02 C5 no radio reception
  • Register
  • Help

Default 02 C5 no radio reception

Antenna is there. Im assuming its been unplugged somehow. Is it easy to get the stereo out on this model. I cant see any obvious holes to pop the stereo out.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Does the CD work? Is the whole unit dead or has it lost it's security code?

You need to remove the two small surrounds for the switches either side of the radio to reveal the radio screws. Use a flat blade to lift them from the bottom. They are likely to be Torx heads.

The common fault with radio reception is corrosion in the roof aerial, which I recall has an signal amplifier that can fail and could be bypassed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02 C5 no radio reception-c5_radioscrews.jpg  

thankyou. the unit works. cd's play fine, and i have excellent static on radio.

is the antenna molded into the roof, or can it be unscrewed? from my quick lookings, i didnt see anything that seemed un-doable.

Fellow Frogger!

I have a Peugeot 307 wagon, I had similar troubles.

My car has the black aerial on the roof, at the back. Sometimes called a bee sting aerial.

On the Peugeot to remove the aerial you remove the cargo area light in the roof, the aerial is held in by a nut behind the light fitting.

There is a signal booster built into the plastic base of the antenna. The antenna base is a piece of junk and doesn't seal properly. Water gets inside, corrodes the tiny circuit board inside.

On my car the signal booster shorted out, killing the power supply to it. Power to it comes up through the co-ax antenna cable, either from inside the radio unit or behind the dashboard, not sure which.

So in my case fitting a new antenna won't fix the problem, as the signal booster's power supply further back down the line is no good.

I got around it by opening up the antenna base (several microscopic screws) , removing the fine inner conductor of the co-ax cable from the circuit board and soldering it direct to the antenna terminal inside the plastic base, thus bypassing the signal booster.
    Performance without the signal booster seems only a trifle worse than when it was working properly - I am in a very bad reception area, and the car radio always had pretty iffy reception.

The good news is, if your signal booster is still getting a power feed, then you only need to replace the aerial base - for the Peugeot this is less than $50 for the part.

All this assumes your Cit uses a similar system with similar weaknesses - it might, or it might be completely different....

my issue must be something else. i saw that the last owner had already done your trick and tried a few others, judging by the various cut and re-joins at a few places in the dash and at the antenna. i'm assuming it's the radio itself that's got the issue.

is it possible to get the original stereo still to keep things looking neat, and to be able to use all the steering wheel controls and info screen?

also, is there an suxillsry adaptor available for these cars? some of my old cars you could use the cd stacker connection.

Thread Information