GS ignition lock puzzle
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default GS ignition lock puzzle

I am trying to remove the ignition lock after a potential thief tried to operate the ignition without a key, and now the key wont turn .

I have a spare barrel, so now trying to remove the old one. The key wont turn, so the steering lock wont retract and the barrel wont come out ......

Advertisement

i got as far as removing the steering wheel, i can see the steering lock part and will try to push it down, otherwise have to remove the whole top column

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Steering lock

Hi,

It won't come out unless you can turn it on, as there is a second pin that engages the lock barrel sleeve in the column It is typically about 4 mm diameter and fits into a slot in the steel sleeve opposite the big pin that locks the steering wheel. One has to push it in against a spring to get the lock out normally.

It may be possible to bend the strip of steel column outwards so the lock barrel can be pulled out. (works with 504s, sometimes) or I have a good GS column housing around here somewhere... I might even have a lock with a key!

Bruce.

Fellow Frogger!

looks like i will have to remove the upper column, i was hoping avoid it

Peter,

This brings back bad memories of when my ignition lock collapsed when I was on holidays at Noosa in the early 1980s.

RACQ were hopeless gave up. So I looked up Reddiex in the phone book and rang Bob on the weekend. His advice was if the steering lock could not be disengaged, you had to take the steering column right out from the universal joint. The slot in the column tapers out and then you can take the lock off the column housing. This was quite an exercise when you are on holidays but I didn't have much alternative. Luckily, I had my trusty Sidchrome tool kit with me.

After I got the lock off, I ended up separating the electric switch off the back of the lock and the driving home using a screwdriver in the switch to get from off to run to start and back to run.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 19th February 2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information