DS cabin fan
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS cabin fan

mnm

Default DS cabin fan

Greetings all

after a wonderful break in Spain I'm back at Mum's having a final respite before I go back to work..ugh!! What better way to relax and unwind than do some jobs on the Decidedly Special!!.

Anyway, the cabin electric fan started making a hideous noise yesterday.. like the blades were spinning against the housing.. I pulled back the air hose and had a feel inside and the fan drum seems a bit wobbly.. so i'm asking if anyone has experience with these things??

Advertisement

Have I lost a bush or something? Are the electric motors repairable?? The fan on the right side or the car is practically useless.. I can blow harder than that!!

Any advice most welcome.

Matthew

(I must still be jet lagged..re reading this post..)

PS I don't want to bore you with holiday snaps but I just threw in 2 pics of the windmalls on the La Mancha plains, aka Don Quixote..over a thousand years old..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS cabin fan-spain-2012-219.jpg   DS cabin fan-spain-2012-227.jpg   DS cabin fan-don_quixote_desc.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome home,

The fan motors changed over time, and supplied by different factories. earlier ones are built with the motor fully enclosed, while later ones have "ventilation" housings that allow the armature to get fresh air ( and all that that entails in the form of dust rocks and insects )...remember the ducting comes from down in the front bumper and has a mesh only to screen the air before it gets to the fan motor.
    They are a simple job to remove...but first ensure that the sound you notice is not just the metal screen engaging on the impeller..the duct is barely attached to anything and can be dislodged and pushed too far in.... I presume we are talking the heater radiator sode and not the drivers side..either way they are easily removed, but be careful as the fan housing is mounted on rubber grommets that have metal inserts that at this age will be loose inside the rubber mounts. Pull the thing apart it will probably amaze you with the amount of crud inside..and appeal to the entymologist in you too.

Hi Matthew, the driver's side cabin fan in my DS21 sounded like it had a mouse in it. I took the motor apart and gave it a liberal sprinkling of graphite powder. The mouse is gone, but it's definitely not as powerful as the fans in my DS23 so it's obviously still not perfect. Alas.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    Hi Matthew, the driver's side cabin fan in my DS21 sounded like it had a mouse in it. I took the motor apart and gave it a liberal sprinkling of graphite powder. The mouse is gone, but it's definitely not as powerful as the fans in my DS23 so it's obviously still not perfect. Alas.

Hi Michael

yes mine was squeaking a bit off and on but the other noise started yesterday.. this is the left one I'm talking about..with the heater matrix. The driver side one is the piss weak one.

Matthew

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hi Michael

yes mine was squeaking a bit off and on but the other noise started yesterday.. this is the left one I'm talking about..with the heater matrix. The driver side one is the piss weak one.

Matthew
    Unfortunately to determine if it's the fan loose on the shaft or if a bushing gave up, you'll likely have to pull the fan. One thing you might be able to do is tap the fan attachment clip and try to get the fan to tighten up a bit, but you've got to be gentle- too much force can drive the shaft into the motor and wreck it.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

I wonder if a more modern one can't be adapted... EBAY LINKS
    I will look into it soon i hope...

Harley

Thread Information