomes, overall, softer. Go much beyond this and it will firm up. The only exception to this is the SM which can have its front spheres go up a few hundred psi. The down side is that the ride can become bit 'swoopy' in the process.

Steve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The CX sedan will never ride or drive as well as the wagon in my experience. The wagon has a much longer wheelbase, more weight in the back and DS 2piece spheres under it's tail end It's well worth checking the sphere pressures on your sedan before you start buying spheres either way!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks guys, I appreciate the words of wisdom.

So DS spheres on the back with 2 bags of cement in the boot will do the trick? I hate putting shopping in the boot of a CX or a GS anyway (too tall to bend that far down).
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

The rear subframe is bigger under a wagon. DS spheres will not fit

CX's are pretty good. It's probably best to check the sphere pressures first and the rear arm bearings..... Then for some perspective go drive a C4 or Xsara rather than the ID19....... After you have driven the C4/Xsara for a week, jump back into the CX and realise what a spectacular car it is "as is".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I drove a C2 VTS recently and thought what the.....!?

We're definitely on the same page, Shane.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I have set of comfort spheres, they were on the car for about 1 month. After a while I could not stand the bottoming and lack of body control in big undulations. I wouldn't recommend them.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I am using slightly flat CX front spheres at the back of the Prestige. I've had some good comments about the ride quality.
    I pulled out two sets of rebuildable CX wagon spheres from the wrecks and we re-gassed them and put one pair at the back of Andy's CX 2000 wagon. The ride was great with the perfect dampening. Often CX wagons have got incorrect spheres fitted and the results are "undefined".
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

The narrow track CXs have a smaller diameter front strut than the later, 33mm versus 35mm if I remember correctly which gives a much softer ride. I plan to fit a pair to the Prestige soon so front passengers can have the same ride quality as those in the back
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I have set of comfort spheres, they were on the car for about 1 month. After a while I could not stand the bottoming and lack of body control in big undulations. I wouldn't recommend them.
    Greg,

That really sounds like they were a bit low in pressure - the first symptom is bottoming whether in a D, SM or CX. The main problem with the comfort spheres is increased body lean in high speed corners. D's have the same problem. Going to spheres with the smaller diameter by-pass holes goes a long way in diminishing this. The trade off is increased intrusion of expansion joints, ridges and small pot holes. Having the tires just a bit over inflated will cause the same sensation.

Steve

Hey guys, I'm back again I think, you know when I've got study to do I'll be here for some good time out/ procrastination.

As Kimmo said with the correct spheres on my early CX wagon it rides very nicely. I put on a new pair of front spheres too and it is amazing the difference between regassed old spheres and new.
    I haven't wanted to admit but I've been driving to uni and back in a rebadged Puggoo and after riding in that the CX wagon is just sublime. The steering is better too and it does feel really rolly polly, amazing what you become conditioned to.

I reckon if you've only had a coil sprung car like my Xsara, you've gotta experience a drive in a Hydropneumatic Cit especially a CX as it has a unique and I think unbeatable steering system.

One trick for a very reasonable ride for a CX wagon is to fit front CX spheres to the rear that have run down to about 55 bar or even less...the fronts have similar damping settings to wagon rears but reduced gas volume. I did this for over a year of daily driving and it worked well. Now I have gone from 500cc to 700cc spheres the ride is even better with more gas volume it works as intended by the engineers.

Donat, for a CX saloon I reckon it is a few things, firstly which model is it (to determine size of struts, track width, roll bar diameter etc.), secondly, in what condition is the whole system in (fluid condition, valve/pump wear, condition of bearings/bushes/ball joints, height correctors and importantly linkages), to the third part the charge pressure of suspension spheres and accumulator spheres and how old they are as the damping gets worse over time. I've not yet had a Cit in perfect Hydraulic condition or at least been wholly satisfied and I've had about a dozen now. Even though my CX wagon has regassed and 'proper' spheres I reckon that there is a small amount of binding somewhere like rear arm bearings or front upper arm bearings. These components must be free to move.

Cheers, Andy

Donat,
    I recommend the seller in your initial post.
    Christian is a decent bloke and good to buy from.
    This has been my personal experience.

He is unable to deduct the VAT as with most Euro suppliers, he advised me his business is not structured to do so.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by richo; 23rd February 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo

Mine is a 12/80 complianced wide track 5 speeder with the narrow guards and without that amazing golf-ball ashtray.

It handles crappy Brisbane roads well. It never bottoms out. Shallow potholes go unnoticed. When I leave the lights, the back of the car doesn't drop more than an inch. So it's a little on the sporty side of things. My 25 GTi felt the same, as did the 25 IE Slugomatique. Loved them both, but I like to change gear when I want to - you know the drill manual lovers.

I want it to be like a barge. I want its arse to drop down out of 1st and again into 2nd. I want to feel like I am floating on a cloud. I get this with Harriet the Heidy ID.

I know I won't be able to replicate an early D ride (as it is what it is), but seeing that Richo's greenlighted the German guy, I might take a punt.

I'll get the ones I have on the car now regassed and if the Comfort spheres don't work out for me, I can always go back.

Thanks everyone.

D
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

When I get my Cx Prestige going nicely again you should try that. It surely floats.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

I will most certainly take you up on that offer, Kimmo.

I'm having my existing spheres regassed on Wednesday; then I'll know if I need to take the comfort route via Germany or not.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    I will most certainly take you up on that offer, Kimmo.

I'm having my existing spheres regassed on Wednesday; then I'll know if I need to take the comfort route via Germany or not.
    Make sure they do not over fill the CX front spheres. The pressure that is used (75 bar) does not leave a lot of 'wiggle' room on the upper end before the ride becomes stiff.

Steve

Make sure you check the heights before messing with different spheres too. If the car sits a little high it will hugely impact ride quality.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Kenya, Africa; Kiev, Ukraine, and Albury, NSW

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Greg,

That really sounds like they were a bit low in pressure - the first symptom is bottoming whether in a D, SM or CX. The main problem with the comfort spheres is increased body lean in high speed corners. D's have the same problem. Going to spheres with the smaller diameter by-pass holes goes a long way in diminishing this. The trade off is increased intrusion of expansion joints, ridges and small pot holes. Having the tires just a bit over inflated will cause the same sensation.

Steve
    Steve, I have a CX 25 DTR Turbo, and I am not happy with it "wallowing" on the freeway at speed. If I go over a slight rise, it keeps "wallowing" a bit until it settles again. I suspect this is what many like and see as a soft ride. I would like a firmer ride and slightly more sporty feel.
    Would I be better going for GTi "turbo" spheres for this purpose? I see you mention elsewhere that they have smaller damping holes.
    And how much difference do the Series II anti-roll bars make to the handling and ride? Do they only influence the roll, or do they also influence the ride?

I have a Series II parts car i can get the front and rear roll bars out of if they will make a difference. I also have a Series II TDR and it seems to handle better than my Series I. I often sit on 150-170 in the Series II in Europe, but I cannot do that in the Series I in Australia.
    What can you, or anyone else, advise?
    Shane

Thread Information