Dinos Goddess
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Dinos Goddess

Default Dinos Goddess

Well, as reported in the ebay thread... she is home...

Getting her on the tandem proved to be relatively easy,... We picked her up with the ML and I had couple of mates help...
    We used the suggested method of simply letting the tandem rise (wheels chocked) till she was winched on
    and then letting physics do what physics does... We were cautious but there really isnt much to worry about... Once the cars front wheels are on... the tandem can not go anywhere... and once the tyres get onto the body of the trailer it lifts rather gently... one only needs to then wait till rear tires hit ramps again...and she locks the tandem into position again... To tell you the truth I thought it was a piece of cake... But my helpers were thankfully competent... I must say, joe, the seller was very friendly and also assisted getting her straightened onto the road...Rear tow points are incredible on the Dee...duals... one could tow a mack truck with those... up front is a different matter. I guess citroen thought it was going to be so reliable it would never need to be towed... It was designed to do the towing...
    But anyway... she is home and she arrived safe and undamaged bar a couple of minor scrapes to the under-body (we kept watching for clearance)...

Here are a few pics to help record status quo...

Advertisement

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dinos Goddess-ds001.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds002.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds003.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds004.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds005.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds006.jpg  

Dinos Goddess-ds007.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds008.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds009.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds010.jpg  
    Pierre Boulanger likes this.

As you can see... We strapped her down reasonably well.. Bonnet wasnt catching properly so we put straps over both boot and bonnet... I dont think she moved an inch during the journey....

We unloaded her using same method but in reverse...

And what are my first impressions considering I bought the car sight unseen...

You know what... she is OK... I like her... she perhaps has a bit more rust on her than I was wanting... but its ok... I ve seen much much worse cars... A lot of the rust really is surface stuff...
    For a start all doors open with ease and shut with a nice "thud"... all windows wind up and down...
    Steering turns with ease and we had no problems maneuvering her to get her straight... All wheels rolled without resistance... Rubbers and seals are buggered... I removed the bonnet seal tonight and it broke of in hard pieces... but underneath... channels were ok...sure there is surface rust but no holes... Roof is superb... I dont think it has a single most minor bump... Doors and some panels have a few dints... but its not a biggie... easily fixed.... Boot is remarkably good... on the outermost top edge there is some rust breaking through but its high...Floor I ve not had a good look at, feels ok, still line din factory mats... same as on inside floors (check out the mouse skeleton...)
    Interior I think is stupendously good considering... Sure it ll still need a tonne of work but
    its O R I G I N A L... Same can be said about the under bonnet... absolutely original from what I can see... Hell it even has the exhaust shield...
    It ll be interesting if I can get her to turn over but I am a long way from that stage... I ll follow through with advice given thus far (soak her up first and flush old fluid)... I reckon I ll get her going... fingers crossed...

dino
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dinos Goddess-ds011.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds012.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds013.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds014.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds015.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds016.jpg  

Dinos Goddess-ds017.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds018.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds019.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds020.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You might have a winner there dino ..... See that grey vinyl on the sills you step over to get into the car ..... feel along the top edges of it ... Not crunchy is exceptional and almost unheard of. Clear all the sh!t out of the boot and see if there's a floor there. Pull the rollbar cover from the base of the boot, perfect "housings" that hold the rear arms is also very nice. Wrap your fingers around the edge the boot lid closes against, not being able to put your fingers through the bottom of this is an excellent start.

Fingers crossed you'll have some front floors too.... pull the crap out and check. The pink one here needs a front passenger floor, fortunately for me it's nothing as the rust isn't back into the sill area.

It's looking not bad at all so far. if there been no water pooling into the boot or front floor areas/jacking points you'll be very lucky as you could have an excellent basis for a restorer.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I have to say sorry to John as i wasnt sure when the move was going to go ahead, we ll have to get togerther another time... sorry ... and ofcourse it all happened exactly opposite to what i wanted... the guy with the flat bed couldnt do it for another few days... and I didnt really want to stuff the seller around with another cancellation.... so I went on Monday and 'surveyed' location and gave the seller some cash... We picked her up on Tuesday... Yep valentines day...
    All up we rented the trailer for 4 hours... and the job was done well within that time...we spent more time driving than loading... I live in south east of melbourne... car was located in Mt Evelyn... So a good job...
    overall and I have to shout a BIG "thank you" to my brother and brother in law... Both top guys who it seems would do anything for me at the snap of my fingers... Ofcourse I would do same for them...
    Mind you, you should have heard some of the "truly indecent" language when they saw the car...

My wife was funny though.... Last night she came out in her gown.... Hands crossed as we unloaded the car... she looked at it and asked me how much I paid for it... i told her... she almost nodded in approval....
    BUT.................THIS morning... she looked at me, looked at the car, looked at me... and said... "it looked better last night... how much did you say you paid for it again..."

Loved my oldest... he saw the car this morning... and screamed... "citroen is here... its here..."

Then he asked me if I could use it to drop him of at schoolll....
    I said NO as the car needed a bit of work and restoration to get it going... he then said he d love to help and if he can "clean the windows"...

dino

I m glad I bought her...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dinos Goddess-ds021.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds022.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds023.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds024.jpg   Dinos Goddess-ds025.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    You might have a winner there dino ..... See that grey vinyl on the sills you step over to get into the car ..... feel along the top edges of it ... Not crunchy is exceptional and almost unheard of. Clear all the sh!t out of the boot and see if there's a floor there. Pull the rollbar cover from the base of the boot, perfect "housings" that hold the rear arms is also very nice. Wrap your fingers around the edge the boot lid closes against, not being able to put your fingers through the bottom of this is an excellent start.

Fingers crossed you'll have some front floors too.... pull the crap out and check. The pink one here needs a front passenger floor, fortunately for me it's nothing as the rust isn't back into the sill area.

It's looking not bad at all so far. if there been no water pooling into the boot or front floor areas/jacking points you'll be very lucky as you could have an excellent basis for a restorer.

seeya,
    shane L.

I m sure once I start working on her things will really start to "come through"... Its "always" like that...
    but its turning out to be OK... She is definitely restorable... Only once the panels are off and she is naked will we know if the rust is only skin deep... "few" bad areas I can handle... but if she ends up being like swiss cheese then the resto will end up being very very costly...
    I think its going to end up being borderline and I ve just manged to catch her before she turned into dust... Either way... she is ten times the car that mustang is... so well worth preserving/restoring...

I ll post more pics in the next day or so...

dino

Congratulations Dino !

Good job getting the car home.
    From the pics it really doesn't look too bad, that early front section is a thing of beauty.
    Great comment from your eldest.

Cheers
    1974 DS23 ie Pallas 5 speed

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post

dino

I m glad I bought her...
    I'm glad you did too Dino, she looks very content, you two are going to have a great time together.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by ramonm View Post
    Congratulations Dino !

Good job getting the car home.
    From the pics it really doesn't look too bad, that early front section is a thing of beauty.
    Great comment from your eldest.

Cheers
    Thank you...

She really is a thing of beauty... I just love the "line-work" and the simplicity of the curves... the way the various surfaces flow into one another... its just such a "tight" design... simply no room for changes... every panel affects and connects to the next... if one could criticize any one single point it would be that "angle" created where the two doors meet... but only from plan view... otherwise all the curves flow beautifully...
    Open the doors... and the sheer simplicity and elegance of the design will astound... just look at how the sill hides the hinge... and the seats... just very simple and elegant shapes meeting with elegant lines... look at the door trim... the arm rest... pure elegance... and its elegance for the sake of elegance... sure some of the functionality is lost but who gives a rat... when you are "beautiful" you dont have to care...

dino

Looks great, Dino and welcome to the ID 19 Parisienne owners club!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

[QUOTE=dino;1035548]
    Mind you, you should have heard some of the "truly indecent" language when they saw the car...

My wife was funny though.... Last night she came out in her gown.... Hands crossed as we unloaded the car... she looked at it and asked me how much I paid for it... i told her... she almost nodded in approval....
    BUT.................THIS morning... she looked at me, looked at the car, looked at me... and said... "it looked better last night... how much did you say you paid for it again..."

Ah bre boze........

Did she start off with the above, please feel free to add the rest of what she said and I'm sure I'll understand whatever your brother said in Bosnian too.

Otherwise congrats, and I hope you have a good supply for the winter nights working on that one.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Looks good.

Dino, Looks a good honest restorer that will turn heads, would be good to get it under cover out of the weather though.

Look forward to hearing of the restoration trials and tribulations. Good pic's

A good start..

Regards

Ken

PS you did get some roses for the better half for Valentines day.......

Default Dinos Goddess

Memories...
    My parents had a slightly earlier model back in the early 70's - no bumper overriders/vents under the headlights etc, nor the fancy woodgrain dash.
    I think Mum called it "Bertha". It hauled the family around Tasmania after we left Georgetown, and served faithfully for many years, I learnt to drive in it (that & the 1952 series 1 landrover), it was finally sold sometime during the 1980's.
    At the time the cream paint had nearly faded to white, the interior was red (I think), I have a vague idea it was driven away from our home at Rosevears Drive in Tas.
    Dad got rid of most of the citroen collection at that time including a similar aged but modified safari (light green) & a blue 5spd DS23. But, there is still 2 CXs moldering away at Bridgenorth, & I suspect Ricks fuel injected D is still under a tarp in the shed! (I'll check next month.

Awesome car Dino. You are a brave man.

Ash
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Icon4 watch them towing eyes

.Rear tow points are incredible on the Dee...duals... one could tow a mack truck with those.
    Do not bet on it they aint attached to anything other than 18 gauge rusty metal
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Congratulations! It looks not bad inside!

Fellow Frogger!

Default An ID saved

I look in and smile when I see another ID saved. This one looks similar to the ones I pulled out of the "Paddock" West of Bendigo last year. Kaz is coming over on the weekend to purchase a mounting block for his waterpump and a few other things he needs for his ID. It will be good to put a face to a member of this sight. It's good to see that there are some, crazy enough to bring home such a "pretty" sight. The "other halves" just need some time.
    It's WONDERFUL Michael
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    Yes, beautiful car... from what we can see so far it looks like a good find.

Regarding the tie down points I think we failed you Dino. I am glad the car got home safe but I believe the accepted wisdom is to not trust the rear tie points because as Archrival says, they are often not well attached.

For future reference for those moving D's, the factory recommendation it to secure the front with straps around the lower half wishbones. The rear is more difficult but you may find you can remove the rear wings and put straps around the rear wheels being careful to avoid the brake lines. To stop forward motion on the trailer take ties aft from the front wishbones.

In the attached photo I used this system plus straps to hold down the bonnet and additional straps to hold the roof on!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dinos Goddess-tie-downs-ds.jpg  
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

Default Dino

Well done Dino, and you really are a brave man, and I trust you have good mechanical and body knowledge, because that car is a MAJOR restoration.

I love the comment made by your son about being dropped off in it, that is brilliant!!!

It would be great to keep us all posted on the resporation, and are you able to make a blog or website like Shane's with ongoing piccies? I love that sought of thing, and I am sure others do too.

Well done.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

or not attached, as here.
    roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dinos Goddess-dstiedown.jpg  
    Lasya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    I'm glad you did too Dino, she looks very content, you two are going to have a great time together.

Cheers
    Chris
    Its been a long time coming... I ve always wanted a D... In fact its one of my earliest childhood memories... an image of a ds.

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Looks great, Dino and welcome to the ID 19 Parisienne owners club!
    Thank you... I m really really happy I bought her... I always liked the later model more... but you know what.... I reckon the earlier model is a more "honest" design...

Ah bre boze........

Did she start off with the above, please feel free to add the rest of what she said and I'm sure I'll understand whatever your brother said in Bosnian too.

Otherwise congrats, and I hope you have a good supply for the winter nights working on that one.
    Thank you... No she was OK... She knows how much I adore the D... always have... I think she was half stirring me... she knows me better than to make me feel bad about the purchase...
    My brother also loves the car... my brother in law who basically admits freely he knows "sh#t about cars"... thinks its a pile of junk... but he uses cars for sensible reasons like getting from A to B... he d never be the one to buy one using his "heart"... To him cars are there to serve a primary function and thats it...
    as far as fuel for the winter... No I m all out... How much is a litre going for these days and whats the going "proof"...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Dino, Looks a good honest restorer that will turn heads, would be good to get it under cover out of the weather though.

Look forward to hearing of the restoration trials and tribulations. Good pic's

A good start..

Regards

Ken

PS you did get some roses for the better half for Valentines day.......

No... no roses... why spoil it...

yeah, will have a dedicated thread...

Quote Originally Posted by rbwadley View Post
    Memories...
    My parents had a slightly earlier model back in the early 70's - no bumper overriders/vents under the headlights etc, nor the fancy woodgrain dash.
    I think Mum called it "Bertha". It hauled the family around Tasmania after we left Georgetown, and served faithfully for many years, I learnt to drive in it (that & the 1952 series 1 landrover), it was finally sold sometime during the 1980's.
    At the time the cream paint had nearly faded to white, the interior was red (I think), I have a vague idea it was driven away from our home at Rosevears Drive in Tas.
    Dad got rid of most of the citroen collection at that time including a similar aged but modified safari (light green) & a blue 5spd DS23. But, there is still 2 CXs moldering away at Bridgenorth, & I suspect Ricks fuel injected D is still under a tarp in the shed! (I'll check next month.
    Mine was under an "igloo"... whatever that means... Hey, it could have been worse...she could have been stored in a nursery...

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Awesome car Dino. You are a brave man.

Ash
    I think you might be confusing "brave" with "stupid"...

Or you might not be,... in which case... thank you regardless the "diplomatic immunity"...

It looked ok to me... I ve just gone outside and checked again... and no bending or anything... solid as a rock... I ll teake pics soon... The area around the tow points although showing surface rust is completely solid...

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    I look in and smile when I see another ID saved. This one looks similar to the ones I pulled out of the "Paddock" West of Bendigo last year. Kaz is coming over on the weekend to purchase a mounting block for his waterpump and a few other things he needs for his ID. It will be good to put a face to a member of this sight. It's good to see that there are some, crazy enough to bring home such a "pretty" sight. The "other halves" just need some time.
    It's WONDERFUL Michael
    "pretty" indeed... Cars like these are like 18 century poetry... lovely...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Yes, beautiful car... from what we can see so far it looks like a good find.

Regarding the tie down points I think we failed you Dino. I am glad the car got home safe but I believe the accepted wisdom is to not trust the rear tie points because as Archrival says, they are often not well attached.

For future reference for those moving D's, the factory recommendation it to secure the front with straps around the lower half wishbones. The rear is more difficult but you may find you can remove the rear wings and put straps around the rear wheels being careful to avoid the brake lines. To stop forward motion on the trailer take ties aft from the front wishbones.

In the attached photo I used this system plus straps to hold down the bonnet and additional straps to hold the roof on!

Cheers for the advice.... THANKS FOR NOTHING... But seriously... she survived without any damage...

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Well done Dino, and you really are a brave man, and I trust you have good mechanical and body knowledge, because that car is a MAJOR restoration.

I love the comment made by your son about being dropped off in it, that is brilliant!!!

It would be great to keep us all posted on the resporation, and are you able to make a blog or website like Shane's with ongoing piccies? I love that sought of thing, and I am sure others do too.

Well done.

Chris
    Maybe I ll just "clean the glass" and leave it at that... The British conservation society will be most impressed with me...

yeahh... there ll be plenty of pics coming...

dino

Fellow Frogger

and ???
    Lasya and Kenfuego like this.

And?
    AND?
    Looks very much in the same condition as the ID19 I am restoring.
    Would like to compare notes.
    Rex B
    Lasya likes this.

Very cool, and a perfectly justified form of insanity.

1000+ Posts

Yes, but we haven't heard from him about this in over 4 years! And what about his 605?

Cheers

Alec
    Kenfuego likes this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Yes, but we haven't heard from him about this in over 4 years!
    He's still trying to find something solid to jack it up from...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information