C5 undertray
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 undertray

Tadpole

Default C5 undertray

Hello all
    the plastic undertray( cover under engine) took a pounding on my 2003 C5 HDI. OEM $400+ no luck with wreckers they use a fork to get them off the truck so they get broken. UK ebay good price but will not post. Any ideas?
    Rob

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Yes, vulnerable and hard to find in good order. Some people have stuck them back together, making a sandwich of some kind of sheet and urethane. I once saw one with wooden strakes holding it together.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 undertray

David, try getting one made out of aluminium, as for sound problems you could spray it with a compound that deadens noise.

Tadpole

How badly wrecked is it? I lost two bolts and dragged the undertray like a street-sweeper on the freeway once. No wonder the car felt sluggish!
    I found a strip of bracketing at the hardware store bolted through that to secure the right hand side. The right corner is missing taking with it one of the bolt holes. (By bracketing I mean thin but stiff sheets with holes at regular intervals.)
    But my damage was minor YMMV. You might be able to use the stiff bracket and short bolts with nuts and wide washers to hold it together, as long as the extra weight doesn't bend it down.

1000+ Posts

Default undertray !

Hi
    Yea a problem. High parking barriers cause damage as well as other things. Don't they have these things in France ??? Mine is a bit higher than usual too.

I repaired mine with a piece of 3mm waterproof ply. Had it available and just attached it with self tapper to the plastic bits where it touched. It's full width and ties the bumper to the undertray. Works ok and been on there for a few years now. Its a bit more unscrewing to change the oil but so what theres a few anyway. I should just put a hole there !

Jaahn

Thread Information