CX spoiler/wing
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: CX spoiler/wing

Default CX spoiler/wing

Hi all,

I am in the process of putting my rear wing back on the boot of the CX Turbo. It has 4 small white plastic L shaped attachments that slide onto the nipples across the boot lid locking them into position. The wing then sits on them and is attached by screws. I am not sure if this is the same fitting method in the CX models with the smaller spoilers but seeking advice.

Couple broken and need replacing.

I was thinking of getting some aluminium angle (should be stronger than the plastic) and drilling some holes in it so they fit over the nipples but positioned correctly as the plastic ones would be when in place. On the bottom I was going to place some double sided adhesive they use for the molding strips along the side of the car. Then simply drill a hole through the angle and fix the wing with self tappers. So a couple of questions.

Has anyone done it this way?
    Will the double sided adhesive have enough strength?
    Is there a better way to do it?

Advertisement

Thanks

Laurie

I would chase up the original fittings as the wing needs to drain
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Mines held on with double sided tape. It's always felt a little "loose" though (that's because the lower edge of my bootlid was rusty due to that plastic strip they put on it). The early bootlids don't have the rivets, so i couldn't use the clips.

Sikaflex would hold it well, but you'd never get it off without destruction in the future.

Smiffy may have collected a few of those clips, he's had several GTi Turbos. I do have the clips from my car here, but I was hoping to re-use them if I ever found the correct bootlid for it again (you see the cental locking doesn't fit into the bootlid on the car at the moment).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Just to check we are talking about the same things Archrival, They are white plastic 4cm long, L shape with reinforcement up the side. They slide on and clip in place. They then leave a gnats toenail of space under the main body with only the edges coming into contact with the boot lid.

I understand what you mean by drainage but what difference would a bit of aluminium angle stuck on with tape adhesive do to drainage. The angle will be up off the boot lid by the height of the tape. It would be the same as the capturing of water along the door protection on the car, though I can see how they have built the drainage into the bracket now I look at it from that perspective.

I understand the need for drainage with the fittings that were on the boot lid edge (near bumper). That was all rusted out and had to be repaired. I have taken the nipples off that area and intend to keep it clear so as to avoid and future rust issues.

Yes Shane, a few other things I will have to glue on as well but I do want the wing to be SOLID. Know about the boot lid issue we spoke before. That was why the repair and not a replacement.

Smiffy are you there - Do you have any? I will PM you tonight if I have not hear from you.

Thanks

Laurie

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I don't believe it .... I actually found the clips off my car. I can send you up and unbroken clip if you need a template. You could make one with alluminium very easily (just cut a bit from a stuff DS roof/bonnet). You would only need a drill and small file.

That would only be about 7things I need to get into the post now

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX spoiler/wing-spoiler_brackets.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thank you for the offer Shane, I have one unbroken one to use as a template but I managed to find them at $6 each at CX-Basis. Based on effort reward I am about to order once I figure out what else I might need at same time.

Thanks

Laurie

I didn't see this thread until now. I am pleased to have been of assistance Laurie!

Those clips are VERY brittle, (for the benifit of others who don't know what these clips look like, in shanes picture, left row of bins, second bin, the white clips to the far left) and they will definately break as soon as you try to remove them!

The bootlid on my turbo is rusted out on the bottom lip, and will need to be replaced. I have another bootlid from a GTi car, but of course not only will this need to be painted, but it has the wrong rubber spoiler on it, and so will have to be changed.

Laurie has actually done me a favour, by confirming that they are still available!!!

john s
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Thread Information