DS reverse light switch
  • Register
  • Help
    mnm

Default DS reverse light switch

Greetings all

Advertisement

I was changing my gearbox oil today. I have a reverse light switch for the car but I couldn't work out where it goes.. if at all. The DecidedlySpecial is 4 speed.. you can see in Greenbloods pic where it goes but the forward casing is completely diferent..(5 speed?) to mine. Can anyone help?

thanks muchly

Matthew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS reverse light switch-2before-por.jpg  

Here's where it is on Moby Dick's 4 speeder. (Definitely Special)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS reverse light switch-reverse-switch.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Here's where it is on Moby Dick's 4 speeder. (Definitely Special)

Cheers, Pottsy

Thanks Pottsy

yes that's what mine looks like.. there's a little bolt in that position at the moment.. certainly not a big enough thread for the one on the reverse light switch though....hmmm

Matthew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Greetings all

I was changing my gearbox oil today. I have a reverse light switch for the car but I couldn't work out where it goes.. if at all. The DecidedlySpecial is 4 speed.. you can see in Greenbloods pic where it goes but the forward casing is completely diferent..(5 speed?) to mine. Can anyone help?

thanks muchly

Matthew
    Matthew,

Not sure about RHD cars, but at least the ID's we got in the US there was a period where they did not have a back up switch mounted on the transmission. The cover plate looks just like the one pictured in the parts books - it only has a small breather hole. Tranny's with the backup switch are a different casting and have a 14x1.5 threaded hole for the switch.

Steve

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    Matthew,

Not sure about RHD cars, but at least the ID's we got in the US there was a period where they did not have a back up switch mounted on the transmission. The cover plate looks just like the one pictured in the parts books - it only has a small breather hole. Tranny's with the backup switch are a different casting and have a 14x1.5 threaded hole for the switch.

Steve
    Brilliant.. thanks Steve.. that mystery is solved. All I need now then is the different cover plate... the search begins....

Matthew

Brilliant.. thanks Steve.. that mystery is solved. All I need now then is the different cover plate... the search begins....

Matthew
    Were reversing lights fitted for 1970 UK cars?
    Does the car have the wires ready to go in the wiring loom?
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

UFO

Has an accessory finally been found that Matthew will not be able to fit to this car?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Were reversing lights fitted for 1970 UK cars?
    Does the car have the wires ready to go in the wiring loom?
    If the car does have wiring for it, there is a small group of 4 wires about under the alternator. Two of them are for the oil pressure (a 3mm Citroen pin) and the temperature sensor (a 4mm Citroen pin). Those should be white and blue, respectively. The other two will be the connection for the back-up lamps (both are 4mm)- purple, which is power out to the switch, and yellow, which is out to the lamps. The power is ignition switched. The power out continues out to the rear connection group, which for you guys should be right next to the air box on the passenger side, under the dash. The connection there is still yellow. Take care, because the connection for the fuel gauge is also yellow, but a 4mm male! It continues out the rear harness to the back.

Just look first for the group of four connectors at the alt. That should tell you.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Has an accessory finally been found that Matthew will not be able to fit to this car?
    Lol! I have no idea what you could possibly mean Craig!.

I have a new dash loom to fit at some stage.. The car already has reversing lamps activated by a pull knob on the dash but that only works if the driving lights are on as well...so I just wanted to mount the reverse switch and avoid the hassle.

Thanks for the tips

Matthew

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Lol! I have no idea what you could possibly mean Craig!.

I have a new dash loom to fit at some stage.. The car already has reversing lamps activated by a pull knob on the dash but that only works if the driving lights are on as well...so I just wanted to mount the reverse switch and avoid the hassle.

Thanks for the tips

Matthew
    You say you already have the new loom? If that's the case, it's simple enough to add a pair of wires in a 'layover' harness so you can fit the back-up lamps to the transmission switch. You can tap power from the positive side of the coil, add a single fuse (shouldn't need to be any bigger than 10A), and use the power out wire to where the lamps come into your current switch. Very easy, especially when you're replacing the main harness anyway. You won't even need to do a connector at the alternator, just run the wire right out to the switch. I just do the 4 connector way because that's the way the factory setups are.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    You say you already have the new loom? If that's the case, it's simple enough to add a pair of wires in a 'layover' harness so you can fit the back-up lamps to the transmission switch. You can tap power from the positive side of the coil, add a single fuse (shouldn't need to be any bigger than 10A), and use the power out wire to where the lamps come into your current switch. Very easy, especially when you're replacing the main harness anyway. You won't even need to do a connector at the alternator, just run the wire right out to the switch. I just do the 4 connector way because that's the way the factory setups are.
    Cool.. that's what I was hoping.. just need the cover plate now..

Matthew

Cool.. that's what I was hoping.. just need the cover plate now..

Matthew
    Should be no trouble to get a cover down to you.

Thread Information