Updating the Australian GS/A Register - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bruce
    Beige GS 1220 Club Convertisseur Wagon VB-4444 formerly owned by Roy Von Bock now living in Melbourne & on Vic Club plates with COCOA (14897-H). Colour AC 083, Body # GX-GC-08GC3845. 6/74 build, NSW rego records show 5 previous owners, first reg 1/75. If you need any other details or a digital image of the car for the database please PM me.

2 other GSs at Terang, Victoria
    Leconte and I got parts from these in late Jul and mid Aug 2012 before what was left was to be picked up and crushed. Also a 2200 Beige CX Super sedan on the same property SA reg VPC-077, destined for the same fate.

1978 Metallic Green GS Pallas sedan - former Vic Reg AHG-037, expiry date on label 20 Oct 2006. Current owner told us he drove them to where they currently sadly sit. Engine # 0647018708. We have dash, nice green bootlid and a few other parts. The engine in this was described as "smoky". From memory it was out of the car. Metallic Green same as Lamoor's GS before its restoration.

1975 GS Wagon manual Beige AC 083- will confirm last Victorian reg, this car was driven to Terang as recently as 2009 and came from around Maryborough, Central Victoria before this. Very badly rusted. We "saved" 4 doors, tailgate, dash, side windows of wagon area. And the engine and manual gearbox both of which the person we bought off had already removed from the car.

Advertisement

Digital images of both cars and the CX available.

Regards
    John
    Last edited by J'aime la vie; 1st November 2012 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks very much for the info - we now have a new contender for earliest 1015 chassis number on the register.
    John, I saved a photo of the Terang GS's that you posted, but unfortunately the Victorian rego label of the Pallas doesn't give a full chassis number, and I don't list by engine numbers as they get swapped too often.
    I'm hoping to get a few more cars and get this to Kimmo by the end of this month, so if anyone-else wants to add to the list, please do so.
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 77 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bruce,
    Leconte here, J'aime la vie's brother. I have a photo of the chassis plate of the green pallas from terang, it is manufactured 9/77 and chassis number 55GB2073. Type = "G/S". This is an aluminium plate of Citroen Cars (CITCO) pty ltd of 295 Broadway, Glebe NSW. This is an ADR plate like we see them on more recent cars. I went back to Terang and took a few more parts off the Pallas (dash, front spheres, a few other bits) but the cars were certainly lined up for the scrap metal merchant unfortunately.
    Is this enough to identify it? I think I took the plate off the car and bought it back, if so it is in a box of parts here or at my brothers house.
    Cheers, leconte

Thanks Leconte, that is the number I need. This car, as suggested by its grey headlight surrounds, was one of the first batch of the series 2 Pallas models imported to Australia. My gold one is the only other 55 I have on the Register, and it probably also going to be scrapped due to rust. Did either of you get the numbers from the wagon?
    Cheers
    Bruce H

Now 10 DS3 Dstyle; 99 Xantia SX; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 77 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club Estate; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Bruce,
    Yes, I have the number for the GS wagon from a photo of the plate. It is type GX, Serie GC, number 14GC3254. It was last registered in victoria as RBA-741. The engine number (we now have the engine) is 0645004301.

Regards,
    Leconte
    Last edited by Leconte; 6th November 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Whoops, made a bit of an error there - shouldn't rely on the memory. My early one is a 53, this green one and most the others of the first batch are 55's.
    Thanks for the details of the wagon.
    Bruce H

Thanks to all who have supplied information, it has been an enormous help.
    So far the GS/A Register is still looking rather short, even though I've now added scrapped cars to the list.
    76 vehicles in total - 9 x GXGA; 3 x GXGE (breaks); 16 x GXGB Club; 22 x GXGB Pallas; 18 x GXGC (breaks); 1 x GXGH; 5 x GSA; 2 x Birotor. The GSA's and Birotors I've listed even if I don't have chassis identifiers /VINs - they are so rare here they are unlikely to get confused.

As the experience with Chris M's old car has shown, listing only registration numbers creates problems with later identification, so unless there is an obvious way of identifying a car by unusual colour or modification I prefer to keep a vehicle out of the Register until a chassis number is known. If you know you've sent me only partial details, I'm keeping them elsewhere for the moment.

If you used to own a GS, or want your present car/s included please send me the following information by the end of the month:
    Model, Year, engine size and gearbox type, Chassis #, Colour (including code if disc is there)/ any past colour, known registration number/s, known location/s (general), owners (let me know if you don't want your name published), if you know if the car is scrapped, and a digital photo if possible.

I'm still chasing chassis numbers (or more) for cars that have had the following registration numbers/ descriptions: 504GAU/183AKA; Ex- Hemimetal and Graham66's orange wagon (don't have the first two numbers after GXGC); GS1222; AUS25H; OGS750; 061PUP; BH74PY; BM32TU; 938HMP/ZAM99.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. If you think you sent me the information BEFORE the great aussiefrogs crash, it was probably lost with the wiki, please check the register published on the website at the beginning of this year:http://www.citroenclubqld.org and resend any missing details if possible.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 13th November 2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: ps
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

Bruce, a great job being done by you. Let us keep the lovely GS alive forever. They are previous and will become a classic one day.

We had the TV on Sunday and there was a 70s movie on, and there is a lengthy scene involving a car carrier loaded with new GS's and AMI cars. WOW!!

i hope my old one turns up.

Chris M

You can add/update my car on the database:
    Rego - 760 HVB
    Paint/AC - 079
    No - 18GC8393
    Year -1976
    CC - 1220 (Big Block!!)
    Gearbox - Manual
    Colour - Cream
    Body Type - Wagon

Also, I think it is a UK Import?

Thanks
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew - will appear when the next update gets uploaded (there must be something about Andrews and GS's - 4 owners I can immediately think of with that name).
    Bruce H

WLB

I've never been able to find out what happened to mine.
    It was a 1974 GS 1220 Club.
    I bought it from a Holden dealer down around Cheltenham or Mentone in 1978. It was red and needed a new diff. It had belonged to a doctor. I bought a diff from a dealer in Kuala Lumpur and New Deal Motors in Dandenong put it in for me.
    I did it up and modified it a bit and sold it in the mid '80s to a guy from down Bairnsdale way.
    Apart from the addition of the later model tail-lights and boot lid trim, it had narrower rally bucket seats, a CX centre console with handbrake lever, power windows and cruise control, and a reupholstered back seat from a station wagon which allowed it to be folded down for a bigger load area.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    I've never been able to find out what happened to mine.
    It was a 1974 GS 1220 Club.

I did it up and modified it a bit and sold it in the mid '80s to a guy from down Bairnsdale way.
    Apart from the addition of the later model tail-lights and boot lid trim, it had narrower rally bucket seats, a CX centre console with handbrake lever, power windows and cruise control, and a reupholstered back seat from a station wagon which allowed it to be folded down for a bigger load area.

The Guy may have been Mel Carey or may be known to Mel. Contact him at Citro Motors and see if he knows.
    The modifications to the rear seat are a brilliant idea. I could always use a bit more load space in mine!
    Was there much hassle involved?
    Cheers Gerry

WLB

Thanks Gerry.
    My use of the word modification with respect to the rear seat changes is a slight exaggeration. All you need is a station wagon rear seat and squab with its piano hinge, and the 2 latches that lock the squab in the upright position at both top corners.

If you remove the trim where the latches go you'll find the mounting holes with (from memory) their captive nuts for attaching the latches. If you remove the sedan's seats and lift any insulating felt you'll find the row of screw holes for the piano hinge, and under the carpet next to the rear doors on either side you'll find the holes that take the wagon seat pivot bolts. It's so simple you wonder why it wasn't standard.

I once unscrewed and removed a standard rear seat from a GS to carry an exceptionally large load.

Roger

Is there much difference in the wagon seat from that of a standard seat or is it only the addition of the articulating components from the wagon?
    Cheers Gerry

I've never pulled a sedan seat apart so I could be wrong, but I think the base/squab structure could be much the same (if it varies it will be the rear section of its frame I would imagine). The backrest is quite a different structure, as the wagon has a metal backing and the ones I own don't have armrests.
    Bruce H

WLB

For memory, they're quite different. You're stretching my memory back 30 years, but I'm sure the sedan seat is one piece. The upholstered seat and squab are on a single tubular steel frame which lifts out of the car complete. It may even be located at the lower front corners by the same pivot points that the wagon seat hinges forward from. I can't remember how the top of the squab is fixed to the car. It may use the points where the wagon latches mount. I have a strong recollection that the sedan seat frame even sits on rubber feet or pads on the front edge of the boot floor.

I think the sedan seat assembly will even tilt forward if released at the top, until it hits the front seats.

But anyway, the whole thing is a piece of cake to swap over.

Tadpole

Updating the Australian GS/A Register-img_1525.jpgHi Bruce I have my blue Citroen Ds 23 Pallas up for sale on ebay at the moment, I'm trying to place a link in the se classifieds.

Vin. DSFG01FG6868

Regards
    Con

Hi Con
    Sorry but DS's are someone-else's sphere - I know there is a record being kept by a member here of early Australian D's, but I think the later ones are probably far too numerous for anyone to want to try to keep track of them all.
    Bruce H

Sorry to bombard the Citroen board through various threads, but I want everyone who may have been following the different threads where this has been mentioned to be aware of a new location.

An update:
    I have moved the Register to a new address that I can more easily update - http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html
    In the process I am still trying to recover images (too many dead and dying hard drives here) with decent resolution for the new Register, rather than the shrunken versions on the previous Register, so the new site may not be very visually stimulating for a while.
    As stated previously, if there are too many gaps in the data for a particular vehicle I am reluctant to list it online until fuller data is gathered.

We all know there are more vehicles out there, so any leads are appreciated. I am happy to list a VIN number and other details without publishing current number plates or owner/s if people are concerned about their privacy.

Yet again, if you know you sent me your information previously and your vehicle is no longer listed, please resend as the information may have been lost in one of the many migrations betweens different versions of this Register.

I will not be updating the GS Register on the CCCQ website, but would like to thank CCCQ webmasters for their assistance over the years.
    Bruce H

Just done another minor update, mainly the addition of a couple of cars and more photos to the GXGB Club page. My old computers' hard-drives look like they have definitely given up, so if there is no photo of your car on the website I have lost my copy, and would ask if you could please resend one, or post it here in a way I can copy.

WLB, have you been able to find any record showing the chassis number of your old car?

I welcome anyone who wants to photograph cars at shows outside Brisbane to feel welcome to send me one shot with the chassis number and any other details possible. As stated previously, I'm happy not to publish owner's names if people want to protect their privacy.
    Bruce H

WLB

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    WLB, have you been able to find any record showing the chassis number of your old car?
    Alas no, Bruce.
    It's a pity the AOMC's ex-VicRoads card file database isn't searchable by rego number.

Warwick

We've got one sitting at our panel beaters in Melton.

From memory its about a 78 pallas. It the 4 headlight version. Blue in colour.

We've had it for years, been sitting at the panel shop for probably 10.

The owner crashed it and we striped it and sent it to Paul, he replaced the LH inner gaurd and painted the engine bay (engine and box are out). The owner wanted a full resto seeing we've pulled it down and went on to say he'd just taken a new job in New Guinea and would send us money every month, that was 10 years ago and we've never heard from him or received a cracker. We've come to the conclusion that he has been eaten by cannibals and will never be seen again.

So, its straight but dismantled, lots of new stuff inside including 4 new headlight with plastic headlight surrounds, new gaurds.
    Its been in Pauls backyard for 4 or 5 years so don't expect much but it will need to be cleared or crushed.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    We've got one sitting at our panel beaters in Melton.

From memory its about a 78 pallas. It the 4 headlight version. Blue in colour.

We've had it for years, been sitting at the panel shop for probably 10.

The owner crashed it and we striped it and sent it to Paul, he replaced the LH inner gaurd and painted the engine bay (engine and box are out). The owner wanted a full resto seeing we've pulled it down and went on to say he'd just taken a new job in New Guinea and would send us money every month, that was 10 years ago and we've never heard from him or received a cracker. We've come to the conclusion that he has been eaten by cannibals and will never be seen again.

So, its straight but dismantled, lots of new stuff inside including 4 new headlight with plastic headlight surrounds, new gaurds.
    Its been in Pauls backyard for 4 or 5 years so don't expect much but it will need to be cleared or crushed.
    Your talking my price range Is it freshly painted with decent trim ?
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

So if anyone goes to look at it, can they take a photo of the car and of the chassis plate and paint code disc please?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information