Central locking.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Central locking.

A friend gets out of his car (my old 2003 C5) and walks to his appointment. On his way, without turning, he presses the lock button on the key. No problem???? YES!! a big one. His wife was locked in the car. On returning sometime later he found a very distressed wife. She could not even open the window.

How many times has this happened in cars with this system of locking?

There should be an override for an occupant locked in the car. On a really hot day this situation could be very serious.

Advertisement

Any comments?. Allan

JBN

Depending upon the state of the relationship, this could be a very handy feature.

I must give it a go some time, though I expect my spouse will probably pull up the manual door lock in the Xantia and let herself out. Done on either the passengers door or drivers door unlocks the cars central locking.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    A friend gets out of his car (my old 2003 C5) and walks to his appointment. On his way, without turning, he presses the lock button on the key. No problem???? YES!! a big one. His wife was locked in the car. On returning sometime later he found a very distressed wife. She could not even open the window.

How many times has this happened in cars with this system of locking?

There should be an override for an occupant locked in the car. On a really hot day this situation could be very serious.

Any comments?. Allan
    Has it not got a dash button to unloc/loc?, [alongside the radio with a picture of a padlock on it] mine has.

SMM

Isn't this a case of "user error". On my old C5 - if you pushed the lock button twice on the remote, you activated a dead-lock.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Has it not got a dash button to unloc/loc?, [alongside the radio with a picture of a padlock on it] mine has.
    Even if there is, the passenger might have a spot of difficulty working that out after discovering he/she was locked into a car!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

UFO

It specifically says in the handbooks of Citroens with deadlocking functionality to NOT leave people in the car and deadlock it. Once is locked, TWICE is deadlocked and you cannot use the door handles or lock buttons to get out of the car. I did a window down test on my own car one day recently. The keyfob or key in the door is the only way to unlock a deadlocked car without inflicting damage to the car.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Tried mine for the first time, and yes the dash button only locks the outside handles, the doors can still be opened from the inside, unless the car has been locked using the remote, then the dash button doesn't work. The remote only locks the car when the key is removed from the ign. Hence the dash lock button to prevent unauthorized criminal entry including into the boot when stationary, such as traffic lights etc. But the doors auto lock when the car starts moving anyway. Mine locks around the 2 gear change time. I'm told that if you have the factory alarm system then you won't have the dash lock button, don't know if that's right or not.
    But

Tried both C5's today. Latest one. One press on the lock button, the car can be opened from inside. Two presses all locked (deadlock). Can't get out. Central lock on dash does not operate. C5 2003 one press all deadlocked. I don't have the instructions to see if this can be changed on the locking settings.

UFO

The outcome of this is that when someone is staying in the car and they wished the doors to be locked then they should do it, using the interior button, not the driver with the remote.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Even more worrying, I thought the C5s auto locked after a certain time. I seem to remember a story from a member when his C5 V6 was new, did this when he left his wife in the car while he went off to get something. Returned to find a very distressed partner.

Moral is to leave a window open if you are staying in the car, but then again don't they automatically wind the windows up if it starts to rain. So must not stay in the car in hot or rainy weather by yourself.

Got to love the Gen 1 central locking on the CX. You use the key. Your companion would certainly wake up to the fact that you were up to no good if you tried to lock her in the car with the key. Then again you can always open it from the inside. Modern cars to complicated for their own good?
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Even more worrying, I thought the C5s auto locked after a certain time. I seem to remember a story from a member when his C5 V6 was new, did this when he left his wife in the car while he went off to get something. Returned to find a very distressed partner.

Moral is to leave a window open if you are staying in the car, but then again don't they automatically wind the windows up if it starts to rain. So must not stay in the car in hot or rainy weather by yourself.

Got to love the Gen 1 central locking on the CX. You use the key. Your companion would certainly wake up to the fact that you were up to no good if you tried to lock her in the car with the key. Then again you can always open it from the inside. Modern cars to complicated for their own good?
    Cits (and I suppose others) with key fob operated locking, they will automatically relock if you do not open a door or boot within 30 seconds of unlocking. I expect this is to counteract inadvertant button pushes as you walk away.

The member you mentioned has told this story a few times and always states that he locked the car as he walked away leaving his wife inside. He is also the same person who at an event at a club in the south western burbs of Sydney a couple of years ago feigned indifference when a storm came over and I mentioned he had left his car windows slightly open. "Oh it's ok, they'll shut themselves" and they didn't!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Tried mine for the first time, and yes the dash button only locks the outside handles, the doors can still be opened from the inside, unless the car has been locked using the remote, then the dash button doesn't work. The remote only locks the car when the key is removed from the ign. Hence the dash lock button to prevent unauthorized criminal entry including into the boot when stationary, such as traffic lights etc. But the doors auto lock when the car starts moving anyway. Mine locks around the 2 gear change time. I'm told that if you have the factory alarm system then you won't have the dash lock button, don't know if that's right or not.
    But
    Probably quite wrong on that auto lock when moving, wife having a little joke, Oh ha ha, and I didn't try very hard to open doors from outside while she was driving. Only going on the handbook, which is mainly wrong anyway, depends on model Eu, Au or Botswana evidently.

C3 auto locks after 10 minutes from memory.

Thread Information