XM Damaged by Speed Hump
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default XM Damaged by Speed Hump

My 1994 Series II suffered a suspension failure on Monday as I went over a speed hump here at Monash University. The drivers side front strut did the usual thing and has damaged the bonnet. My good mate Elliott has offered to fix it for me but my insurance company will probably write it off. It's being assessed on Tuesday so will find out then. It's such a nice car to drive so I am really reluctant to let it go. Test drove a 2011 C5 late last year but it was not as good to drive as the XM. So I am asking myself is it worth repairing the XM or should I just let it go or maybe buy another one?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Cattle Dog View Post
    My 1994 Series II suffered a suspension failure on Monday as I went over a speed hump here at Monash University. The drivers side front strut did the usual thing and has damaged the bonnet. My good mate Elliott has offered to fix it for me but my insurance company will probably write it off. It's being assessed on Tuesday so will find out then. It's such a nice car to drive so I am really reluctant to let it go. Test drove a 2011 C5 late last year but it was not as good to drive as the XM. So I am asking myself is it worth repairing the XM or should I just let it go or maybe buy another one?
    Bugger. I thought the Series 2 cars had the later strut tops that didn't fail like this.

My view is that the repair cost is important relative to how long you want to keep the car, rather than how much it costs relative to its (no doubt low) sale value. Buy something else and it will cost more and, if secondhand, will (if a bit cynical) be "someone else's troubles" packaged up for sale!

So the issue is whether to claim on the insurance (too late for you to pull back perhaps) or just pay to get it fixed. Sounds as if the other side should be replaced too.

I hope someone out there clarifies the Series 2 strut tops though - I thought they were redesigned.

Good luck!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

UFO

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the speed bump did not damage your car - it was the moment that broke the camel's back so to speak. Upper strut mounts fail due to excessive wear from running on spheres that are going or are already flat.

JohnW - there was never (AFAIK) a redesign of the XM strut top as there was in the Xantia. It was only late Xantiae that had the bonnet punch prevention collar.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I keep reading this thread title from the corner of my eye as 'XM damaged by Cattle Dog'
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the speed bump did not damage your car - it was the moment that broke the camel's back so to speak. Upper strut mounts fail due to excessive wear from running on spheres that are going or are already flat.

JohnW - there was never (AFAIK) a redesign of the XM strut top as there was in the Xantia. It was only late Xantiae that had the bonnet punch prevention collar.
    Ah, I thought the opposite and always pleased to be corrected. Another reason to resist buying an XM, not that they are common in Perth............

Glad I replaced mine as a precaution, with later ones. The old ones looked perfect, but at 12 years..... Into the bin.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Buyback option

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Bugger. I thought the Series 2 cars had the later strut tops that didn't fail like this.

My view is that the repair cost is important relative to how long you want to keep the car, rather than how much it costs relative to its (no doubt low) sale value. Buy something else and it will cost more and, if secondhand, will (if a bit cynical) be "someone else's troubles" packaged up for sale!

So the issue is whether to claim on the insurance (too late for you to pull back perhaps) or just pay to get it fixed. Sounds as if the other side should be replaced too.

I hope someone out there clarifies the Series 2 strut tops though - I thought they were redesigned.

Good luck!
    Check your policy. If you have the option to buy back the wreck, then it might be reasonable to write it off. (done this with a couple of cars over the years) ask the assessor about it. The wreck will go to auction and some insurers will allow the owner a pre-bid

We did this with a 504 rollover, bashed it out, stuck a windscreen in it with race tape and drove it to queensland where we wrecked it for bits.

Fellow Frogger

There is a later style of mount with a larger ring underneath and most cars would have it fitted by now. My 1994 XM II has these and I removed a set from an early XM last year. These mounts are similar to the later Xantia parts and quite different to the early Xantia style without the steel ring at the bottom. I have a spare bonnet and a used set of front mounts/struts (not sure of strut diameter though) from that early XM if you get really stuck for them, but they are obviously in Sydney. Wasn't there a 2.0 petrol wreck in a Melbourne yard? It might yield bonnet, but the struts would be different.

Tadpole

Elliott has informed me that the top mounts had been replaced just prior to me buying the XM - about 5 years ago... Apparently there are reinforced top mounts available from suppliers in England? It would seem that the top mounts are almost a consumable item and should be replaced every 5 years or so just as a precaution. It would also be a sensible to install some protective mounts above the spheres. I seem to recall some one made some up here on Aussie Frogs. I checked with the Insurance lady and she confirmed that if the XM is written off it will be taken to an Auction centre. I will check my options with the insurance assessor as suggested. I appreciate all your of your input.

I know a guy, who regenerate the top strut mounts. He is from Lithuania though... But he ships all over the world.

The cost of complex regeneration of one strut mount is 105 EUR + VAT(21%). I don't know how much ship will cost.

http://elastomer.eu/en/strut-mounts.html

SMM

I have a Series II Xm that I might sell to Cattle Dog if he promises to treat it well.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Gee's I should have tried to get the XM here repaired under insurance (I still can't understand how a mechanical failure can be claimed as an insurance repair )..... I would have danced for joy as it was dragged away on a truck never to be seen again

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xm

I would be inclined to let that car go. That is a fairly major piece of damage and I can easily see the repair bill going well into the thousands. If the car is worth 7 grand, and will cost 5 to repair, it will go for sure.

If it were me personally, I would take the dollars and put towards a new car, and the C5's are very cheap at present. They MUST be a nice ride, but probably not quite as nice as C5.

It must be tough seeing a lovely car like that so badly damaged.

Chris Mortimer

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies Nighty89 and SMM. Will consider my options on Tuesday, SMM your offer is very tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    I would be inclined to let that car go. That is a fairly major piece of damage and I can easily see the repair bill going well into the thousands. If the car is worth 7 grand, and will cost 5 to repair, it will go for sure.

If it were me personally, I would take the dollars and put towards a new car, and the C5's are very cheap at present. They MUST be a nice ride, but probably not quite as nice as C5.

It must be tough seeing a lovely car like that so badly damaged.

Chris Mortimer
    If the rest of the car is in good condition, changing the strut mounts is one of the (very few) simpler jobs on the XM. The bonnet should even bend back into presentable shape enough to be driven until you source another.

You don't want to know how I know this

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Default XM struts

I've got an XM 24V 5 speed ( series one ) in Melbourne. I've recently spent $ 3k on new original struts and you can probably buy the XM from me for not much more than what I have just spent. 250 BHP.
    BRG and black leather. Used to live in Sydney and was rego OUI 123

Hawk

Tadpole

My XM has been written off by my insurance company and it will be towed away next week. It's a sad end to a very nice to drive car. After weighing up the cost of repairing the front suspension and then waiting for the auto gear box to fail, it's done 190,000Km, I have decided to let it go. It has been a very memorable car and I will miss it. Thank you all for you assistance over the last 5 years of my XM ownership.

Cattle Dog.

SMM

Commiserations Cattle Dog, no one wants to be in your situation.
    SMM

Current Citroen - : 1997 Xm Exclusive Series II, C4 Cactus

Previous Citroens: 2007 C4 VTR, 2006 C5, 1991 Xm Series 1, 1999 Xsara 1.8, 1988 Bx TRI

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

with the pay out you could always buy a diesel XM

think of the cheap motoring

you may need to find it's better stable buddy somewhere along the line though and convert it to manual to really enjoy it

well as much as you can enjoy the inferior brand
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    well as much as you can enjoy the inferior brand
    Why in God's name would he want a Chrysler?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

My XM was collected this afternoon and taken to Tullamarine for disposal. Had trouble driving it to the tow truck as the front right strut tried to push up the bonnet even further. Because the body was so low the XM would not drive over the kerb onto the road. Had to reverse it and try to lift the body with the suspension lever. The XM Lifted enough to drive over kerb and onto the truck.

The XM is no more...

I feel your pain.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Tadpole

Thanks for your sympathy Garth. Is the C5 a good car to replace my XM?

Fellow Frogger

The C5's do not give the same ride as the XM. Also, they are not nearly as DIY as the XM. Those points aside, they feel like more modern cars, but pick your model carefully. Try a few and see how you like them. My preference for a superceded C5's would be a 6 speed car with either the 2.0 HDi or V6 petrol engines. What you could get depends on your budget, but the 6 speed gearboxes are an improvement over the earlier models That said, you get essentially the same comfort and safety package in all models from 2001 to 2008.

The C5 feels smaller than the XM. The X7 rides nicely but not quite as softly as the XM, however it does go around corners superbly. So I am saying that the C5 does have a nice refined ride, don't get me wrong. There is no way you can compare ID DS GS to XM BX CX. So I don't compare them to the modern cars either.

The diesel 4 and 6 are both nice engines. Nice and quiet inside the car. Plenty of urge and good economy.

Yes, I would happily own a C5 should anything happen to the XM, but a C6 would be better.

I also quite like the DS4 too.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

I'd suggest a nice CX or DS would be a massive upgrade

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: If you like XM's, there is two cars for sale at the moment I would immediatly look at if I was in the market. The late model XM 24valve auto for sale in the CCCV newsletter and aussiefrogs member "hawks" Series I 24valve manual. no guesses to which one I'd prefer
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information