How did they do this
  • Register
  • Help

Default How did they do this

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/286067876.htm?ca=6_s
    turbo diesile SM

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    I think the question should be why???

This is more my cup of latté

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How did they do this-sm_v8.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It's worse than you think. Take a look where the inlet pipe goes from the air cleaner ............... It should "dissapear" down to a turbo charger ............ but it doesn't. That's a N/A diesel N/A diesels CX's give 2cv like performance

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I am thinking of the principle of bolting a CX motor to an SM gearbox I know this is a legendary discussion but it is there in the flesh ie
    SM-DS
    CX diesel-CX turbo petrol or Diesel
    the idea just will not go away
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Have a look on the SM lists on the yahoogroup server. These days you would stick a modern V6 or V8 in there if you could get one that fits. Bugger and old CX motor.... The engine bay fits a V6 .... A compact little supercharged V6 from a modern car should fit

I'm pretty sure there was a popular diesel conversion (ritter ?) on SM's in the past. They used a turbo diesel and 6spd gearbox. I'm sure googl would find the information on these

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

There was a company in France that did diesel SM conversions, however IIRC their workshop burned a few years ago and they ceased to be. The conversion served two purposes - replacement of "fragile" SM engines and improved fuel economy.

Below and linked are some photos of a converted car I saw in 2010. The car also had a six sp gearbox and the owner said it cruises very nicely on the highway.

SM with a diesel engine by UFO1966, on Flickr
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Oil burners...

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    There was a company in France that did diesel SM conversions, however IIRC their workshop burned a few years ago and they ceased to be. The conversion served two purposes - replacement of "fragile" SM engines and improved fuel economy.

Below and linked are some photos of a converted car I saw in 2010. The car also had a six sp gearbox and the owner said it cruises very nicely on the highway.

SM with a diesel engine by UFO1966, on Flickr
    Hi,

I could just about live with an SM on that basis, however converting a V6 Xantia to the XUD-10 might be easier!

At least the SM doesn't have the Xantia / 405 electrical problems!

Better question is Why did they do this?

SM is such a classic why would you want to stuff around with it. One of its best feature was that wonderful Italian exhaust note.

A diesel D or CX I can understand but a SM
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

my interest is still the clockwise anticlockwise thing and I agree a diesel turbo D would be the ducks nuts torque and economy less under bonnet heat perfect country cruiser

my interest is still the clockwise anticlockwise thing and I agree a diesel turbo D would be the ducks nuts torque and economy less under bonnet heat perfect country cruiser
    They did some prototype SM's with the Maserati V8 didn't they?

I could understand someone building one of those but a Diesel???

Speaking of diesel D's can someone through some light on this. Many many years ago a Frenchman I knew who grew up in Paris and was and still is into French cars swears DS diesels existed.

Says they were called the DS25, they were 2.5 litre diesels with automatic transmissions and were for the French taxi fleet only and were not for public sale. He says they were Citroen original and came about because the taxi industry complained about lack of leg and head room in the CX.

All the books I've read and internet searches I've done have never confirmed them but he still swears thats true.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Doesn't the SM spin the right way If it does you could probably use it's gearbox to repower a DS with a different motor.

DS diesels are possible. You use the diesel engine from a C35 .... that already spins the wrong way. The CX motor is less useful as it spins the direction a motor should

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Doesn't the SM spin the right way If it does you could probably use it's gearbox to repower a DS with a different motor.

DS diesels are possible. You use the diesel engine from a C35 .... that already spins the wrong way. The CX motor is less useful as it spins the direction a motor should

seeya,
    Shane L.
    That sound familier, I'm sure he said the DS25 engine was from a van. Was the C35 2.5 litre? He said they were not turbo charged as they were build for reliabilty not performance.

I've heard of a company in France that fitted diesel heads on D's, apparently that wasn't uncommon.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Better question is Why did they do this?

SM is such a classic why would you want to stuff around with it. One of its best feature was that wonderful Italian exhaust note.

A diesel D or CX I can understand but a SM
    Agreed-- Why?!?!
    1974 DS23 ie Pallas 5 speed

Speaking of diesel D's can someone through some light on this. Many many years ago a Frenchman I knew who grew up in Paris and was and still is into French cars swears DS diesels existed.

Says they were called the DS25, they were 2.5 litre diesels with automatic transmissions and were for the French taxi fleet only and were not for public sale. He says they were Citroen original and came about because the taxi industry complained about lack of leg and head room in the CX.

All the books I've read and internet searches I've done have never confirmed them but he still swears thats true.
    True and at least one still exists - see
    http://netpratique.aforumfree.com/t2...te-voitures-an
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Icon6

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I have asked these questions before and the answers have been vague if your right Shane i can feel a new project on the way

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    True and at least one still exists - see
    http://netpratique.aforumfree.com/t2...te-voitures-an
    Fantastic I'm rapt. I've asked every Citroen nut I've met and no one has ever heard of a DS25. That one is 5 speed and I was told they were all autos. Could have been converted I guess.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Icon3

Fantastic I'm rapt. I've asked every Citroen nut I've met and no one has ever heard of a DS25. That one is 5 speed and I was told they were all autos. Could have been converted I guess.
    ...and here's a yellow four speed and a white five speed (the 5 speed looks like the same car Gerry linked)

http://autos-prestige.bbgraf.com/t18...he-15-mai-2011

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

A DS Yeti!

I googled " Citroen DS25 gazole " and came up with this:

http://www.planete-citroen.com/forum...ad.php?t=89665

http://citroenclubduperche.free.fr/dsback04gapho6.htm

"DS25Gti turbo2 Intercooler
    adaptation du moteur CX25Gti"
    Last edited by wiley_coyote; 20th February 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: additional information

Have a look on the SM lists on the yahoogroup server. These days you would stick a modern V6 or V8 in there if you could get one that fits. Bugger and old CX motor.... The engine bay fits a V6 .... A compact little supercharged V6 from a modern car should fit

I'm pretty sure there was a popular diesel conversion (ritter ?) on SM's in the past. They used a turbo diesel and 6spd gearbox. I'm sure googl would find the information on these

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Honda "J" engine might be a good choice. Very compact, reliable, readily available and not bad looking.

I have asked these questions before and the answers have been vague if your right Shane i can feel a new project on the way
    Don't tell me the V6 in your SM has died

If your seriously thinking of doing something as horific as putting a gutless stinky diesel in there (why, why and why would you do that to an SM ). Why not investigate getting a bell housing made up to fit a modern V6 or V8. The modern direct injected donks from a commonbore for example are about 215kilawatts. There will be dozens of the bloody things in wreckers yards as the motors fitted to local cars, just go forever ..... they simply don't wear out or die. The hod rod shop in castlemaine builds bell housing adapters doesn't it

What about a nice modern small capacity V8 and twin pipes to get some nice noise out the back if you don't want to stay with the Maserati.

I'm sure Gerry Freed has posted an article before (lost in the crash) of a company the fully rebuild the Maserati with modern components fixing up all the problem areas and ships them out to customers "ready to use". Surely almost regardless of cost this is the way to go. Gee's I wish I could find Gerrys articles, there was a lot of details there, even down to the details of the sand casting of the block being a problem as they didn't clean the sand out well enough (or something crazy like that).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

http://citroensmregembeau.free.fr/ch9/ch090200/rg01.htm

Georges Regembeau is the man responsible for the diesel conversions. Great reading if you can understand French, but there's plenty of photos if you can't.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    http://citroensmregembeau.free.fr/ch9/ch090200/rg01.htm

Georges Regembeau is the man responsible for the diesel conversions. Great reading if you can understand French, but there's plenty of photos if you can't.
    quite a story! there's also an advert offering to convert DS's to diesel.

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Icon11 The SM is safe do not fret Shane

just thinking about the next project while I tear the new munster mansion apart finding termites,rising damp,roof leaks, plumbing nightmares and hidden basement rooms not to mention the vault with out a key
    playing with cars is but a dream at the moment

Don't tell me the V6 in your SM has died

If your seriously thinking of doing something as horific as putting a gutless stinky diesel in there (why, why and why would you do that to an SM ). Why not investigate getting a bell housing made up to fit a modern V6 or V8. The modern direct injected donks from a commonbore for example are about 215kilawatts. There will be dozens of the bloody things in wreckers yards as the motors fitted to local cars, just go forever ..... they simply don't wear out or die. The hod rod shop in castlemaine builds bell housing adapters doesn't it

What about a nice modern small capacity V8 and twin pipes to get some nice noise out the back if you don't want to stay with the Maserati.

I'm sure Gerry Freed has posted an article before (lost in the crash) of a company the fully rebuild the Maserati with modern components fixing up all the problem areas and ships them out to customers "ready to use". Surely almost regardless of cost this is the way to go. Gee's I wish I could find Gerrys articles, there was a lot of details there, even down to the details of the sand casting of the block being a problem as they didn't clean the sand out well enough (or something crazy like that).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How did they do this-20-first-ave5-small.jpg  

Thread Information