02 C5 no weak washers
  • Register
  • Help

Default 02 C5 no weak washers

My front and rear washers are very weak, noblockage. Just seems like there is poor pressure. The headlight washer is fine. Are there separate pumps for the lights and windows. , are they easy to access. I can see ill be needing a workshop manual soon.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

The setup depends on the car, but you'll find the washer bottle in the front right corner. You need to remove or pull the corner of the bumper out to get access to it and that means you need to deal with Torx fasteners (they are everywhere, so get a set). The pump runs both ways with a shuttle valve to direct the flow one way or the other. The shuttle valve is prone to jamming with debris, so it may be stuck part way or even failing.

The Haynes C5 manual is cheap via eBay, but doesn't cover everything. The factory documentation is electronic, but by subscription and intended for mechanincs and priced accordingly. i.e. expensive.

thanks again for your help in my threads. this one i think is on me to fix. not sure if i trust myself to remove the bumper(a bit) without certainly damaging something in the process.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post

The Haynes C5 manual is cheap via eBay, but doesn't cover everything. The factory documentation is electronic, but by subscription and intended for mechanincs and priced accordingly. i.e. expensive.
    If you are stuck use this link for the Haynes manual until your copy arrives

The manual thread

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

And also see if you find a copy of the Mechanics' Handbook for the 2002 year C5. Citroen issued them in pdf to provide a concise reference by year model. They will be out there somewhere, but are properly restricted internal publications. Printed copies may turn up via eBay etc. and they are very useful.

There doesn't seem to be a C5 manual in the Russek series, but his publications for other models are worth having. The Russek D-series Pocket Book is invaluable if you can find one.

It's also very easy to damage the washer bottle as they tend to crack quite easily where the pump is pushed through. Here are some different configurations, depending on the model/year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02 C5 no weak washers-c5_s1_v6_washertank_anot.jpg   02 C5 no weak washers-c5_s1_hdi_washertank_anot.jpg   02 C5 no weak washers-c5_2006_hdi_washertank_anot.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by simonr23 View Post
    thanks again for your help in my threads. this one i think is on me to fix. not sure if i trust myself to remove the bumper(a bit) without certainly damaging something in the process.
    HI,
    It's not very hard really !! It is just a soft flexible skin that you peel back, not any hardware. There are a number of screws under the guard and underneath and a few on the front near the grill. Then it just comes off enough to get at the water bottle and hangs there. Not as hard as it sounds. Fairly robust plastic really to handle. Just take note of the different fastners and their position.

I had trouble with my washers and cleaning the pump fixed it well. Just used a strong solution of dishwashing soap to soak it and then pump it till the ball valve was free and working well. The car had sat for a long time and the tank fill tube was open so it just had dirt in the system which had gummed it up. Still going OK after a few years. I also use proper washer fluid to keep it clean.
    Jaahn

bumper is off. only one slightly broken headlight washer cap... it'll glue back ok i think.

it seems the problem now is in the actuals small 90deg piece that goes from the motor to the tubing. have separated it from the body of the pump and have spent the last hour hopefully getting the gunk out of the front window tubing. rear window is great. currently sitting with some degreaser in it.

hopefully it'll soak through and then the air compressor will have some luck blowing it out. so far i havent gotten anywhere with wire poking and air compressor blowing.

Fellow Frogger

Tie the cover back on with something like stainless or copper wire. Pull the arm out and clamp it (photo), so you can work on it easily.

The pump motor should run freely in both directions by reversing the polarity and you should get flow from one port at a time, depending on the direction. Early pumps have the round valve and later ones have an octagonal shaped valve. If a later pump fails, buy a new one as it has a diaphragm that distorted - thanks Renault! However, the round valve can be prised off the pump motor and can be dismantled with care - it's a snapped together assembly. You should be able to shake it and hear the shuttle valve moving. If not, it probably stuck. Sometimes, the rubber insert in the valve swells and stops it moving, but since you do get some flow, that's probably not the case here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02 C5 no weak washers-c5_s1_v6_headlampwasher.jpg   02 C5 no weak washers-c5_s1_v6_headlampwashercoverdetail.jpg  

i'm a bit stumped with this one. when i had the valve assembly apart, the pump pumped perfectly, in both directions. when i blow through the two valvles, the rear window section is clear, the front window feels almost completely blocked.

i reassemble anyway(done this 8 or 9 times) the front window will work perfect until i use the rear window washers. then it loses some effect. this process continues for 2 or 3 cycles of front/rear/front/rear until finally the fronts stop working at all. if i pull it apart and drain the pump/valve and reassemble, it's fine again. and the cycle starts again...

mine is the round shape, so older style. i can hear the valve moving when i shake it.

thanks for the tip regarding the cover.

David, do you mean once i have the valve off the pump, i can separate it into it's black and white pieces(as seen in your earlier pics). i had a small try as it appeared to be clipped together, but i couldnt feel any give, so didnt try too hard, incase i damaged something.

VICTORY!

pulled the valve bit apart and found that the two rubber bung bits to the shuttle were too swollen to to fully release when going back and forth. a slight trim, refit and all is well with the washers.

thanks David, Jaahn and GreenBlood.

This is another one of those systems in which the factory expects you to always use their specified fluid. I bet noone does in Australia and cheepie washer fluid has too much alcohol or glycol or something for the materials used. Mine had a leak which the garage couldn't fix so it was filled with plain water every few days. Finally I had a look and discovered that the tank was split where the pump was pushed in. It is a spin moulded part using a plastic that will not take adhesives. I cut a tube of polythene from coax cable and welded the crack with it uing a temperature controlled soldering iron. It worked but I noticed that all the rubber parts were swollen.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thread Information