The old GS wagon - pics for Donat
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default The old GS wagon - pics for Donat

Hi again, especially to Donat.

Hopefully I have attached the pics of the old GS.

When I recently looked at that register, it really hit me and for some strange reason I feel like I have lost a limb

I got it mid 90's and sold late 90's. Don't nit pick too much, as I didn't know much about Cits then and the GS's should have beige wheels, chrome strips don't go above wheel arches, and under boot should be delta blue like the rest of the body.

It was one owner, 74 with full history and had the Citroen factory GS mudflaps.

Serge Touveron rebuilt the engine and did lots of mechanical work and it was superb at the time of sale.

AJ sent me the pic of it 7 or so years later, and you can see that it became untidy.... That is the last pic.

That colour on GS estate is really magical, and I do not think that I have seen another one in DB.

My girlfriend at the time named "her" Arwon Evenstar - Tolkien, I think.....as the GS reminded her of the blue sky

When I sold it, I was doing a lot of music performance work in Sydney, and found it really hot in summer and underpowered. I needed something modern and more powerful, and went for a Saab. But I have regretted selling it ever since and miss it terribly.

It went to The Point in Victoria with different plates (or no plates), and the person who bought it off AJ has drifted off the face of the earth it seems.

If anybody knows the whereabouts of a tired and neglected blue GS estate, sitting in a shed, street, paddock or whatever, please let me know. If gone, well that is extremely sad too but worth asking.

Chris Mortimer

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The old GS wagon - pics for Donat-cit1.jpg   The old GS wagon - pics for Donat-cit2.jpg   The old GS wagon - pics for Donat-cit3.jpg   The old GS wagon - pics for Donat-g5_-_g6.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Default GS door strips

Oh, and the strips - AJ didn't add, and nor did I.

Not sure how they ended up on the car in last pic (2004).

Chris

It sure is a nice colour. These photos make me want to find it too! I hope you do find it if it's not too far gone.

I really like those chrome strips along the wheel arches too.

Awwwww Chris, you're making us all feel sad.
    I spent about 6 months trying to find a good GS wagon in that colour some 29 years ago (I buy cars by colour, I've been known to walk away from good buys because they weren't an acceptable shade). I got to the point that I'd started to look at CXs, until the weekend I found and bought my first Citroen, the car in my avatar that I still use for club events.
    Every time I see a GS in that colour I still wish I'd found one, particularly one that looks as good as yours did.
    Hopefully it still might surface in a shed somewhere.
    Certainly there's a few people joining you in hoping it will.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

She looked amazing in her day. I hope it's much the same now - only one can hope.

I like this colour on a GS - blues certainly suit them.

Thanks for sharing.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Default Gs

Bruce, I would love to see more pics of your car too. It looks beautiful.

My GS came from the Lawler family who owned or still own Glenworth Valley, a horse rance and riding school at Peats Ridge on Central Coast, north of Sydney.

I found it in Trading Post, and was told to view in a garage at Thornleigh.

It was totally original, and had the factory mudflaps, beige wheels, all else as original.

It needed work, and I had this done, but not interior. It was good throughout my ownership, and stunning after paint was done.

When I decided to sell, there was no internet so it went in Sydney Morning Herald for a Friday and Saturday. I thought there might be a call or two, but the phone rang 30 - 40 times, for the whole weekend. Many tyre kickers, a nationality of two calling due to the "prestige" of Citroen, some wanting a project, some wanting a car to shuttle the family around, collectors, and on Sunday afternoon, the eventual buyer showed up. Apparently he had persued another GS through the streets of Sydney trying to buy off the owner, but not successful.

At the time, I was young and though it was cool to get my money back on a car, and see it go to a good home, I was thinking ahead to my next car (ignorant!!).

However, over the years, I have realised what a mistake it was to let go of a fine car, and it really was lovely back then. It has been at the back of my mind, then hit me like a stack of bricks when I noticed the GS register.

When I saw AJ's picture, I was not too suprised. I still feel very sad.

There can't be too many blue GS estates out there, and if you have any info on where one might be, potentially this one, I would love to know.

Delta Blue on this era Citroen has got to be one of the best colours, and I recently saw Michaels's beautiful DS (with the white one). It brought back fond memories.

I would hope that we all care about these oldies, and want to see them preserved for as long as possible, so let's hope that even a GS like this is out in a shed, street or field somewhere. Any leads would be appreciated, but if not, let's hope it is resting in peace.

Chris

Default Here she is

When Mark B sold her
    Citroen GS WAGON and many spares
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Hmmm, chassis numbers are 3 apart. Have I transcribed incorrectly somewhere, I wonder.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    When I sold it, I was doing a lot of music performance work in Sydney, and found it really hot in summer and underpowered. I needed something modern and more powerful, and went for a Saab. But I have regretted selling it ever since and miss it terribly.

Chris Mortimer
    Chris for random mention your post recalls a past but very pleasant friend of mine Piers C of guitar repute who moved on to Sydney. He was also a true automotive enthusiast and especially so of his GS Break, the virtues of which he would extol to anyone with an open mind.

In those days I had two Novocastrian mates who owned and loved their GS Breaks, but alas at that time i was bogged down within the local V8 mire and couldn't see the obvious appeal of these stellar little vehicles. Thanks for allowing me to reminisce, and to regret that I didn't appreciate them sooner.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

+1 on that, Nota. If I could, I would do a straight trade, my CX Prestige for a GS 1220 Break in a heartbeat. I've had 2 GS Sedans- no small feat in the US- and I've always considered the GS one of the best mid-range cars ever built. The Break simply makes the GS perfect.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Default GS break

He guys above, I could not agree more.

And I am saddened all these years later by my own foolish behavior, but I guess 15 year later, my circumstances are different to what they were at the time, and a full rescue no wouldn't be out of the question slowly but surely!!!

Yep, they are a great size and that car cruised very well and was a joy to drive when I sold it. No rattles and tight.

I am amazed that it has just GONE. Tracking the car down is not going to be easy, and the guy AJ sold to seems to not want to want contact from hangers on like me!!!! So finding would if it is alive of dead is going to be tricky.

AJ sent me a reply last week with an old rego sticker of the car with HFT189 in his hands. Isn't that the kind of enthusiasm we all love?

The chassis for that car btw is GXGC08GC3836

I guess when a car "dies", either it gets removed and scrapped for metal, gets pulled apart, or goes into a shed of left in a paddock with other cars. It would just great to know which of these is applicable, because I don't think it was put back on the road, unless there are any other delta blue wagons out there.

Chris

It sounds to me like you're ready for another GS, Chris!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thread Information