scam involving DS3
  • Register
  • Help

Default scam involving DS3

Beware of ads for second hand DS3 from overseas and that look tempting. Renault and PSA are working with the French police to stop a new way of rebirthing cars. it particularly has struck the DS3 because of its popularity. Aspiration marketing is all very well but greed takes over if supply is not there.
    Here is what is happening. A deal is done with a garage worker in a country outside France, where they can be bribed to hand over the access codes for the PSA dealer computer. They then steal the DS in France and now having access to the register they can check the VIN number and get the data to reprogram a set of keys. There is a more sophisticated route by which they gain the codes of another DS3 and then duplicate them in the stolen car. It then is sold on Le Bon Coin or similar and the vendor gets the money and vanishes. It is an organised gang activity.
    PSA are about to change the password system so that are regularly updated and people are advised to buy their second hand DS3 from a reputable source.

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Cant' you simply just check the cars VIN and see if it's a stolen car Just like you would for any car? I would have thought it would be quicker and easier to break into the owners house and steal the cars keys than to reprogram some blanks to steal the car

we keep all spare car keys locked up ... Simply due to the fact the easiest way to steal any car these days is to use the cars keys.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The VIN number is readable on a parked DS3 but which of the thousand apartments in Paris nearby are you going to search for the keys?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    The VIN number is readable on a parked DS3 but which of the thousand apartments in Paris nearby are you going to search for the keys?
    Maybe find a car that's parked in someones yard... that way you should know which house the keys are in

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

These people aren't stealing the odd car for joy rides, it's a large scale rebirthing racket. The DS3 is a city car where people live in apartments not houses and have few yards but common entry points to staircases and lifts. Another world!

Fellow Frogger!

I have been told that in OZ, for really desirable cars, thieves will use surveillance strategies to identify owners, then break in to get the keys.
    I'm not sure why anyone would buy a new car from other than a dealer ( warranty) or not question a near new car being moved on so young.
    Thanks, Gerry. Greed does cloud good judgement.
    Last edited by moulton2speed; 20th February 2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Meanwhile, in Australia, the list price of new DS3's was dropped by around $6000 to shift them. Reminds me of the days when I had an AX GTi, easily mistaken for the then popular Suzuki GTi. Mine had stickers saying "Citroen alarm installed" - the stickers were the only alarm fitted, placed near where the Suzuki thief wouldn't be able to find the door handle.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Meanwhile, in Australia, the list price of new DS3's was dropped by around $6000 to shift them.
    see thread
    So.....we all love French cars, but what do the French actually buy?
    It is no. 15 on the 100 most popular models sold in France last month and is urban peacock display.

Thread Information