C5s are too clever - they know...
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Default C5s are too clever - they know...

A couple of weeks ago I booked the C5 in for its 60k km service in early March. It will tick over that distance by about then as I am doing ~900km a week driving to work and back. Today it hit 57k km. I also figured if I book in early enough I can get a good loan car for the day (hint hint anyone at Continental Cars reading this)

Advertisement

But being the smart @rse car it is, today it decides it is time to start sometimes showing the "Brake pad wear" message on the screen. Anyway, I am advised there is a little more life left in the front pads yet, but maybe Mrs UFO's C4 will get a run or three to Wollongong and back in the next couple of weeks.

Only 57k km out of a set of front pads! I should be outraged - shouldn't I?....
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Absolutely! One owner of an early C5 HDi claimed 96K out of one set. Lots of long distances.

Yup, you should be able to get through them in under 20K with bit more effort

Fellow Frogger!

Nothing to do with those fun sprints down Bulli pass ????

C4? Craig?

UFO

I don't do Bulli Pass every day as my office is just off the F6 near "Dapto Dogs". I figure that as probably half of the km so far on this car has been city driving I have done pretty well. 96k out of a set would be great, but as David says - lots of long distance driving creates little wear on the brake pads.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

you are winging. If you get 30K out of a set of fronts on a CX, break out the champagne. Normal for a European machine, soft pads and soft discs = superb braking performance.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    you are winging. If you get 30K out of a set of fronts on a CX, break out the champagne. Normal for a European machine, soft pads and soft discs = superb braking performance.
    Nothing brakes as beautifully as a CX - at any speed. Wish I had such brakes in my ID or GS!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default CX brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Hi Greg,

I'd be very happy with 30k out of a set of front pads and a set of disks every second set of pads, if I was driving ther city commute. However;

I've had 60k and the pads are only half worn, in a CMatic, including hammering up and down Cunninghams' gap on a weekly basis... On the down side I've had anything from 14 to 40 mpg out of it too.

It eats front upper ball joints faster than brakes and also eats AC compressor belts. Currently unreg waiting for paint, park pawl and new pitons & liners.

My father was no slouch and still got 150k out of a set of 404 sedan front shoes (including weekly runs from western Sydney to Bathurst via Lithgow), 280k out of the clutch (the motor got smokey before the car needed a clutch) so there is a lot in driving style as far as wear on these components.

60k can be had from Michelin XZX on a 404 if they are turned on the rims on the second rotation...

A relative who shall remain nameless took as much off my 404 brakes in four days as I was taking off in four months- this relative no longer gets to use our cars.

It could be worse... PA-31-350 eats one set of rotors every two sets of pads and gets 600 landings out of a set of pads. Rotors are about $1600 each and the brakes are lousy by car standards!

Bruce.

I'm finished with that game. My hybrid's rear disks are rusting through lack of use. All that energy wasted in wearing pads and disks is saved by regenerative braking.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Hi Craig,

I had mine changed at the last service (about 48kkm) with OEM replacements I bought from JC Halliday on ebay UK - much cheaper than the cost through the Aust Dealer Network. I had been watching them for about the last six months and they were getting so thin, I even tested out the brake pad warning system to make sure it was working and to see what it would do. The service managers comment to me was that I had certainly got the maximum value out of the original pads.

The warning wire only works on one pad of each pair and it seems to be a pretty last minute thing, so I wouldn't be driving it too much until you get them replaced.

Cheers,

Ken W

70k on the pads and discs in the 406 - I'd be disappointed if I didn't get to the 80k mark!

Craig. The C5 sounds like a dud and you should give it to me.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Nothing brakes as beautifully as a CX - at any speed. Wish I had such brakes in my ID or GS!
    THey should be close shouldn't they . The inboard discs are massive on them. Your ID may have seized pistons upfront and air in the rear lines (and pads that aren't adjusted correctly at the back). The CX and GS brake valves work on the same principle as the ID brake valve (ie: rear suspension pressure feeds the rear brakes).

You shouldn't drive other cars at the same time as CX's ...... Drive only CX's, that way you forget how superior to most vehicles they are

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information