Colour choice for ID21 Safari restoration - does anyone have a DS in Gris Sable??
  • Register
  • Help

Default Colour choice for ID21 Safari restoration - does anyone have a DS in Gris Sable??

I am restoring a 1971 model ID21 Safari.

All mechanical work has been completed, and now it's at the panel beater having rust and body repair work done. (Steve Autobody at Springvale is doing the work - his skill and attention to detail is remarkable, highly recommmended.)

Originally the car was white, but I will be changing it to a different colour. I intend keeping the car long-term, so don't need to consider what potential future owners might think about my colour choice. I'm also not precious about whether the colour I choose only appeared on a 1961 ID or 1974 DS for example. I will keep the original colour for the roof/tailgate etc.

Advertisement

I have scoured all the colour palettes on the fabulous website www.nuancierds.fr.

I have narrowed it down to four colours, but before making a final choice, I'd love to have a look at what a DS looks like in these colours in real life.

Does anyone in Melbourne have a DS in one of these colours? If so, could I please come by to have a look at it in the flesh?

My 'Top 4' colour choices are:

1. Gris Sable http://www.nuancierds.fr/AC%20104%20Gris%20Sable.htm
    2. Absinthe http://www.nuancierds.fr/AC%20512%20absinthe.htm
    3. Brun Isard http://www.nuancierds.fr/interieurs/...un%20isard.jpg
    4. Bleu Camargue http://www.nuancierds.fr/AC%20635%20Bleu%20Camargue.htm

My email is [email protected] and number is 0402 618 054

Thanks

DS

I like Safari's in darker body colours because I like the contrast between body and the grey roof and side pillars.

My car here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/4982152575/

I like this colour too http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsdriver/6137459975/

Out of your 4 the Brun Isard is nice and would look impressive on the road!
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I think the dark colours look so good as they hide the panel fit too. Eg: A black car with black body rubbers and "black" gaps between the panels will look a lot better than a white... where the panel gaps are highlighted in "black"

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default Panel gaps

Fortunately the panel gaps are fantastic on this car, so I don't need to hide them.

Whilst I think a DS sedan looks best in black, I think Safaris look much better in pastel shades, well except for the Brun Isard colour which made my top 4.

Plus, I'm pumping so much money into the restoration, the last thing I would do is intentionally increase the chance of being pranged by 47% (i.e. black cars 47% more likely to be involved in a prang).

Now, where can I find a car in Melbourne in delectable Gris Sable???

Default quelle coleur?

Hi there,

We're on to our 4th colour now. Originally the car was dark grey with the usual light grey roof/rear, then followed white with a hint of green (blanc carrare), followed by white and now in the process of a kind of bleu camargue (english recipe). Roof and rear have always remained gris rose.

On reflection, dark/light grey is probably the best combination, in particular with a brown interior. With everything detachable, a colour change is fairly straightforward.

Good luck with your ultimate choice!

Cheers,

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    I like Safari's in darker body colours because I like the contrast between body and the grey roof and side pillars.

My car here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/4982152575/

I like this colour too http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsdriver/6137459975/

Out of your 4 the Brun Isard is nice and would look impressive on the road!
    WOW! That dark plum colour looks just stunning.....

Default Good point

I like that idea - OK so I'll take a punt on Gris Sable and then if I get bored with it, I'll go to number 2 on the list, and so on...

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Detachable panels mate...

Quote Originally Posted by bgbiteme View Post
    I like that idea - OK so I'll take a punt on Gris Sable and then if I get bored with it, I'll go to number 2 on the list, and so on...
    The safari I've got awaiting restoration (ID19F) has blue d orient on its' plate. However it has been operated with panels "borrowed" off another safari on several occasions according to legend... only the rear wings and rear door glass is different from the equivalent ID sedan, so just get another set of panels done for it...

Default Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    The safari I've got awaiting restoration (ID19F) has blue d orient on its' plate. However it has been operated with panels "borrowed" off another safari on several occasions according to legend... only the rear wings and rear door glass is different from the equivalent ID sedan, so just get another set of panels done for it...
    Hmmm, I do have a spares car with an intact set of panels, and good original seats and door cards, so I could have switchable body and interior, although the panels on my spares car would require at least $3,000 of rust and panel work to bring up to scratch.

I probably should hang the spare panels on the car being restored, just to see whether panel gaps line up - I'm guessing that if the panel gaps are out, it wouldn't be feasible to bother with using them due to the time it would take to readjust panel gaps, which I have heard can take 100+ hours to get right.

Only other issue is how to store a spare set of panels - those bloody front guards and bonnet take up so much space.

The thing I love most about this idea though is that I could confuse the hell out of the neighbours...

Black.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

1000+ Posts

Default Citro paint

Hi-Peppy la Pew says "those colleurs look orrible to differaunt degreases''
    RACV says "Says the says the safest colour is Silver''
    Plenty of nice metallic Silvers inthe ''froggy range''
    Simply for your consideration but I will close with 2 actual happenings in my life.
    1. When i used to sell cars @ Kellow-Falkiners many moons ago we had a really nice 280CE Coupe-Perfect condition.Only one problem-THE COLEUR.
    Lady came into 'view' the car-"Just what she was after,but she blurted out-THE COLOR IS SO SYPHLYTIC"
    iT WAS GREY.
    2.I guy I know owns quite a few 'nice' cars-one being Dino.He said to me'' I am having it painted Blue-That should not make any difference to the value should it?''
    Sad thing is that it made all the difference as the amount he spent on the paintwork was the amount it devalued the car because of the wrong 'coleur'!!!
    Anyway just some 'fodder for your cement mixer'

Pekay.

Fellow Frogger!

if you wanted to try the colours you could get a little made up and spray one panel to see how it looks

the safari will look different to a sedan in the same colour so looking at different cars might not be a big help

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb View Post
    if you wanted to try the colours you could get a little made up and spray one panel to see how it looks

the safari will look different to a sedan in the same colour so looking at different cars might not be a big help
    Heh- he could go as a VW Golf Harlequin, paint different panels different colors, and simply leave it like that. "I meant to do that."
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information