CX accelerator cable woes
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default CX accelerator cable woes

I was about 500m from home and I needed to plant the accelerator to get out of a jam. And out of that jam came my accelerator jamming on me and making the car sit at 4000rpm.

I look around the carby area and it it seems to be there, but it's quite loose and I can move it easily back and forth from where it comes out of the firewall area.

On top of that, the screw (see photo) seems to be loose and I can't tighten it - which makes the accelerator quite the loosey goosey. When I do try to tighten the nut, it comes loose again. From what I can touch behind it, there's no nut there - something I can't seem to work out.

Advertisement

I had a feel where the accelerator cable starts somewhere above the pedal and it doesn't seem like it's perished in any way, though it's a little on the loose side.

Any advice that would make my car all normal again would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX accelerator cable woes-acellerator-pedalo.jpg  
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

You haven't mentioned the return spring, is that still working as it should.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Default CX sticking open

Hi,

It might be the carpet in the drivers' footwell slipping down. I've had this on a CX CMatic. The pedal can be hooked up if you can get your toe under it, but re fitting the carpet in the correct position or trimming the hole that snags the pedal may be a safer option.

Try kneeling down outside the car and working the pedal by hand (with the engine stopped!) and see if it is snagging on the carpet.

Bruce.

Could also be the pedal pivot point. The pivot boss is threaded internally and the pivot pin is an all thread 'bolt'. On my car it was a bit dry and rusty so it generated enough friction to give the symptons you described. The pedal assembly can be unbolted. Just clean and lubricate the 'pivot pin'. I've only done it once and that was about 8 years ago. It's been good ever since....
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Fellow Frogger

Manually open the throttle to see if the butterflies both move smoothly through their full range and that the linkage for the second barrel works freely.

Thanks guys. I'll have a look tomorrow if it's not bucketing down like it was this afternoon and give you a further report.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Okay, so I got home from work and for the 15 minutes I had before a storm swept through my suburb, I tightened the nut at the top of where the accelerator cable ends, and that in turn tightened up the pedal.

The problem still remains that once I apply the accelerator, it won't retract.

Will have to explore further troubleshooting tips from here when it's not bucketing down or pitch black darkness. The neighbours are not happy with all the cars at my house; they sneer at me whenever I pull in or out.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Okay, so I got home from work and for the 15 minutes I had before a storm swept through my suburb, I tightened the nut at the top of where the accelerator cable ends, and that in turn tightened up the pedal.

The problem still remains that once I apply the accelerator, it won't retract.

Will have to explore further troubleshooting tips from here when it's not bucketing down or pitch black darkness. The neighbours are not happy with all the cars at my house; they sneer at me whenever I pull in or out.
    Coincidentally, mine has just started sticking open a bit too. Haven't time to look at it for a couple of weeks so will follow this thread closely!

Cheers and thanks!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

UFO

The neighbours are not happy with all the cars at my house; they sneer at me whenever I pull in or out.
    Bet most of your neighbours drive SUVs.

Just have some stickers made for the backs of the cars:

Number of times a sports person has reversed a Citroen over one of their kids? ZERO
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Craig, the Nissan duel cab across the road has a southern cross sticker on its back window... need I say more?

I loaned them my trestles so they could paint their house and sell it. Hopefully that'll be the end of me hearing MMM loudly of a weekend.

I must say that the 5 speed is really the shiz (pardon my urban-speak), as the auto robs the car of about >50% of its power. I always thought I had enough go in an auto, but the 5 speeder really is giddy up and go material. Shame that for a tall man like me, it's very tight for my lanky legs in the foot-well (GS's are fine thank goodness). I really do need to yank out the height adjuster!
    Last edited by donat; 13th February 2012 at 11:47 PM.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Donat .... you need to try a petrol turbo 5spd ..... ( on second thoughts ... don't, it'll spoil you for as you'll expect them all to drive like it )..... Get one with a hydraulic clutch

make mine a GTi Turbo II prestige thanks

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Well, I would LOVE to try a Turbo CX sometime. I tell you, it's nice to have the power of a 5 speed on tap.

I was 1am on a weeknight and I was heading home along the South East Freeway and these arschlos were trying to block all the lanes of traffic to slow me down.

I threw her into third yanked her out to the redline, weaved some lanes rather quickly while slamming on the town horn which quickly turned into country horn as well and sped off with no dramas.

Had a similar problem with morons on the roads at night in my GS and they made a meal out of me.

Late night freeway/highway driving in the southside of Brisbane is full of morons in their souped up Japanese cars.

And in the daytime, I get idiots jumping in my lane with the ID (where I've left enough braking space so I can always successfully avoid kissing the other car in the event of heavy braking) and it's just infuriating... and then they start climbing hills and I'm trying to wind her out so I can get up there in 4th without issue and THEY SLOW DOWN UP A HILL! *shakes head*

I hate it when my motoring has to be compromised because of morons on the road.

/endrant
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Yeah I drove a CX2400 5spd for many, many years. To put it into perspective. Ever driven a 2cv ? Or maybe a GS1220 running on 3cylinders The performance difference between that and the 2400 5spd is a similar difference between a CX2400 5spd and a CX petrol turbo. Absolutely chalk and cheese the turbo feels to accelerate as hard from 200km/h as the 2400 does from 100

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I have driven both, and I see what you mean. I really love the yellow drum speedo - the series 2 cars are a little too Poogoe for me

I used to 'like' the CX, but I now love them - amazing what an extra two gears and clutch can do!

Would love to take it to work tomorrow!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Yeah it's just a shame the gearchange and clutch action is so "ordinary" in the manuals. The hydraulic clutch is hugely better, however you feel like you need to "point" your foot in a strange way to depress the pedal (even though the pedal is so light you could push it with one finger ). The series I turbos have all the early dash bits, but proper gauges that are actually legible (unlike the tacho and speedo in the other cars ... that was a "guestimate" at best ).

Slugomatics kill the enjoyment of just about any car, it's not just the CX. Ever driven a 'DS' with a slugomatic :shudder: ..... What about an XM :dissaprove:

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Should a spring be here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX accelerator cable woes-cxcarb.jpg  
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Of course there should be, you can't remove the return spring from a throttle mechanism

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

That might explain why it's easy to floor it, but not so easy for the throttle to go back!

Tightening the nut above to the right certainly helped things as it was quite loose.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I've never seen one of those throttle mechanism without immense amounts of slop. You should see if you can modify it with a new bush ... it would probably make huge difference One of the reasons the cars feel "sedate" is the enormous travel of the accelerator pedal. You should try driving a CX and Fuego at the same time ... Just the movement to remove the slack from the CX's linkages is enough movement to have the 2nd choke wide open on a Fuegos carby

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Of course there should be, you can't remove the return spring from a throttle mechanism

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Further to this, mine has the spring but still has a return to idle problem suddenly.

If I tap the pedal sharply, the high revs die down, so something, somewhere has become sticky.

The pivot by the yellow arrow is very sloppy - is this normal? To be honest, I'd never wiggled it before and never needed to dismantle it, so don't know whether this is the change.

There's a good inch of free travel at the pedal before anything happens at the other end of the cable.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX accelerator cable woes-cx-carb.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Yeah, it'll all be in that spindal there.... Pull it apart and see if you can make a proper bush/roller bearing assembly for it ... I'd be tempted to modify to reduce the accelerator pedal throw too.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I have driven both, and I see what you mean. I really love the yellow drum speedo - the series 2 cars are a little too Poogoe for me

I used to 'like' the CX, but I now love them - amazing what an extra two gears and clutch can do!

Would love to take it to work tomorrow!
    Stop talking about CX 5-speed - I got 2 c-matics and one ZF. Want a 5-speed
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQSdmmRemeg

^ I barely had my foot on the pedal here..
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

John,

It looks to me like you have lost the return spring that clips around the thing the red arrow is pointing to. Yes these bushes always have a lot of play.

Cheers,

Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQSdmmRemeg

^ I barely had my foot on the pedal here..
    This one seems to go ok too ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Nrk...eature=related

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information