02 C5 no rear door wont open
  • Register
  • Help

Default 02 C5 no rear door wont open

Right rear passenger door wont open. I can hear the actuator moving when I lock and unlock but the door doesnt respond to either door handle. Im assuming something is broken or disconnevted between. The actuator and the lock mechanism. Can the door skin be removed with the door closed.

Advertisement

Thanks for any help, as always.

Fellow Frogger

Unless it's just a linkage that's fallen off (not all that likely), you will probably need another door lock. The fault is not entirely unknown in early C5's. The lock motor is inside the lock unit and it's not realistic to dismantle it and lubrication may not work. They are not inexpensive parts, so perhaps look to the UK or an independent local supplier like Dapco-AutoFrance in Sydney.

Removing the door trim is hard with the door closed and it's easy to break something trying. Lock and unlock the car a couple of times and you may get lucky, but it's only going to be a problem again after you lock the car next time.

Again, you will need Torx drivers for this job. There are screws behind the lower speaker grille, behind the plug in the door handle surround (remove very carefully with a sharp pick) and behind the grab handle, which just unclips and has an easily damaged soft feel coating. To get the lock out yu have to remove the rear window glass guide channel - white plastic from memory.

thank you very much. i have warranty on this car still, so if it's likely to be $$$ i'll contact them about it.

Are the child locks on?. The rear most button on the drivers arm rest from memory.

no, i checked those too. although i thought they were for the window controls? the left rear door is fine.

UFO

An old problem. With the doors unlocked, firmly but carefully slap your hand under the outside door handle. It apparently jars the stuck lock mechanism enough to open it. Once open you should then remove the door card so that you can later reach into the internals of the door.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The best way to get the plug out undamaged is this. Wipe it grease free with alcohol. Once dry stick a lump of blue tack on it and pull straight out. Alternative method is a small valve grinder suction cup on a stick.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information