02 c5 v6- engine sounds like a diesel on some startups.
  • Register
  • Help

Default 02 c5 v6- engine sounds like a diesel on some startups.

the engine runs fine, and the noise gradually quietens down until it usually goes right away after several minutes. other times it doesnt make it at all.

i dont think it's anything tappettyish related, it sounds 'heavier' than that. sort of like a dull rattle. engine speed related. i cant pinpoint where it's coming from. but it's somewhere on the right side of the engine/ancilleries. and likely from the top half of the are, as the sound seems to be very clear and defined, as though i'm hearing it with nothing in between. that probably doesnt make sense, sorry.

car doesnt blow any smoke, or do anything wierd. the engine runs very smooth.

i read on another forum that the aircon can make a rattling sound on these v6's. i dont think it's that, but i'd be glad to be proven wrong.

any ideas?

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'd say lifters are getting al ittle gummed up or the supply lines to themare

depending upon the mileage on the car i'd nearly run an oil flush through and put some good oil in it and see how it goes from there
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    the engine runs fine, and the noise gradually quietens down until it usually goes right away after several minutes. other times it doesnt make it at all.

i dont think it's anything tappettyish related, it sounds 'heavier' than that. sort of like a dull rattle. engine speed related. i cant pinpoint where it's coming from. but it's somewhere on the right side of the engine/ancilleries. and likely from the top half of the are, as the sound seems to be very clear and defined, as though i'm hearing it with nothing in between. that probably doesnt make sense, sorry.

car doesnt blow any smoke, or do anything wierd. the engine runs very smooth.

i read on another forum that the aircon can make a rattling sound on these v6's. i dont think it's that, but i'd be glad to be proven wrong.

any ideas?
    Check the crankshaft pulley, the pulley is two part with a rubber in between, these do separate over time and will make a noise as you describe. Run a white tippet pen through the diametre, run the engine and see if the outer and inner stay in line.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

The A/C pump is a variable capacity pump and can get a bit of knock at idle. You can often hear it clearly inside the car. Switch the A/C off/on and see if it stops/starts with it.

Noises are hard. It's possible one of the variable timing hubs is not always engaging properly and that can make quite a rattle if this is the case. It needs oil pressure to do so. Does it go away after you rev it over about 3,000 rpm?

An important check on an older V6. Mark the crank pulley so you can see if the outer part is moving relative to the inner. If it does, then the rubber is slipping and it needs to be replaced as it's a potential engine killer if it comes off.
    (Edit: Looks like GB beat me to this one.)

not a/c, after doing the on/off test a few times. no change in the noise.

the cam timing thing might be on the right track? using a screwdriver stethoscope, sound is coming from somewhere near the solenoid that sits atop the rear bank(so quite near the cam gears i assume on these engines). raising the revs does settle the nose back down.

will do the crank pulley tomorrow to be safe. i'm fairly sure it's top end though.

are oil flushes safe? i've heard opinions both for and against. never tried one before.

if the cause of this noise is something mentioned on here, is it a warranty issue? or is warranty only if it fails completely within the period? my car is covered by the 3mth stat warranty. i looked on the SA consumer affairs website, but it doesnt go into any detail on what is/isnt actually covered. i'm also curious about some sort of fluid leak that is hard to trace. possibly it's the susp fluid, as it's quite viscous and around that area in the engine bay. plus alot of built up calcium stuff from a coolant leak(not sure if it's still leaking, or self sealed, or repaired) around the top join of the engine/gearbox. there is also a rocker cover weep on the back bank. nothing too serious though.

and lastly, to save opening another thread, is the accellerator cable or electronic on these cars? mine has a large deadzone, and i'm starting to think that flat throttle isn't 100% open at the inlet manifold. in sport mode it still shifts at 5500 at the most, usually 5000rpm. minus 1000rpm in regular mode. i havent had another person around yet to look and see what moves and where, but i think i traced a cable to the left rear of the engine, with a vertical pulley, attached to, i assume a pot/hall sensor, or the like?

thanks, as always to everyone helping me. i like this car alot, im just trying to find all the issues while i have warranty available to me.
    Last edited by simonr23; 12th February 2012 at 01:39 AM.

The noise may be the mutirib accessory belt.
    To check the best solution is to try a cold start up with the belt off , bit fiddley for just a check but if you have a spare car to buy a new belt before having to refit the belt is not so bad .
    Or try a little bit of water on the belt when it is making the noise , the water wont fix the problem but any change in the noise will indecate that you are on the right road.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Default rattle

also check the car has the correct oil filter incase the one on it doesnt have a non return valve, this will make the oil pump rattle on start up waiting for the oil to get to it.

something i forgot during yesterdays posts.

it doesnt do the noise from a cold start(first start of the day in the morning). i'm used to most noises being worse when the oil has drained overnight. i'm fairly certain that if i got for a drive now, park it for a few hrs and then start it up, the noise will be there.

Fellow Frogger

I'm sure there will be 'fair wear and tear for a 10yo car' outs in the warranty, so I guess it's a matter of how easy the seller is to deal with. Identify the problems, estimate the likely costs and then consider what you need addressed. Some things just go with the age of the car. Something being a bit sweaty or dried coolant are likely to be met with some resistance I'd think. However, a leak that leaves a pool may be different.

When LDS leaks a little, it tends to dry out a bit leaving an orange waxy looking residue hanging from hoses and pipes. (p.s. Make sure you know the correct fluids!) It may not always reach the ground. Leaks from the return pipe under the reservoir are common, but fairly easily fixed with a decent clamp. The power steering pipe set and the front suspension pipe set can leak and both are quite involved to change. Dropping the front crossmember helps here. The pressure switch on the power steering pipe ahead of the front cylinder head can leak and it's normally supplied with the pipe set, but can be found separately with a little effort.

Thread Information