Traction wheel/tire alternatives
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Traction wheel/tire alternatives

Hi,
    We have to get our Light 15 back on the road for a "gig" soon. It's been promised for a family wedding.
    Depending on how we get it there we may need some decent tires. Can we borrow, hire or replace ours with any others more easily obtainable. Is the stud pattern the same as some other more common. It is a large PCD.
    Anybody around the Newcastl area have some available for sale or hire?
    Jaahn

Advertisement

What you need is contact /friend with a traction in your local CCC or CCOCA and borrow wheels for the day, (been done before). The benefits of car club fraternity!

Or you could always buy new tyres - 390x165 Michelins. You will need them eventually!
    Some re rim the centres (not sure what rim they use) and fit more available 15 inch tyres. Have seen Hankook on tractions.

They also seem to have a similar PCD to old Volkswagens and Vauxhalls , but I haven't checked.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post

Or you could always buy new tyres - 390x165 Michelins. You will need them eventually!

???????????????????????

165 x 400

Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    ???????????????????????

165 x 400

Cheers Gerry
    Of course !! (brain fade)
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten

If it doesn't run on Michelins it isn't a Traction.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    If it doesn't run on Michelins it isn't a Traction.
    Same with the DS/ID and GS. They're just the dog's bollocks to drive in without the right size and brand to match.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

They were all designed when CitroŽn was owned by Michelin and the suspension and tyre were an integrated design. The Traction owed it giant step in roadholding and handling not just to front wheel drive but the first mass production implementation of radial tyres.
    When I bought the GS that you found it was limping along on Chinese tyres which were unevenly worn due to them being filled to the recommended pressures for the car, when shod with the original Michelins. The tyre structure was quite different and so they needed a higher pressure.
    Now that the Michelins are on the market again albeit expensive, I changed the front pair and once again it steers and grips like a true GS.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    What you need is contact /friend with a traction in your local CCC or CCOCA and borrow wheels for the day, (been done before). The benefits of car club fraternity!

Some re rim the centres (not sure what rim they use) and fit more available 15 inch tyres. Have seen Hankook on tractions.

They also seem to have a similar PCD to old Volkswagens and Vauxhalls , but I haven't checked.
    Hi,
    Yes and yes
    Due to various constraints; ie restoration spending and impending wedding, the buget is a bit thin just now So the 4 or 5 new Mitchies is "in the future"
    We were looking for a shorter term solution closer to the first one just for now. The original tires look a bit --well-- old. Still hold air and stand up but that's about all you can say
    Jaahn

They were all designed when CitroŽn was owned by Michelin and the suspension and tyre were an integrated design. The Traction owed it giant step in roadholding and handling not just to front wheel drive but the first mass production implementation of radial tyres.
    When I bought the GS that you found it was limping along on Chinese tyres which were unevenly worn due to them being filled to the recommended pressures for the car, when shod with the original Michelins. The tyre structure was quite different and so they needed a higher pressure.
    Now that the Michelins are on the market again albeit expensive, I changed the front pair and once again it steers and grips like a true GS.
    Gerry, My father converted his wheels to 15 inch from the original 400. he did this because in the seventies 185/400 tyres were $300.00 each. In 2009 just before we did the Moscow trip they were $450.00 each and I thought they were expensive.

I paid 108 euro each for these (see photo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Traction wheel/tire alternatives-img_2501.jpg  
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    I paid 108 euro each for these (see photo)
    Contact ? method?
    (well done BTW)
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten

Der Franzose - but I noticed their price has gone up a little since I ordered mine over Christmas.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Interesting sidewall sidenote is that these Michelin XZX tyres are made in Serbia. As an Albanian from Kosovo, I'm going to have to deal with that the best I can
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thread Information