Got a BX19 GT today.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Got a BX19 GT today.

Picked up a silver 1985 Citroen BX19 GT 5 speed manual today for $440.00 from DS Motors. Like the last BX this one is a deceased estate. The paint is a bit faded on the roof and bonnet but it drives well and has great seats. As to be expected the dash top is shagged and I do have a dash carpet on the BX16 but if I put it in it will cover the warning lights on top.

Advertisement

Will have to swap some parts from the BX16 into it: alloy wheels, wipers, washer tanks, rear tail lights, rear spoiler and some dash switches.

Have not yet worked out how to turn on the front fog lights but will probably never need them.

Congratulations! I'm sure it will serve you well once it's up to standard. I'm looking forward to seeing it around the streets! Let me know if I can help with any parts.

Also we need some pictures!

Fellow Frogger!

Everyone who I have spoken to who has owned or ridden in a BX GT say they have the best ride- D like plus excellent handling. There is a Wheels magazine article July 1986 which had a road test of the BX 19GT. At the time it cost ($28,500) twice the price of a Ford TX5 Telstar. Part of the test was a squirt in convoy with the new Toyota Supra across the Bell's Line of Road...." with barely half the power of the Japanese coupe, was able to make it work indecently hard even to maintain station, and it was only on the long, very fast sections that the coupe could gain any advantage over the Citroen. It was a most impressive display, made even more so when you realise that the new Toyota Supra- had just won our giant seven car GT-sports comparison".

Congrats on your true GT thoroughbred.

Maaate, Love the BX. Post some pics

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Hope you get many, many more enjoyable BX kilometres out of the new acquisition. You've certainly got a rare set of wheels.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    Everyone who I have spoken to who has owned or ridden in a BX GT say they have the best ride- D like plus excellent handling. There is a Wheels magazine article July 1986 which had a road test of the BX 19GT. At the time it cost ($28,500) twice the price of a Ford TX5 Telstar. Part of the test was a squirt in convoy with the new Toyota Supra across the Bell's Line of Road...." with barely half the power of the Japanese coupe, was able to make it work indecently hard even to maintain station, and it was only on the long, very fast sections that the coupe could gain any advantage over the Citroen. It was a most impressive display, made even more so when you realise that the new Toyota Supra- had just won our giant seven car GT-sports comparison".

Congrats on your true GT thoroughbred.
    Yep, great car if all is well set up. I have owned a few and to me they were always cars you had to fiddle with. I could never understood why the GTI was never brought into the country(a few private imports though) And with the ADR stipulations, there were far to many hoses in the engine bay and coming out of the carby. Bruce Elsegood had a BX once and I was surprised how much room there was in the engine bay." I ripped everything out that was not needed". By the way, that 86 GT from wheels was once owned by Gus Robinson of NSW but got written of and scrapped I believe. Still, congrats, some of these cars should be preserved.

Fellow Frogger!

Have not yet worked out how to turn on the front fog lights but will probably never need them.[/QUOTE]

I too had a BXGT for 200,000KM+ of fun - driving and working on it The driving light switch, from memory, is on the LHS at the bottom of the switch cluster that operates the lights. Click it "in" for on/off. Great switch arrangement; just extend the fingers and there they are. Very CX like.
    I have a used carby, distributer and cap here if you want them. Cost of postage only.
    Have fun
    Michael
    C5HDI
    BX TRI Estate
    BX16v

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Yep, great car if all is well set up. I have owned a few and to me they were always cars you had to fiddle with. I could never understood why the GTI was never brought into the country(a few private imports though) And with the ADR stipulations, there were far to many hoses in the engine bay and coming out of the carby. Bruce Elsegood had a BX once and I was surprised how much room there was in the engine bay." I ripped everything out that was not needed". By the way, that 86 GT from wheels was once owned by Gus Robinson of NSW but got written of and scrapped I believe. Still, congrats, some of these cars should be preserved.
    To tell more of the story, someone driving a car towing a boat trailer around the notorious Minnamurra bends lost control of the rig and the trailer smashed into the front of the BX as Maryanne was driving home from work. Apparently the attending Police expected they were arriving at a fatality. They were amazed at how the BX had protected Maryanne and she survived the crash, although with some long lasting effects.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I've got another 19GT story, they really are one of the worlds most underated cars.

Many many years ago people I knew were involved in historic rallying in a wild little Cortina. The wife used to drive a BX19GT, as car do get old she replaced the BX with something Peugeot and the BX was parked down the back yard for a year or more.

One Saturday when getting the Cortina ready for an event that night something broke and the car wasn't going to make it so they walked up to the BX (it hadn't been started for over a year) put a battery and some fuel in and off it went as if it had never been left.

Make up and fit a crude driving light bar to mount the super oscars and remove the glove box to fit the halda and hay presto, instant rally car.

The event was up around Beechworth which is in the middle of the mountains and very twisty. The BX was clocked at 160kph on the straights (and the straight arent very long) and someone got a photo of it coming down the mountain with the front discs glowing red hot and they won the event 1st outright.

Surprised them and everybody else.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Tadpole

The 19GT was a great car of the mid 80's.I picked mine up in Paris in Feb 85 and drove it round Europe on Holidays for 6mths on TT plates.RHD so brought it home and it went straight from the shipping container to the Citroen stand at the 85 Sydney Motor show.Well remember Geoff Harris from Ian Robinson Motors having to clean 6mths of road grime from the car while it was on the stand.1st 19GT in the country.Fond memories.

There's a BX 8v GTI in Willoughby NSW (UFO knows the car) - private import!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by millsy57 View Post
    The 19GT was a great car of the mid 80's.I picked mine up in Paris in Feb 85 and drove it round Europe on Holidays for 6mths on TT plates.RHD so brought it home and it went straight from the shipping container to the Citroen stand at the 85 Sydney Motor show.Well remember Geoff Harris from Ian Robinson Motors having to clean 6mths of road grime from the car while it was on the stand.1st 19GT in the country.Fond memories.
    You should chase it and see if it is still around!

Fellow Frogger!

stoopid dupe post!!!
    Last edited by 2bxornot2bx; 12th February 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: dupe post

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by michael16v View Post
    I too had a BXGT for 200,000KM+ of fun - driving and working on it The driving light switch, from memory, is on the LHS at the bottom of the switch cluster that operates the lights. Click it "in" for on/off. Great switch arrangement; just extend the fingers and there they are. Very CX like.
    I have a used carby, distributer and cap here if you want them. Cost of postage only.
    Have fun
    Michael
    C5HDI
    BX TRI Estate
    BX16v

I'll have those parts for my GT if he doesnt want them!!!

Oh and BTW..(and not meaning to hijack the thread), but my GT was from Nowra a while back...Yours didnt happen to be metallic green by any chance, that had a damage hole in the resin tail gate.

Also... Yes I can confirm that the driving light switch as lower left on binnacle
    Last edited by 2bxornot2bx; 12th February 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

"Oh and BTW..(and not meaning to hijack the thread), but my GT was from Nowra a while back...Yours didnt happen to be metallic green by any chance, that had a damage hole in the resin tail gate."

I would have called mine more a metalic blue'ish; but could be mine as I did not know of any other BXGT in Nowra. Des it look like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got a BX19 GT today.-img_0346.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

"Oh and BTW..(and not meaning to hijack the thread), but my GT was from Nowra a while back...Yours didnt happen to be metallic green by any chance, that had a damage hole in the resin tail gate."

I would have called mine more a metalic blue'ish; but could be mine as I did not know of any other BXGT in Nowra. Des it look like this?

No ...it was definitely green ...albeit VERY faded...and I say was because this GT is now black

Fellow Frogger!

Well have been busy getting the car ready for a road worthy. Took it for a road worthy last Friday, got a call from the place and they said it wasn't checked and they wouldn't charge. A mechanic just walked around the car and said it was too old and looked too worn out, useless bastard. Have got the car booked in for an inspection tomorrow with someone sympathetic to old cars.

On another bad note the car was parked across the road from DS Motors for one day and the police visited me to give me a fine for it on a complaint from a neighbour.

The engine belts have been replaced as have drivers side steering arm, battery, tail lights, washer tank and wipers. When I went to swap tail light lens (GT's are faded like a Datsun 200B)I found out they were different brands and had to swap the whole unit.

Has anyone ever changed the rear black rubber spoiler on one of these?

Thanks for the offer of parts, may need some interior bits.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

How can the police fine you .... I'd be unbolting the exhaust and letting the neighbours now what I think of them at about 3:00am each night for the next week.

A few blips @ 5000rpm next to there bedroom windows should do it

I think you'll find the GT about a million times more enjoyable than one of those horrible 16trs slugomatics. For starters ... just sitting in it ....... The seats are actually comfortable!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane, weren't the GT seats just a different cloth from the TRS? I thought it was only in 16valve and late TZi that the seat shape was changed?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

The GT seats feel very different to the TRS seats, a 100% improvement.

Fellow Frogger!

Woo Hoo! Got the roadworthy certificate for my BX19 GT today, thank you Peter Whitbourne Automotive of Wilston. He was sympathetic to older cars and I noticed in the garage an FJ Holden speedway car, a HQ Holden street machine/drag car, a 350 Chev marine engine and the junior mechanic had one of the nicest stock LC Torana 6s I have seen.

Tomorrow I get insurance and registration.

Fellow Frogger!

Have fun
    Michael
    C5HDI
    BX TRI Estate
    BX16v
    Did you want to donate those parts to me if they haven't yet been taken??

Thanks

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bxornot2bx View Post
    Did you want to donate those parts to me if they haven't yet been taken??

Thanks
    No problems. They are just taking up space here.
    PM me you postal address and I will work out the cost of post. Should not be much.

Cheers

Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Haven't been driving the car for the last week, belt started squealing very loudly even though belt was tight. Had the hydraulic pump and belt replaced on Friday and all seemed good. Now the car won't kick over at all and it seems the seven year old battery may need to be replaced. The indicator on the battery is still glowing green and all the lights work but must not have enough power to turn the starter.

Hope nothing else needs replacement after this, I just want to drive it.

Default battery terminals

Check the battery terminals, I swapped batteries last week 'cause of poor starting, the "gooder" one wouldn't even kick over till I cleaned the terms, and then I measured the "badder" one at 13.5 volts..

Thread Information