First six months - DS 23
  • Register
  • Help

Default First six months - DS 23

I'm now almost six months into using my 1974 DS 23 Pallas as a daily drive. I've broken down a few times, all in the first month, due to the car previously sitting around too much & finding out when the needle says empty, there really is no petrol left.

Advertisement

Today my mechanic finished changing the engine and gearbox oil, filter, greasing and general maintenance. We've got a list of small things that need doing, which we will progress over the coming months. As I drove home I reflected on the ups and downs of owning a goddess. The ride is so smooth and the smell of the interior is so old school. There's no difficulty in keeping up with traffic. It's been fun and memorable for my family. Sure, I've arrived at meetings soaked in sweat. Sure, I will happily park 200m away from the supermarket if it means no one can park next to me. And I drop a bit of oil here and there. Yes, safety is not as good etc etc. But the amount of driving I'm doing (non-highway inner city) under 60 km/h I don't rate airbags/ABS/AntiRoll as required.

It's a car that breaks down barriers, gets people talking to you. Waving frantically at you. Winking appreciatively at the lights. Running after you to ask what it is. Staring. Taking photos! My wife says it's a old bloke magnet.

Everything is placed exactly where it needs to be - the door handles, the instrument panel, the switches, the mirrors. They just got it right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First six months - DS 23-photo.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Default Delights of a DS

Interesting hearing from you ntr. I sometimes get bogged down with decisionmaking and the practicallities of owning "too many" Citroens. It's so refreshing to be reminded of the joys of owning one of these cars. I had Kaz here yesterday "drooling" over my little collection. It must be a shock to a relative newcomer to these "weird" cars to come to a shed like mine. I tidied it up the best I could so at least they looked interesting. On his way out, carrying some parts he needed plus that much wanted waterpump mounting block, I told him of the '23 5 speed I'd saved from the crusher sitting out of view. After I'd spent at least an hour with him, I suggested we go for a "spin" in my 1960 French ID as he hasn't yet driven his. I felt terrible when he said that his wife was waiting for him in the car, in the hot sun. She was very good about it. I've replied to your thread wanting a DS brain. Yes, this Froggy Site puts a smile on my face. Thanks ntr. Michael

Safety is paramount
    Bit of a wet night, your travelling at 50km/h, delivery van turns in front of you while talking on the mobile, give me ABS, Airbags, ESP anytime to save you. Real world exp

Fellow Frogger!

Default Ds

Ntr,

Good on you mate. You are doing what some of us would love to do and try.

That account seems very real and I beleive every words, and there seems to be no auger coating.

They are an old car and bound to break down occasionally, make you sweat like a middle eastern taxi driver, and develop swear words that are yet to be discovered.

I am glad ou find the experience satisfying.

You are looks beautiful too.

I personally am with the last poster, and reckon that in this day and age, you are up against cars that are properly equipped, and you want to come out in one piece. Also, it het so HOT. And having a daily drive minus air cond would push me to the utter limits of despair.

I prefer the concept of having a newish day runner and a classic car to play with and do small k's in, but am inspired by the current Unique Cars article on page 84 featuring a 2cv identical to mine, that was purchased new in 1976 and has travelled 400,000ks with very minimal repairs and replacements. It now gets used as a second car. That would be as far as I'd go with a Citroen classic.

All the best with it, and you sound like you are a passionate man!!! It is a beautiful machine.

Chris Mortimer

parallel lives in shiny black 1974 DS 23s on opposite sides of this dusty continent...and doesn't that dust play havoc with shiny black paint, but it is worth when you give her wash

my car's story was in this post a while back

all the best

mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First six months - DS 23-p1020574.jpg  

Can't be too many black DSs with red interiors floating around Hobart, so I guess this is the one I've seen parked near Jackman and McRoss in Battery Point a few times. Have seen it in north Hobart too - it stands out!

From the few minutes I spent pearing inside, it looks like a very fine example indeed :-)

It's Hobart - dust and a lack of AC are not huge concerns!!

For me, having my back stuck to vinyl seats means I'm not likely to kiss the windscreen in the event of an accident. I see it as a safety feature!

D's look great in black, I must say.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thread Information