XM Damaged by Speed Hump
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default XM Damaged by Speed Hump

My 1994 Series II suffered a suspension failure on Monday as I went over a speed hump here at Monash University. The drivers side front strut did the usual thing and has damaged the bonnet. My good mate Elliott has offered to fix it for me but my insurance company will probably write it off. It's being assessed on Tuesday so will find out then. It's such a nice car to drive so I am really reluctant to let it go. Test drove a 2011 C5 late last year but it was not as good to drive as the XM. So I am asking myself is it worth repairing the XM or should I just let it go or maybe buy another one?

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If you like the car you have got .... I'd fix it Better the devil you know... You of course realise the other side strut mount will also need doing? I can't see how this (being a wear and tear mechanical problem) will be covered by insurance though

Take a look here:

http://elastomer.eu/en/strut-mounts.html

The price of a pair of strut mounts, bonnet & painting is going to be far more than the XM.

If it was mine I would get rid of it and get something decent .... Like a CX if the gearbox in it is flaring changes ... or the motor is using coolant, this is just one of a few very large bills that car will present you with in the near future.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Commiserations.

I caught the strut mounts on my '90 model just before failure. Just under $3k for a pair of new citroen strut mounts - twice what I paid for the car.

But as the rest of it was in good nick, so I figured $3k for hopefully another 4 or 5 years was of problem free XMing was good value.

I am now thinking you by a set of good strut mounts and change the XM around it on a regular basis

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thread Information