Club permit for new aquisition
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! deesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    563

    Default Club permit for new aquisition

    Hi folks,
    I have just bought an old (1972) citroen privately which is registered in VIC. I wish to put the car on a club permit and wish to avoid paying the transfer stamp duty (a lot of $'s). Vic Roads have told me once that it is not payable and once it is. So would like to hear of others experience with this. I will of course get a RWC. I am hoping I can also get a refund for 6 months of rego remaining on the car. I suppose one hurdle will be untill the rego is transferred the previous owner will get the refund. If I have a receipt of sale from the previous owner is that enough for them to pay it to me.

    Anyway if anyone can shed some light on this tricky manouvre then I would love to hear.

    Advertisement


    cheers

    Tony

  2. #2
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,334

    Default

    Drive it home, cancel the rego. If you get the car viewed by a club that has it's own safety officer you do not need a roadworthy ( ie: CCOCA ). You DO NOT take the car to vicroads, just head up there with your permit application and letter from the club saying the car is safe for road use. it will cost you $66.10 for 45days with no stamp duty, no plate fee ..... no fees at all. You can pay another $66.10cents later in the year if you want the full 90days.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Drive it home, cancel the rego. If you get the car viewed by a club that has it's own safety officer you do not need a roadworthy ( ie: CCOCA ). You DO NOT take the car to vicroads, just head up there with your permit application and letter from the club saying the car is safe for road use. it will cost you $66.10 for 45days with no stamp duty, no plate fee ..... no fees at all. You can pay another $66.10cents later in the year if you want the full 90days.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    You still need a roadworthy first time I think with CCOCA. As its registered now can't see how you will avoid stamp duty. get the seller to agree to a low 'face'value. You should then be able to cash in remaining fulll reg.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  4. #4
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,334

    Default

    seriously, no stamp duty, no plate fees, no transfer fees. Front up with a RWC or letter from the club safety officer and it's done. Most painless experience you'll ever have at Vicroads

    You don't have to use CCCV orf CCOCA, if you have a local club you can join that if there willing to grant you access to the club rego scheme (it also avoids having to travel to Melbourne etc...).

    Eg: Ballarat has a vintage and veteran club that had a very impressive range and display of cars that I saw at a display recently. I could join a local club such as that. (they even had a little mesershmit there).

    I put a CX on club rego a few weeks back. The most painless, easiest experience I've ever had a VicRoads.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    182

    Default club rego

    I think everyone needs to remember that car clubs want new active members in their clubs. Someone just wanting to use any club for cheap permit to drive an old car is not likely to be very welcome at most clubs and the club has no requirement to approve any particular permit.

    The issue of a permit is at the club's discretion and they also have a responsibility to ensure the permit scheme is not abused by their membership. So if the system is working properly then it is not a short cut to avoid normal registration cost or normal stamp duty costs.

    In the case of CCOCA there is an option of RWC or club safety check. This is at the discretion of the safety officers. Generally speaking a DS would need a RWC in the first instance due to their complexity.If the safety officer has any doubts about the vehicles safety then he can default to the RWC option - totally at his discretion.

    Hawk

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    sorrento
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Here here Hawk,, the original question mentions 'tricky manouvre' I don't think our club permit officers are very keen on them
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

  7. #7
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Generally speaking a DS would need a RWC in the first instance due to their complexity.
    I would have more faith in the DS knowledge of a CCOCA or CCCV safety inspector than a RWC tester.

    Roger

  8. #8
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,334

    Default

    I'd be strongly suggesting joining CCOCA or CCCV. Either is good, infact a lot of people are a member of both! Given your location is "melbourne", you would be crazy not to join one of these clubs and meet a great bunch of people.

    If you lived out in the middle of regional victoria somewhere I'd be pointing you in direction of this for a read:

    http://feralsportscarclub.net/CarClub.html

    Given your in melbourne where the Citroen car clubs are based you would be crazy not to join the melbourne clubs.

    I don't get how anyone could ever "abuse" the scheme (why are people always so worried about this scheme being "abused" ). No matter what club you are a member of. You can use the car 90days a year at your own discretion. It is not up to the club to enforce the vehicles usage, this is for victoria police to worry about. Just fill in your logbook ..... and enjoy

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  9. #9
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    they get worries about abuse because the car can be used for other than club events

    they also fear that people will only join the club for the permit and not attend events

    both wrong in my opinion

    the permit allows people to use their vehicle a little more often with some freedom and have more faith in using the car for club events as it is going to be a more reliable vehicle

    it's a win win

    cars are more reliable

    people are more inclined to use the car for a club event having faith it will be reliable
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Trading Estate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I think everyone needs to remember that car clubs want new active members in their clubs. Someone just wanting to use any club for cheap permit to drive an old car is not likely to be very welcome at most clubs and the club has no requirement to approve any particular permit.

    The issue of a permit is at the club's discretion and they also have a responsibility to ensure the permit scheme is not abused by their membership. So if the system is working properly then it is not a short cut to avoid normal registration cost or normal stamp duty costs.

    In the case of CCOCA there is an option of RWC or club safety check. This is at the discretion of the safety officers. Generally speaking a DS would need a RWC in the first instance due to their complexity.If the safety officer has any doubts about the vehicles safety then he can default to the RWC option - totally at his discretion.

    Hawk
    Current CCOCA info in magazine might need to be expanded Ted, as it states
    "CH PLATES
    CH permit applications must be accompanied by a RWC.
    The onus is on owners to demonstrate that their cars are
    safe. Feel free to consult our Permit Officers for advice
    regarding getting your car on the road, and keeping it
    going"


    Dave
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

  11. #11
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,334

    Default

    Hi 'Rambo,

    I don't think CCOCA or CCCV are like that at all, there a great bunch of people.

    Most car clubs *are* facing the very real problem of aging membership. If placing an old CX/GS/DS on club rego can be used as a tool to attract younger members, this can only be good for the club as a whole. It gets more cars on the roads to be seen by the public, and will bring younger members into the club (even if they struggle to find the time to actively participate in the club much due to young families etc...).

    The ageing membership problem isn't just car clubs, it appears to be almost all clubs. The public hall I used to live oppposite I'm now the bloody president of the comittee that runs it (I'm still trying to work out how I managed that, I was hoping to get out of the comittee full stop). You see the people running all these old comittees and clubs are getting on into there 80's .... and the younger generations have no intention of taking over the responsibilities ( remembering these days most families have two full time working parents leaving little time for this sort of stuff).

    I don't know what will happen with a lot of clubs of all types over the next 10years ... I fear a lot will close up and dissapear.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Hi folks,
    I have just bought an old (1972) citroen privately which is registered in VIC. I wish to put the car on a club permit and wish to avoid paying the transfer stamp duty (a lot of $'s). Vic Roads have told me once that it is not payable and once it is. So would like to hear of others experience with this. I will of course get a RWC. I am hoping I can also get a refund for 6 months of rego remaining on the car. I suppose one hurdle will be untill the rego is transferred the previous owner will get the refund. If I have a receipt of sale from the previous owner is that enough for them to pay it to me.

    Anyway if anyone can shed some light on this tricky manouvre then I would love to hear.

    cheers

    Tony
    If you want to have the remainder of the registration refunded to you and not to the previous owner I would think that the transfer fee is unavoidable to get it into your name. Bear in mind that the market value is now the sole basis to calculate the transfer fee --- not the purchase price! A 72 Citroen would have a market value amounting to cents only. However its collector value would be huge in some cases. It may be better just to pay the fee. It would depend on the anticipated refund for Reg and TAC. Bear in mind that there is also an administration charge from VicRoads to process the refund.
    Cheers Gerry

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne,victoria,australia
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    my experience with club rego is positive...
    I have 2 cars on club plates..one with 90 days and the other with 45 days...well it's almost been a year and I have hardly dented my alloted days and for me there is no need to think of cheating the system...
    with another 2 cars on full reg having a sensible club logbook system without previous restrictions are positive...
    If anything it has encouraged me to keep up the classic car ownership..
    the only thing on the horizon is now the scheme is introduced I fear the yearly fee's will soon increase dramatically and words to that effect were received with my logbook renewal...
    fingers crossed
    Rev. Dogboy


    1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Wouldn't a buyer normally be liable for the transfer fee and duty as soon as they've purchased a registered vehicle. If the registration is cancelled before the purchase, that may be different, but to be able to cancel it, you'd have to own it, which surely means you'd have to effect the transfer before the cancellation? It may be less clear when buying interstate though.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne,victoria,australia
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Wouldn't a buyer normally be liable for the transfer fee and duty as soon as they've purchased a registered vehicle. If the registration is cancelled before the purchase, that may be different, but to be able to cancel it, you'd have to own it, which surely means you'd have to effect the transfer before the cancellation? It may be less clear when buying interstate though.
    The easiest way is to say to the seller...cancel the reg and take the amount off my purchase price
    simple....
    Rev. Dogboy


    1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    The easiest way is to say to the seller...cancel the reg and take the amount off my purchase price
    simple....
    ... and if one failed to do that, then it's probably too late, especially if they've submitted a notice of disposal reporting the name of the buyer.

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    melbourne,victoria,australia
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    ... and if one failed to do that, then it's probably too late, especially if they've submitted a notice of disposal reporting the name of the buyer.
    yep...true
    Rev. Dogboy


    1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Hi Dave,
    I now see that the magazine states thr RWC as the starting point. Thanks for raising that point.

    I haven't been President of CCOCA for a while but I think that this information is incorrect or more correctly incomplete. I believe the Safety Officers still have a discretion in the decision/situation. I'm happy to be corrected if any CCOCA committee persons are on this site.

    The magazine statement needs to be corrected or confirmed.

    Hawk

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! deesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Thanks for all the info folks. Based on what you have said I think I will ask the previous owner to cancel the rego. They have not submitted any notice of disposal form as the only forms we filled out were the rego transfer (in my possession and not yet submitted) and a receipt. I will then get my RWC (before the cancellation) and the relevant documents from the club (Alfa club at the moment) then get my club permit. The vehicle in question is an SM, and I will join the Citroen club once I have recovered from the costs.

    cheers Tony
    Last edited by deesse; 2nd February 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: forgo to add name

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •