DS Crash Test
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS Crash Test

Default DS Crash Test

Afternoon all...

I was having a look at You-Tube the other day at the various crash tests that have been done by manufacturers over the years and thought 'mmm, I wonder what the DS was like?'

Well, try as I might, I couldn't find anything at all apart from a couple of 'set-ups' of cars plowing through them.

So, the question is, does anyone know of any actual crash test footage of the DS that is available on the wonderful world of web?

Oh, and I've something to prove to my Commode driving brother in law too....

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post
    Afternoon all...

I was having a look at You-Tube the other day at the various crash tests that have been done by manufacturers over the years and thought 'mmm, I wonder what the DS was like?'

Well, try as I might, I couldn't find anything at all apart from a couple of 'set-ups' of cars plowing through them.

So, the question is, does anyone know of any actual crash test footage of the DS that is available on the wonderful world of web?

Oh, and I've something to prove to my Commode driving brother in law too....
    There should be plenty of footage showing the results of crashes involving the D. They certainly do crumple but appear to provide good protection for the occupants.

This is a good starting point if you are discussing the inherent safety of the DS.
    http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenge...lin/ds/08.html

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njo_2...&feature=share

Try this. Not exactly what you are looking for, but quite a thrashing.

US presidential candidate Mitt Romney had a position as a crash test dummy in his younger years. He crashed a DS in France. Sadly an unrestrained woman passenger riding in the front centre was killed but Mitt survived to lead the free world.

It would appear that the car behaved quite well, crumpling well at the front and staying pretty much in shape around the passenger compartment though I think DS doors tend to fall off too easily.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...issionary.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Crash Test-mitt-romney-ds-crash.jpg  
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Default crash test

got this out of a dutch book about the DS in Holland
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Crash Test-cci14022012_00000.jpg  

Fellow Frogger

They may have been OK by the standards of 1955, but by 1975, they were totally inadequate in this department compared to the competition. There is simply no strength above the floorpan, except perhaps in the scuttle, so anything other than a front ender or low side hit would not end well. You certainly would not want to be in a rollover. If you've ever removed a roofrail, you will be horrified at how few spot welds hold it on. And let's not forget that the majority of cars are hiding often extensive rot in the C-pillars, making it even less appealing. Many serious crash photos show the roof panel to have detached entirely.

If safety is a very important motivating criterion with older cars, buy an old Volvo or Benz.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    They may have been OK by the standards of 1955, but by 1975, they were totally inadequate in this department compared to the competition. There is simply no strength above the floorpan, except perhaps in the scuttle, so anything other than a front ender or low side hit would not end well. You certainly would not want to be in a rollover. If you've ever removed a roofrail, you will be horrified at how few spot welds hold it on. And let's not forget that the majority of cars are hiding often extensive rot in the C-pillars, making it even less appealing. Many serious crash photos show the roof panel to have detached entirely.

If safety is a very important motivating criterion with older cars, buy an old Volvo or Benz.
    The link I posted to Julian Marsh's site actually discusses this...

<snip> While on the subject of Volvo, I recall an interview with a pair of senior people from Volvo and Citroën published I believe in CAR on the merits of active versus passive safety - you can guess who was in which corner. If anyone has this article I would greatly appreciate a copy. As I recall it, Citroën's stance was that the dynamics of the vehicle's handling and roadholding, coupled with predictability of responses should result in a vehicle that will be able to avoid accidents while Volvo's view was that accidents are unavoidable and therefore one should design a vehicle that will minimise the effects of an accident on the human frame.</snip>

Ronic I guess is more interested in the result of an accident/incident? I don't have any real life experience having never (in 40 odd years of driving Citroens most of which would have been driving Ds) had and accident/incident in one. On the other hand I have certainly had prangs (several) in other marques. Read what you will into that.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger

Perhaps, 'crash performance' is more appropriate than simply 'safety'?

Crash performance is actually more accurate, I agree. The image of a DS moving into an immovable object such as a concrete barrier in a simmilar vein to the way cars are NCAP tested today would be ideal....

...you get the idea anyway.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post
    Crash performance is actually more accurate, I agree. The image of a DS moving into an immovable object such as a concrete barrier in a simmilar vein to the way cars are NCAP tested today would be ideal....

...you get the idea anyway.
    Warning DS enthusiasts may find this disturbing

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

In all the years of D driving I have seen a few involved in serious crashes - both front, side and rear. Have never seen or heard of one 'exploding' like the video unless it was a staged accident for a movie. On that same note I have seen the result of accidents where the car was totaled and the passengers walked away from the crash with minimal injuries where the occupants of the other car were seriously injured.

Many years ago CJ Felts father feel asleep at the wheel of his wagon (a 63/64) coming down the Altamont Pass in to Livermore, CA (about 30 miles east of the SF Bay Area) and hit a concrete bridge abutment head on at what the CHP estimated was in excess of 75 to 80 mph. He sustained some injuries from the seat belt and one of his legs was broken. The engine was under the front of the passenger compartment (just as it was designed to do) and the front of the car was collapsed by better than 2/3rds. The CHP officers at the scene remarked that they were amazed his dad had survived the accident as the bridge abutment was only 2 feet wide and he hit it just about square on.

The car was transported to CJ's Berkeley, CA Citroen dealership and was on display for some period of time.

Steve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

All these films .... The DS has been chopped up to fail. A DS can't break in half like the film of GS's. They love having every panel unbolted too. I think this is why they have used the DS. The crash looks spectacular when all of the body panel "explode" off :rofmao:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Mmmm....

Hardly the way to treat a Citroen and a Lancia....

Harrumph!

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/
    I dont know of any footage but one thing I do Know is they self destruct very quickly as its only held together by a few bolts. The roor has no strength either as it to is bolted on and made of fibre glass. Probably only about a three star rating on modern standards.

Quote Originally Posted by XantiaHead View Post
    Mmmm....

Hardly the way to treat a Citroen and a Lancia....

Harrumph!

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed
    Yeah. the SM was much tougher.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWgXaO4pdTI

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default I've got a rolled one.

Hi,

I've got a rolled D Speciale. Minor injuries to extremities and a few scratches ( five teenagers in it...). Windscreen pillars folded right down but the B and C pillars didn't. Top of the scuttle bent on the LHS, however the roof frame doesn't seem to come into the headstrike zone if three point belts are worn. No torn off welds, so the few that are there were adequate. The B pillars are very heavy once they are off the car (twice that of a 504 B pillar)

My D Speciale now has a roll bar section connecting the tops of the B pillars and formed to fit against the inside of the roof, plus a reinforcing section at the base of the B pillar which also mounts the front inertia reels. Makes the front doors shut like the doors on my W123 benz.

Bruce.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default Volvos...

Perhaps, 'crash performance' is more appropriate than simply 'safety'?
    Volvos meet the same standards as everyone else- There isn't much room "above" the minimum standard for improvement.

It is just that Volvo sell safety 'cause they've nothing else to sell...

Had a baby poo brown 144 at one stage $100 with new tyres, new battery and three months rego. The 144 wasn't too bad but the couple of 2 series I've driven proved that Volvos are only safe when you hit something in one.

Bruce.

Thread Information